Who Should do the Original Score for Alien V?

Started by GQSioux, Feb 25, 2015, 08:46:27 AM

Would you rather have a previous composer return? Or someone new?

I would like James Horner to return
4 (26.7%)
I would like Elliot Goldenthal to return
2 (13.3%)
I would like John Frizzell to return
0 (0%)
None of the above. They should keep the tradition of bringing someone new.
9 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author
Who Should do the Original Score for Alien V? (Read 5,160 times)

GQSioux

GQSioux

As much as I would like Elliot or James back, I'm sort of curious to see what Michael Giacchino would do. He'd be my pick. Who else would be good?

Gash

Maybe give one of the old masters a chance, John Williams has sort of been pigeonholed with the grand, sweeping (and occasionally schmaltzy) scores in the last 20 years but he did write some great horror pieces.. Jaws of course but also The Fury etc, and he'd give it a more thematic approach like Goldsmith did and had a similar success with 60s sci fi TV series. James Newton Howard has some very decent material in his cv, often better than the films deserved. Goldenthal maybe deserves another look in too. I'd hesitate to say Howard Shore as I'm not a huge fan of his recent material, but his score for Cronenberg's remake of The Fly was good. As was Christopher Young's Fly 2 score (terrible film great music).

Just like to avoid the likes of John Powel (Jason Bourne), Zimmer on autopilot (Man of Steel) or the currently popular bunch who hammer out very generic scores (Desplat, Badelt etc).

Russ

Zimmer.
John Murphy (Sunshine)
Ravell
DeSplatt

Then I thought - Clint Mansell as I pressed "post" and totally sold myself on that.

LastSurvivor92

You forgot Marc Streitenfeld who composed the Prometheus Soundtrack. I thought he was the right choice for the first Prometheus but I hope we get a different composer in the sequel to prometheus

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

The Prometheus soundtrack was horrible. It was just clanging and banging noises interspersed with Star Trek™.

T Dog

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Feb 25, 2015, 04:02:19 PM
The Prometheus soundtrack was horrible. It was just clanging and banging noises interspersed with Star Trek™.

Too f**king true. God that main melody was so horribly inappropriate. OH RIDLEY HOW THOU MOVIES DO STINK NOW!!!!!!

I wouldn't mind giving ol Hans a shot at the new Alien. He's a good mimicker but also has some good ideas of his own. He writes great melodies - but the issue there is that this probably shouldn't have a melodic score!

Local Trouble

Tangerine Dream

Nightmare Asylum

Die Antwoord

Local Trouble

I'd take David Julyan since Christopher Nolan seems to have abandoned him.

GQSioux

Quote from: Chronicle on Feb 25, 2015, 03:42:09 PM
You forgot Marc Streitenfeld who composed the Prometheus Soundtrack. I thought he was the right choice for the first Prometheus but I hope we get a different composer in the sequel to prometheus
I didn't include Marc because I was sticking with the 4 core Alien movies. Besides, the Prometheus score was a major letdown anyway.

szkoki

Just use Alien 3's and Resurrection's ost to make that spit even bigger on the franchise :D

OpenMaw

Alan Howarth, Clint Mansell, or John Debney.

Gash

Quote from: GQSioux on Feb 25, 2015, 07:03:04 PM
Quote from: Chronicle on Feb 25, 2015, 03:42:09 PM
I didn't include Marc because I was sticking with the 4 core Alien movies. Besides, the Prometheus score was a major letdown anyway.

I enjoy the Prometheus score, has a sense of majesty and drama to it. Tracks like Space Jockey, Dazed, Debris, Coliision, all work very effectively, as does the Life motif. Miles better than most of the generic stuff that's churned out for action films.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed