Alien movie comic book adaptations.... anyone remember them?

Started by StayFrosty, Feb 25, 2015, 11:50:14 PM

Author
Alien movie comic book adaptations.... anyone remember them? (Read 7,803 times)

Everlasting Undead

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 08, 2015, 11:39:05 AM
Aside from The Illustrated Story I've yet to see a film adaptation that actually looks good. They all seem to have a very lazy visual style.

Well, the studios/ licence owners aren't going to sink a load of cash to make a tie-in that looks better than the movie - otherwise people would shell out money for the comics instead of going to the cinema.

Still, it's always nice to find a nice, high-quality adaption. I've got a few in my collection; Batman Returns, ID4, a couple of others... Alien is by far the best.

I've got the photo novelisation, too... always good to have a flick through that every now and then to get a few inspirational shots or reference pieces.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 08, 2015, 11:39:05 AMAside from The Illustrated Story I've yet to see a film adaptation that actually looks good. They all seem to have a very lazy visual style.

I thought Predators was pretty nice. Otherwise I'd agree.

Scorpio

I did own the Alien Resurrection comic at one point.  I still remember the cover:

I actually like the artwork too:

Anyone have a link to the full comic?

The Comic Collector J

I remember reading Newts Tale issue one and enjoying it as it kind of played out like a prequel to Aliens, the second issue was basically the movie Aliens from Newts view which we already saw most of on screen anyway, so I wasn't a fan of that. Alien 3 changed the intro up from the movie, so that was neat at least. The Resurrection comic adaption felt like a goofy 90's comic book, but then again the movie basically was a comic book.

SM

Resurrection was decent in that it's style suited the film.  Newt's Tale didn't know what it wanted to be.  Alien3 was mediocre at best.

SiL

Alien was great.

Perfect-Organism

Alien 3 was awesome.  To each his own...

SM

The art was very average.  Full of silly extreme poses and they took the whole thing about identical faceless prisoners very literally.

Elmazalman

ALIEN turned out great as a comic book.Hardly surprising since the film has such strong visuals-perfect for translating into a comic book.

Corporal Hicks

I don't think I've seen an adaptation I enjoyed as much as I did Alien. Really great book. I'd recommend it to anyone interested in Alien.

Whiskeybrewer

For Newts Tale, i actually thought the artwork worked really well, especially as it plays out as Newts Dream, so its gonna have the style i think.
and I enjoyed the Alien 3 one, especially as it follows the Assembly Cut with some extra differences and the covers i thought were brilliant.

HuDaFuK

Newt's Tale was actually the only film adaptation I didn't like. I hated that it couldn't seem to decide whether it was for kids or adults - despite the frequent graphic violence, it still somehow felt really childish.

As no one's mentioned it yet, I'm gonna throw some love at the Predators comic. I liked the art and the fact it was told from Isabelle's perspective gave it a neat twist.

Perfect-Organism

What I mostly dislike, is that all these volumes are largely excluded from any compilations.  That is a huge plus for Alien, in that it is a beautifully self-contained piece of art, whereas all the other stories can only be enjoyed through separate issues.  It's frustrating...

SM

QuoteI hated that it couldn't seem to decide whether it was for kids or adults - despite the frequent graphic violence, it still somehow felt really childish.

In what way could it be for kids?

Kurai

Does anyone know why there was never a straight up comic adaption of Prometheus? I think a lot of the seemingly silly aspects of the film would actually work a lot better in the format.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed