Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film

Started by Gazz, Feb 19, 2015, 12:27:30 AM

Author
Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film (Read 293,892 times)

Scorpio

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Dec 02, 2017, 04:52:44 PM
Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 02, 2017, 03:07:44 AM
He should have at least consulted with Scott before pitching to the studio.

Why? Scott doesn't own the Alien franchise.

It's professional courtesy.  Also, wouldn't it be a good idea to ask Ridley his plans for future films before pitching your own? 

QuoteAnd after the studio greenlit his pitch he did consult with Scott to avoid any conflicts with Prometheus 2's story.

Too little, too late, unfortunately.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: AD on Dec 02, 2017, 11:44:02 PM
Quote from: Alionic on Dec 02, 2017, 09:59:37 PM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Dec 02, 2017, 09:33:19 PM
He's long since moved on.

He knows studio execs monitor his social media accounts; his instagram posts initially landed him the job offer from FOX. He's obviously still interested in making the movie if he's still tweeting images and ideas (garnering interest) from his script. He has not moved on—which is fine, because I'd be interested in his film after Scott is done with the Covenant sequel.

And I'm willing to bet he's bitter towards Scott, but he wisely chooses not to go public with it.

This is the first time he's mentioned Alien publicly since an interview he did back in June or July (not sure which month). If he's talked about anything film related that he's working since then that isn't related to Oats, it's either The Gone World adaptation that he's working on or a District 9 followup. He's even said numerous times in interviews that he's accepted Alien's fate.

Precisely. The space elevator tweet was in response to his friend, Tom Sweterlitsch's comment on how everyone is suddenly all doing space elevators.
Even during his recent Reddit AMA he only bothered to answer one Alien related question and that was to shoot down any possibility of the film ever happening.

He knows studio execs monitor his social media accounts; his instagram posts initially landed him the job offer from FOX.

No it didn't. He formally pitched his film to Fox long before he posted the images in Instagram.

Alionic

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Dec 03, 2017, 05:15:43 PM
He knows studio execs monitor his social media accounts; his instagram posts initially landed him the job offer from FOX.

No it didn't. He formally pitched his film to Fox long before he posted the images in Instagram.

This is false but whatever

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 02, 2017, 11:52:48 PMIt's professional courtesy.  Also, wouldn't it be a good idea to ask Ridley his plans for future films before pitching your own?

Why? Ridley had no Alien film in development at the time.

Scorpio

It had been in development since 2012 from what I can gather.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 04, 2017, 09:04:23 AM
It had been in development since 2012 from what I can gather.

You mean, Prometheus 2 was in development? It didn't shift gears to become Alien: Paradise Lost until after all the buzz around Blomkamp's Alien 5 started.

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Dec 03, 2017, 05:15:43 PM

When did he mention that? IIRC he said no-one at Fox knew about his ideas when he posted those concepts initially. I do think it was all the positive buzz around those concepts that made Fox sit up, though.

But yeah, Blomkamp has hardly been constantly talking about Alien 5. He barely talks about it these days.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 04, 2017, 09:30:04 AM
When did he mention that? IIRC he said no-one at Fox knew about his ideas when he posted those concepts initially. I do think it was all the positive buzz around those concepts that made Fox sit up, though.

He said that Fox wasn't aware that he had written a treatment and commissioned concept art until he pitched it directly to them late in 2014 while Chappie was still in postproduction.

It appears he got neither a yeah nor a nay from Fox and proceeded to post the images on his Instagram account in the beginning of January 2015 thinking that he's not going to do it anymore. After someone asked him why Fox wasn't interested he replied with "Fox never said no".

The images however got a lot of publicity on mainstream media and general news sites. It appears that the buzz it generated was responsible for forcing Fox's hand and the film was officially greenlit by 19 February 2015.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 09, 2017, 05:02:54 PM
"So I went back to Vancouver and while I was editing Chappie I started to think about what I would do with Sigourney as basically a sequel to James Cameron's film. I spent about a year working on it with only Sigourney knowing and I hired one really awesome concept artist. We put together essentially a script and all the artwork and that's what I went to 20th Century Fox with." - Neill Blomkamp

Scorpio

You mean, Prometheus 2 was in development? It didn't shift gears to become Alien: Paradise Lost until after all the buzz around Blomkamp's Alien 5 started.

Are you implying that Blomkamp's Alien 5 is the reason they put the alien in Covenant?

No doubt that was popular, but people were complaining about the alien not being in Prometheus since 2011.

And it's still Prometheus 2, well half of it is, the other half is Alien.

PierreVW

Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 04, 2017, 08:40:10 PM

Are you implying that Blomkamp's Alien 5 is the reason they put the alien in Covenant?

No doubt that was popular, but people were complaining about the alien not being in Prometheus since 2011.

And it's still Prometheus 2, well half of it is, the other half is Alien.

I remembered FOX loved some of his ideas. FOX doesn't have faith in Neill Blomkamp but they still loved some of his sketches.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 04, 2017, 08:40:10 PM

I am. I honestly believe the buzz was responsible for that when Fox realized there was still an appetite for Aliens. I'm sure there's likely a little more to it from all the studio politicking going off but I have heard the decision to include the Alien in Covenant came down from above.   

QuoteNo doubt that was popular, but people were complaining about the alien not being in Prometheus since 2011.

I've been meaning to go back and read through the Prometheus response because I really don't remember that being a major issue with Prometheus.

QuoteAnd it's still Prometheus 2, well half of it is, the other half is Alien.

And it's when it turned into a half-arsed Alien film that it fell apart for me.

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Dec 04, 2017, 05:01:31 PM
He said that Fox wasn't aware that he had written a treatment and commissioned concept art until he pitched it directly to them late in 2014 while Chappie was still in postproduction.

It appears he got neither a yeah nor a nay from Fox and proceeded to post the images on his Instagram account in the beginning of January 2015 thinking that he's not going to do it anymore. After someone asked him why Fox wasn't interested he replied with "Fox never said no".

The images however got a lot of publicity on mainstream media and general news sites. It appears that the buzz it generated was responsible for forcing Fox's hand and the film was officially greenlit by 19 February 2015.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 09, 2017, 05:02:54 PM
"So I went back to Vancouver and while I was editing Chappie I started to think about what I would do with Sigourney as basically a sequel to James Cameron's film. I spent about a year working on it with only Sigourney knowing and I hired one really awesome concept artist. We put together essentially a script and all the artwork and that's what I went to 20th Century Fox with." - Neill Blomkamp

Hmmmm. He'd said when those concepts initially came out that Fox wasn't aware of them.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jan 02, 2015, 06:00:56 AM
Not sure how I feel about the Ripley face mask thing, but I guess it could be something that WY would up to if they finally got their hands on the Alien. And it does feel very Giger, more than anything in Prometheus did. There is some really interesting stuff in there. I especially love the pic of the Derelict inside the facility.

So I wonder if this would have been an alternate Alien 3, or if Ripley and Hicks were just stand ins to base the new concepts off of? I'm leaning towards the latter, but you never know.

It looks like everything is set inside of some interior artificial biological habitat. Almost gives me a bit of a Halo vibe in that regard.

I know this is unlikely to ever happen, but I would love if some more images and details were released. I am beyond curious.

There was nearly a year or so of post for Chappie. They finished filming it in Feb of 14, released in Feb/March 15. They worked on the pitch/script for nearly a year so I imagine that pitch meeting was probably late 14 too. I think saying he'd pitched to them long before he released the concept art might not be quite so accurate. There's definitely some timeline we're missing here.

Russ

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 05, 2017, 09:01:56 AM

I am. I honestly believe the buzz was responsible for that when Fox realized there was still an appetite for Aliens. I'm sure there's a likely a little more to it from all the studio politicking going off but I have heard the decision to include the Alien in Covenant came down from above.   

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 05, 2017, 09:01:56 AM
And it's when it turned into a half-arsed Alien film that it fell apart for me.

Agree on both counts. Scott was always saying it would have the "DNA" of Alien but would be different and I am I remembering right he said before all this new stuff he though that the Alien was all over now and we needed to go in new directions.

The David Creates Alien idea must have sounded brilliant around the table. In the same way as someone realising that Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent's mum had the same name - on paper, that's great.

My guess is that Ridley wanted to do his "Chariots of the Gods" and the studio crammed a xeno storyline up his arse.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 05, 2017, 09:13:26 AM
Hmmmm. He'd said when those concepts initially came out that Fox wasn't aware of them.

I'm pretty sure he meant that Fox wasn't aware that he'd spent almost a year working on a new Alien film. Not that they weren't aware of the images until he released them online. He mentioned pitching the treatment and pitch-art directly to Fox more than once in the past. Basically exactly the same strategy he used to get Elysium financed and greenlit.

QuoteThere was nearly a year or so of post for Chappie. They finished filming it in Feb of 14, released in Feb/March 15. They worked on the pitch/script for nearly a year so I imagine that pitch meeting was probably late 14 too. I think saying he'd pitched to them long before he released the concept art might not be quite so accurate. There's definitely some timeline we're missing here.

Yeah, I agree. The meeting with Fox was probably a month or so before he decided to release the images online on 1 January 2015. My guess is that Fox was waiting to see how Chappie fared both critically and financially before giving him an answer. Blomkamp might have tried to force a quick decision by making some of the images public and thereby generating massive media hype (which worked), though he denies that was his intention.

Perfect-Organism

That illustration of Newt with the Carrie Henn look can be found here...

https://geektyrant.com/news/new-alien-5-concept-art-shows-the-return-of-newt

Predalien39

Neill is no longer directing Greenland!!!!
Meaning even if he does robocop next, the chance he might do alien 5 is still closer than what it would have been.  Here's hoping they fast track alien 5 next though

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed