David Woodruff Talks Alien 5

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 13, 2015, 10:33:17 PM

Author
David Woodruff Talks Alien 5 (Read 43,463 times)

PsyKore

PsyKore

All ADI has to do is go to the wreckers and find some car parts to stick on their aliens. Presto, biomechanical aliens and budget effective.

Corporal Hicks

Tom Woodruff changed his Facebook profile picture.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: PsyKore on Feb 17, 2015, 01:27:20 PM
All ADI has to do is go to the wreckers and find some car parts to stick on their aliens. Presto, biomechanical aliens and budget effective.

I know you were just being witty, but I do think that's a little belittling to Giger's work on the original Alien.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 20, 2015, 09:03:55 AM

Tom Woodruff changed his Facebook profile picture.

Oh yeah. I like it.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I love these images. Good on Tom for having a bit of fun with it. He looks great in them too. I especially love the one that totally apes the concept picture Blomkamp released, where he's resting on his knees.

Kel G 426

Kel G 426

Biehn had better be careful or Tom will steal his role.

Gash

Gash

Well, he's desperate for the job.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Could you be any more bitter or resentful? Holy crap, man.  :laugh:

Gash

Gash

You know what? I thought the work they did on The Thing prequel was amazing, and it was sad that it was replaced by inferior CGI, but let's face it, jumping in to recreate Hicks smacks a little of desperation. If they get the gig, I hope they do a good job of getting the Giger look back because they certainly have the skill.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: Gash on Feb 20, 2015, 11:27:18 PM
because they certainly have the skill.
No they don't.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: whiterabbit on Feb 20, 2015, 11:29:09 PMNo they don't.

Alien 3 quite blatantly says they do.

And the faults with the later movies is more the actual designs rather than the execution, and we've no idea to what extent they had those dictated to them.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 20, 2015, 11:31:03 PM
Quote from: whiterabbit on Feb 20, 2015, 11:29:09 PMNo they don't.

Alien 3 quite blatantly says they do.

And the faults with the later movies is more the actual designs rather than the execution, and we've no idea to what extent they had those dictated to them.
:P

Sorry, I forgot the :P.

Gash

Gash

I would agree that in interviews ADI appeared to show scant regard for Giger's skill at creating his own design. Stating that they could do it better than he himself had. But hopefully they have to follow a director's instuctions, and if Blomkamp wanted something that looked as great as Giger's original then they would do it.

Personally I don't doubt their abilities because I thought the half-destroyed Bishop in Alien3 was amazing, as was their practical stuff for The Thing. But if they are directed badly or left to their own interpretations, especially with something as beautifully designed as Giger's alien, then they are often deserving of the flack they might get, though sharing blame with the director.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: Gash on Feb 20, 2015, 11:27:18 PM
You know what? I thought the work they did on The Thing prequel was amazing, and it was sad that it was replaced by inferior CGI, but let's face it, jumping in to recreate Hicks smacks a little of desperation. If they get the gig, I hope they do a good job of getting the Giger look back because they certainly have the skill.

I suppose it depends on the intention behind these images. If it was done simply because they thought the concept art was cool, then Hell, I don't see anything desperate about it at all.

Also I agree wholeheartedly with regards to The Thing prequel. Film had problems no matter what, but it's a damn shame all that hard work was literally covered up.

Kel G 426

Kel G 426

I hope they'll release a cut of that film with the practical effects reinstated.

PsyKore

PsyKore

Quote from: OpenMaw on Feb 20, 2015, 09:22:44 AM
Quote from: PsyKore on Feb 17, 2015, 01:27:20 PM

I know you were just being witty, but I do think that's a little belittling to Giger's work on the original Alien.

Really? I thought I was poking fun at ADI.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed