User Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Neill Blomkamp's (cancelled?) Alien 5 project  (Read 94738 times)

Nightmare Asylum
Feb 13, 2015, 08:35:13 PM
Reply #540 on: Feb 13, 2015, 08:35:13 PM
It wasn't working for me before, worked briefly when I posted it, and now it's not working again. :-\ If/when it does I'll be sure to copy/paste.

The Eighth Passenger
Feb 13, 2015, 08:39:39 PM
Reply #541 on: Feb 13, 2015, 08:39:39 PM
I have a strange suspicion that The Chappie directed by NB may crash and floppat the B.O. Do we think NB would be allowed to get his hands anywhere near the A franchise if this does in fact happen?

He's taking a bit of a risk because Chappie is pretty "out there". But early screenings have been positive, rating it somewhere between D9 and Elysium. Of course a good film doesn't automatically guarantee a good box office, take Dredd and Blade Runner for example.

Even if it does flop at the box office, D9 and Elysium were still considered successful enterprises. It's not like his career will be over or anything.

Blomkamp was actually a pretty sneaky little prawn posting all that Alien 5 concept art. It's generating a lot of interest on the interwebz and Chappie is piggybacking on all that publicity.

Russ
Feb 13, 2015, 08:50:49 PM
Reply #542 on: Feb 13, 2015, 08:50:49 PM
Hey Rakai - you can get it cached, I think their site is down, but here you go (there are some image descriptors and tags in the cut and paste below). I also posted another of their articles ("How Alien 5 could repair the damage of Alien3") under it for completeness  but its not "news" its just fan theory and wishing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

the game is canon after all.

Is it? I'm not calling you a liar, but from what I've seen of the evidence no one affiliated with fox has said so.  Just the people at gear box trying to give their game brownie points.

When the game came out, I believe Fox said themselves that the game was canon, I remember reading that here on the forum at the time.

Definitely, I remember finding the launch link for a thread a while back - one of the execs definitely said it was canon, a sequel to Aliens.

I have a strange suspicion that The Chappie directed by NB may crash and floppat the B.O. Do we think NB would be allowed to get his hands anywhere near the A franchise if this does in fact happen?

Yeah, I mentioned this a few pages back: that really would throw a spanner in the works (regardless if you're Team RetCon or Team 8 - this project has to be something we'd all like to see in some form?) but a lot rests on Chappie. If it's a fail, Blomkamp's stock will fall (shit, what a business), but if it doesn't then if he wants this project, you can take that to the bank. The Blood Bank (cue "Hard to Kill" music.").

In the article I posted he says that "it's not, Fox, it's me" - (re getting the project off the ground) which to me smacks of backtracking now it's gathering a lot of traction. And fair play to the man, he doesn't want to say "that bloke at Fox is a twat" if he wants to work with them on this (and other things of course).

But you raise the most salient point here: If Chappie bombs, this entire project will be nuked from orbit. But if Chappie is a hit - we'll be in the pipe, 5 by 5.

marrerom
Feb 13, 2015, 09:00:02 PM
Reply #543 on: Feb 13, 2015, 09:00:02 PM

the game is canon after all.

Is it? I'm not calling you a liar, but from what I've seen of the evidence no one affiliated with fox has said so.  Just the people at gear box trying to give their game brownie points.

When the game came out, I believe Fox said themselves that the game was canon, I remember reading that here on the forum at the time.

The only thing I've seen that people have referred to as evidence is this link:

[url]http://www.warpzoned.com/2012/04/aliens-colonial-marines-is-officially-part-of-movie-canon-wii-u-version-is-not-a-port/]http://www.warpzoned.com/2012/04/aliens-colonial-marines-is-officially-part-of-movie-canon-wii-u-version-is-not-a-port/] [url]http://www.warpzoned.com/2012/04/aliens-colonial-marines-is-officially-part-of-movie-canon-wii-u-version-is-not-a-port/[/url]

Chris Faylor is one who the article is citing as its source. He the Community Manager for Gearbox and not in anyway affiliated with fox.  The guy doesn't even know if Prometheus is canon or not. If there is another source that I've missed please let me know but this just look like a developer trying give his company's game brownie points with the fans.

« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2015, 09:03:47 PM by marrerom »

The Eighth Passenger
Feb 13, 2015, 09:06:01 PM
Reply #544 on: Feb 13, 2015, 09:06:01 PM
I can't recall Fox ever coming forward and saying ACM is canon.

However, there is this little gem from ACM's writer:

Quote from: Mikey Neumann
“I did get to submit some canonical stuff about the life cycle of the Alien. I added to that in what I thought was a really clever way, and it’s cool. I totally submitted shit that is now canonical Alien life-cycle stuff. I can talk at Comic-Con and be, ‘Ha ha, I’m an expert! Me and like, two people!’ No, it’s f**king awesome.”
~ Mikey Neumann, lead writer, destructoid.com, 2012

« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2015, 09:17:53 PM by The Eighth Passenger »

hfeldhaus
Feb 13, 2015, 09:37:24 PM
Reply #546 on: Feb 13, 2015, 09:37:24 PM
Movie canon is the only canon.

Nazrel
Feb 13, 2015, 10:03:26 PM
Reply #547 on: Feb 13, 2015, 10:03:26 PM
Fox told gearbox it would be canon, and i dont remember the article but fox said so in an interview or something its been too long to recall though.

Nightmares and clones are pretty piss poor excuses to bring back hicks. I could see hicks being an android set in time past A:R, as a ploy by a company to get ripley to od some weird alien telepath/connection thing to find more. that sounds ridicoulous and fanficy like, time travel, cloning or nightmares though.

and Put of shadows, sea of sorrows and river of pain are considered canon now too arent they?  along with the Fire and stone series. Not that it added much to the overall story except goo makes things come to bio-mechanical life.

Chappie doesnt look bad, but.. it looks... like it doesnt know if its a kid movie about a robot that goes on an adventure to save itself and friends or and adult action sccifi that does the same thing. Im not currently planning on seeing it in theatres.

Nightgaunt
Feb 14, 2015, 12:11:07 AM
Reply #548 on: Feb 14, 2015, 12:11:07 AM
If for some reason Hicks and Ellen Ripley were to return in Alien 5, I'm proposing that Alien 3 is not Ripley's bad dream, but a bad memory. Just ask David Fincher. But seriously, human memory kind of sucks. Just this week, NBC's Brian Williams remembered that he wasn't actually in a helicopter as it went down in Iraq. He said he made a 'mistake' remembering the events.

Plus, isn't it true that much of what we remember is largely reconstructed? ( Like fragmented files in a hard drive, maybe?)  Could trauma or manipulation affect that process?   

So what if the events of Alien 3 are a character's flawed/ misremembered/ manipulated recollection of what really happened on Fury 161?  Anyone buy this as way to get Ellen Ripley and Hicks back onscreen without writing off A3 or A4 as a nightmare?  Whatever happens I 'd still love to see an Alien 5.

A_Sexual_Tyrannosaurus
Feb 14, 2015, 12:15:46 AM
Reply #549 on: Feb 14, 2015, 12:15:46 AM
They're all too old. Just reboot the franchise. Alien doesn't need Ripley. It just needs well written, fully developed characters like Ripley

Nazrel
Feb 14, 2015, 12:26:33 AM
Reply #550 on: Feb 14, 2015, 12:26:33 AM
why reboot it, leave the orignal and just make new story arc

Nazrel
Feb 14, 2015, 01:03:39 AM
Reply #552 on: Feb 14, 2015, 01:03:39 AM
They're all too old. Just reboot the franchise. Alien doesn't need Ripley. It just needs well written, fully developed characters like Ripley

Shaw was a great character! ;)I really bought the late 21st century Christian angle! :laugh:

Shes not a bad actor but i didnt care for her character very much and the religious aspect felt extremely forced

T Dog
Feb 14, 2015, 01:56:37 AM
Reply #553 on: Feb 14, 2015, 01:56:37 AM

Shaw was a great character! ;)I really bought the late 21st century Christian angle! :laugh:

Shes not a bad actor but i didnt care for her character very much and the religious aspect felt extremely forced

I was being sarcastic in case you thought otherwise. Shaw was awful. Michael Fassbender was the only actor in that movie who's talent was properly harnessed.

Nazrel
Feb 14, 2015, 04:37:24 AM
Reply #554 on: Feb 14, 2015, 04:37:24 AM
did not knwo it was sarcasm

/s is a great way to indicate sarcasm iincase you didnt know

"she was such a good actor /s"

Facebook Twitter Instagram Steam RSS Feed