Alien: Isolation Safe Haven DLC Out January 13

Started by ikarop, Jan 12, 2015, 10:17:06 PM

Author
Alien: Isolation Safe Haven DLC Out January 13 (Read 13,454 times)

gabgrave

In steam, you need to right click the game and open the view downloadable content option. It will show the add on as not installed, with the check box ticked. Untick and retick the check box to get it to start the download.

Played it for the first four missions before I got CHOMPed... For each mission, you pretty much select between two large maps which are on either side of the safe room, with different rewards per mission and per map. There is a safe point that unlocks at 2500points, but costs you that 2500points if you reload it after dying, reducing your overall score. The mission objectives range from a basic starting of a generator with the Alien appearing only after you start it, to finding several items. As you go along the missions, the Alien gets more aggressive, as per the behavior changes in difficulty levels. Overall its pretty fun to play, since you are more or less exploring the whole map and trying to find different items in each area while avoiding the Alien and Joes, while trying to get back to the safe zone each time you complete an objective. Think Newt and getting supplies.

Vertigo

Misread that as "avoiding the alien and Jones", was wondering why you didn't just give him strokies.

Crazy Rich

I doubt it'll last forever seeing as it's only the first day it's been out but I'm happy to announce that I've not only completed Safe Haven (Salvage), but on the Xbox One leaderboard I (so far) have both the #1 best time (00:47:56:39) and the #1 best score (51930).  ;D

stemot

Some gameplay for those who haven't got/seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9C2BIiMutk

robbritton

robbritton

This is the first of the Survivor packs I'm actually enjoying, as the quiet moments and the variety of enemies are making it a much more interesting experience. The dearth of story remains a shame, but there we are. Did manage to forget I was playing survivor and switched off the xbox after a save like an absolute plum, so my one bit of advice is don't do that. Back to the start it is...

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: stemot on Jan 13, 2015, 11:21:35 PM
Some gameplay for those who haven't got/seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9C2BIiMutk

Anyone else have issues with the playback? It's stuttering for me. Dunno if it's my connection or not.

Vrastal

Im really not liing the direction the dlc is going no real story development stuff or anything

newbeing

Played and finished the 10 missions. First go I got to say it's pretty good. Granted the total lack of any sort of plot is still very disappointing, but I much preferred this DLC over the previous Survival modes/maps. It felt like the main campaign condensed into 10 very short missions. Glad that they threw in the humans with the other threats finally.

The environments also felt a little less recycled this time around, but I do hope that we get more interesting environments like
Spoiler
the hive and derelict
[close]
I understand wanting to kind of keep within the boundaries of the main story, but it without a plot for each survival pack it seems pointless to hold it to such a constraint.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: newbeing on Jan 15, 2015, 02:15:47 AM
The environments also felt a little less recycled this time around, but I do hope that we get more interesting environments like
Spoiler
the hive and derelict
[close]
I understand wanting to kind of keep within the boundaries of the main story, but it without a plot for each survival pack it seems pointless to hold it to such a constraint.

I completely agree. I really hope to see them included in some capacity. Even with the tenuous story links they could still manage a
Spoiler
hive based
[close]
level. I would like to see them be slightly more adventurous with the environments.

predxeno

Yeah, I actually like this survivor pack add-on; players get to choose which challenges they want to partake so I no longer have to feel like a loser for not completing optional challenges anymore (I have no idea how to find them and the game is too terrifying for me to want to spend a lot of time on it).

BCLK

BCLK

I want fps game with aliens

Jman

Jman

It would be interesting to see a dlc with a similar premise, like for instance the player would start out cocooned in an alien hive, already infected with an alien embryo. They manage to break free, and have to make their way to an automatic surgical unit like the one shown in Prometheus to try to get the embryo removed. Maybe have an hour or two time limit also. If they do not make it in time, the alien chestburster is born and they die, naturally. 
Of course, in Aliens:CM, it is explained that removing the embryo will automatically kill the host, so would have to find a way around that issue.
It would be an interesting twist for the player to have the Alien actually defending him/her from human and cyborg hostiles, because the adult xeno(s) sense that the player is carrying an alien unborn. Maybe carrying a queen.

Jman

Jman

**Sort of like the way the runner xeno behaved in Alien 3, because it refused to kill the infected Ripley and even attempted to protect her from potential harm.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Jman on Jan 19, 2015, 10:23:47 AM
Of course, in Aliens:CM, it is explained that removing the embryo will automatically kill the host, so would have to find a way around that issue.

It can just ignore that. That's the only time that is ever mentioned and flies directly in the face of Resurrection.

It would be an interesting twist for the player to have the Alien actually defending him/her from human and cyborg hostiles, because the adult xeno(s) sense that the player is carrying an alien unborn. Maybe carrying a queen.

Quote from: Jman on Jan 19, 2015, 10:26:43 AM
**Sort of like the way the runner xeno behaved in Alien 3, because it refused to kill the infected Ripley and even attempted to protect her from potential harm.

I kind of like this idea. In Isolation after
Spoiler
you get cocooned and break out, I had expected you to be infected and the Alien not to attack you.
[close]

It'd certainly be an interesting scenario. I'd expect it to try and grab you and take you back to the hive though, so you still have to try and avoid it.

I finally got to sit down with this for a little bit on Friday night. I love the idea of the marathon style objectives. I only managed to do 2 because the game was being brutal to me. The Alien just would not leave me alone.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed