The Possibility that Alien 3 and Resurrection could be dreams.

Started by shakermakerman, Feb 27, 2015, 09:10:45 AM

Author
The Possibility that Alien 3 and Resurrection could be dreams. (Read 12,649 times)

Magegg

Say whatever you want but it does actually make sense, as the last two movies were indeed very SURREAL... A human evil Bishop showing up by the end, the whole Ripley-becomes-Alien, Alien-becomes-Ripley's-baby, the absurdity of being cloned with a freaking Alien queen on her belly... It would f**king make sense  ;D

Son Of Kane

I'm calling it, not gonna happen.

Russ

Quote from: Son Of Kane on Mar 02, 2015, 04:34:44 PM
Also BTW I feel that the alternate timeline thing already exists- because for me personally no way in hell do I include the AVP films in the Alien continuity.

Yeah, you're not alone, but that becomes a little stickier with NB's concept, given Rippers and Hicks. Granted, Bishop was in AvP that's not as big a connection as the two main characters appearing.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Son Of Kane on Mar 02, 2015, 04:04:32 PM
Alternate timeline or nothing.

This.. STRONGLY this.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 02, 2015, 04:08:55 PM
It'd be the only clear way to do it. But my other problem lies in that that just isn't Aliens. Everyone mentions other these other franchises where its been done but that's because alternate worlds and timelines are endemic of those franchises (Superman, Star Trek, X-Men). Alien is rooted in the realm of "realistic sci-fi". It's mundane, it's boring, it's not warp speed or time travel or alternate worlds.

There are other franchises out there which happen to have alternate timelines without having to use a plot device as time travel. Some of these franchises are more grounded in reality than others. I'm the only one on this forum who has constantly pointed this out, numerous times and it has fallen on deaf ears. One of these franchises which uses alternate timelines/universes happens to be the Halloween franchise-- and it's definitely grounded in reality. We have the IV through VI timeline, and the H20 timeline. These timelines both branch off from Halloween II, but follow their own continuity paths.

Another franchise which utilizes alternate timelines/universe is Robocop. That franchise has five alternate timelines/universes, again without the need of time travel and without the need of a dimensional traveling device. You have the Robocop movie timeline, the Marvel-Sunbow timeline, Robocop Live-Action series timeline, Alpha Commando timeline and the Reboot timeline.

My point is... You can have alternate timelines/universes without having to use a plot-device such as time travel or a dimensional barrier break down. These things can co-exist without having to crossover into one another.

Time is non-linear, and according to some astrophysicist, for every reality that exists, there is another parallel to it which has completely different outcomes. Guys like Michio Kaku, Neil deGrasson Tyson, even acknowledge the possibility of alternate universes.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Mar 02, 2015, 04:41:59 PMI'm the only one on this forum who has constantly pointed this out, numerous times and it has fallen on deaf ears. One of these franchises which uses alternate timelines/universes happens to be the Halloween franchise-- and it's definitely grounded in reality. We have the IV through VI timeline, and the H20 timeline. These timelines both branch off from Halloween II, but follow their own continuity paths.

I hear what you're saying, but a largely daft slasher series about an immortal serial killer who continually resurrects himself really isn't grounded in reality...

NetworkATTH

I'm not saying it isn't cheap, it could be still cheap but made less cheap, if they allow them to be hypersleep dreams, given the series focus on dreaming. But, I would also rather have them just as a separate set of looking at things (hate the term alternate timeline). If the decision makers put them as dreams in hypersleep, that's up to them, and if they chose it I'll be disappointed but I could see where they're coming from. If they don't, hey, fantastic.

I'm just cautiously optimistic about this whole thing.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: NetworkATTH on Mar 02, 2015, 04:53:18 PMI'm not saying it isn't cheap, it could be still cheap but made less cheap, if they allow them to be hypersleep dreams, given the series focus on dreaming.

You can try and justify it any way you like, writing it off as dreams - even if it fits with the themes of the universe - is incredibly immature. It's the kind of story-telling a ten year-old would use. People keep trying to justify it, but there just isn't any way to make the concept anything other than a cheap, childish get-out clause.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 02, 2015, 04:49:20 PM
I hear what you're saying, but a largely daft slasher series about an immortal serial killer who continually resurrects himself really isn't grounded in reality...

"Grounded in reality".

I hear that a lot when it comes to the Alien-Predator franchise, but I think that we are forgetting that we are dealing with a fictional universe here. Grounded in reality. So are Star Trek and Star Wars, and you've even got members of the scientific community outright saying that their scientific achievements were largely inspired by the Star (both Trek and Wars) franchises more than Alien-- and both Star franchises actually have researched material when they use it, though that's mostly Trek.

Also, even if you did address my point regarding Halloween (which I would argue a serial killer in a mask is more realistic than an Alien that was developed by black slime and has a parasitic nature) you haven't addressed my point about the Robocop franchise having alternate timelines as well.

Point is, we're dealing with fictional universes. Anything can happen.. Within reason of course.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Mar 02, 2015, 04:56:52 PMAlso, even if you did address my point regarding Halloween (which I would argue a serial killer in a mask is more realistic than an Alien that was developed by black slime and has a parasitic nature) you haven't addressed my point about the Robocop franchise having alternate timelines as well.

The Alien is based on very real insect behaviour. Cyborgs aren't.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 02, 2015, 04:59:25 PM
The Alien is based on very real insect behaviour. Cyborgs aren't.

Sure the Alien is based on parasitic nature and even some insect behavior.. Very realistic.

But cyborgs are very much well are on their way to becoming a reality. In fact, you could even argue that cyborgs are more or less already here given that some people have been infused with technology. Prosthetics are becoming more and more intricate and advanced. There was a guy in France who had a built in ocular enhancement that was discriminated at a McDonald's.

http://io9.com/5926587/what-may-be-the-worlds-first-cybernetic-hate-crime-unfolds-in-french-mcdonalds

So while the Alien is based on parasitic and insect behavior, and the inspiration for that is very much a reality. Cyborgs are already or very much becoming a reality in of itself as well. Shit, look up the 2045 Initiative.

Point is... I think we need to stop throwing around "Grounded in Reality" because again.. fictional universes.

NetworkATTH

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 02, 2015, 04:56:20 PM
Quote from: NetworkATTH on Mar 02, 2015, 04:53:18 PMI'm not saying it isn't cheap, it could be still cheap but made less cheap, if they allow them to be hypersleep dreams, given the series focus on dreaming.

You can try and justify it any way you like, writing it off as dreams - even if it fits with the themes of the universe - is incredibly immature. It's the kind of story-telling a ten year-old would use. People keep trying to justify it, but there just isn't any way to make the concept anything other than a cheap, childish get-out clause.

I'm not really justifying it, I'm in total agreement with you. Well, I'd take it a bit more in stride, and I see a reason why they would try it, but it is, not a good idea.

I'd rather them just have the two as separate continuities. We really don't have much to go on as of yet, so implying they're going to try and pull this off is just theory from what fans joked about for some time now.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Mar 02, 2015, 05:06:26 PMPoint is... I think we need to stop throwing around "Grounded in Reality" because again.. fictional universes.

But... you were the one who first used it lol!

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Mar 02, 2015, 04:41:59 PMThere are other franchises out there which happen to have alternate timelines without having to use a plot device as time travel. Some of these franchises are more grounded in reality than others. I'm the only one on this forum who has constantly pointed this out, numerous times and it has fallen on deaf ears. One of these franchises which uses alternate timelines/universes happens to be the Halloween franchise-- and it's definitely grounded in reality. We have the IV through VI timeline, and the H20 timeline. These timelines both branch off from Halloween II, but follow their own continuity paths.

Also, as far as RoboCop's concerned, remember it's a satire. The films, the first two in particular, are intentionally over-the-top and not supposed to be taken seriously. That is not the case with the Alien films.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 02, 2015, 05:34:23 PM
But... you were the one who first used it lol!

Looking at this particular thread, so I am! Ha ha ha ha.. But I'm speaking in broader spectrum of the fandom. I've seen some fans throw that term out there every now and then. Sometimes they word it differently.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 02, 2015, 05:34:23 PM
Also, as far as RoboCop's concerned, remember it's a satire. The films, the first two in particular, are intentionally over-the-top and not supposed to be taken seriously. That is not the case with the Alien films.

Robocop is a satire in the sense that it is poking fun of corporate America, gentrification, capitalism and consumerism. One of the reasons why the first two were great (assuming you like Robocop 2, I know I did). As for the over-the-top elements, well I would assume that applies mostly for the violence and of course the presentation of the in-universe media and attitude of corporate America.

But why are we talking about Robocop when we're supposed to be talking about Alien? I'll say why... Because I am a strong believer and advocate of having multiple continuities. I don't want Alien 3 to be retconned as nothing more than a dream, I wouldn't want Blomkamp pulling a Bobby Ewing or Roseanne Connor on us. I feel that would be a cheap and insulting cop out. I am probably.. the only person who has expressed that there should be alternate timelines/universes. The reason why I brought up other franchises was to solely point out that alternatives can be brought without plot devices such as time travel or dimensional hopping. Leave time travel to Terminator, and leave dimensional hopping to Marvel, DC and TMNT.

Even if you don't want to explain why we still have Alien 3 and Resurrection, and this new movie doesn't undo them-- it wouldn't be unreasonable to simply explain it as just an alternative path. Forks in the road. I've seen some fans express some apprehensiveness (I want to say distaste but that's too strong a word) for such a thing but I say that gives us fans more power to pick and choose, and no one would say boo about it.

Assuming... that this movie is set directly after Aliens, and ignores Alien 3.. Well, that's all up to Blomkamp. For all we know it could be a stand-alone. Of course I had mentioned that there is a span of twelve days for the Sulaco to get to Fury-161. In a span of twelve days, could anything happen? Possibly.

But if... IF... the movie ignores Alien 3.. but Blomkamp's Word of God says it doesn't undo it.. What other explanation is there?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed