The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon

Started by Perfect-Organism, Nov 18, 2014, 10:44:01 PM

Author
The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon (Read 234,032 times)

hawkangel

My copy finally arrived today. As someone that hasn't read any of the old Aliens of Predator EU, I'm looking forward to it.

Corporal Hicks

It'll be interesting to see a fresh opinion. I look forward to it!

Have you played any of the games?

hawkangel

Yeah, on PS3 I own Aliens Vs Predator (it's a steelbook - I collect Aliens, Predator and AVP blu-ray steelbooks) and Alien : Isolation.
I also own Marine Colonial Marines but haven't heard good things about it, so haven't bothered to play it.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 20, 2015, 08:18:45 AM
It'll be interesting to see a fresh opinion. I look forward to it!

Have you played any of the games?

I am the same, this is my very first Predator novel. I personally loved it and love the ideas Lebbon has introduced and the type of world he has built in this far future setting. He has made me respect the humans and the Aliens on a whole new level as well.

I think Lebbon is a very good writer for these sort of stories, I enjoyed Out of the Shadows very much as well, the most in fact due to the story and characters, Sea of Sorrows was my favourite because of the setting (and because of Manning) but now Rage War went further down the time line.

How far are you into it currently?

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 19, 2015, 02:35:32 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 19, 2015, 02:04:27 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 19, 2015, 07:17:06 AMI'm over it now. I'm wrapped up in the plot of the book now.

What exactly is the big issue people have with humans giving a name to the species in the book? Genuine question.

It's not the humans giving them a name. It's humans using the Yautja name from the Steve Perry novels. I dislike the Yautja culture and it also implies that there must of been some communication between the species for them to know what the Predators called themselves. And I dislike that too. I'd rather the hand signs from the comics.

Well, Machiko Noguchi came from the Yautja culture and referred to them as such; it is perfectly believable that she told the humans stuff about the Predator culture.  I don't know if this is by design or some weird coincidence though; once again it is unknown whether these new books will belong to the Alien 3 universe or the Alien 5 universe or both.

I also just got the book and am currently 61 pages in. :)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: predxeno on Oct 21, 2015, 03:37:23 AM
Well, Machiko Noguchi came from the Yautja culture and referred to them as such; it is perfectly believable that she told the humans stuff about the Predator culture.

These books aren't taking Prey or etc into account. Remember it's a part of the new rebooted canon.

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Oct 20, 2015, 05:50:24 PM
How far are you into it currently?

About half way now.
Spoiler
The VoidLarks just landed.
[close]
Struggling to get the time to blast through it. My girlfriend insists she have my attention for some reason. It's hard to read when she's spending every day this week at mine.

The Alien Predator

Oh dear. XD I hope you manage to blast through it soon. I think you might like the way Lebbon portrays them. And your ship man! You gotta get to your ship. You'll love what Lebbon's done with it.

By the way, I just found a nice little synopsis on the Rage War book 2, Alien: Invasion at the last few pages of my book.

It reads as follows:

Spoiler
The Yautja and the human race face a common foe, armed with the deadliest weapons imaginable. Even if they work together, is there any way to stop the Xenomorphs?

April 2016

And don't miss the devastating conclusion:

The Rage War Book 3

ALIEN vs PREDATOR ARMAGEDDON.
[close]

Corporal Hicks

I'm actually sacking off work a little early so I can go read before I pick the lady up. Benefits of being left on your own and your work is under control.

predxeno

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 21, 2015, 07:26:03 AM
Quote from: predxeno on Oct 21, 2015, 03:37:23 AM
Well, Machiko Noguchi came from the Yautja culture and referred to them as such; it is perfectly believable that she told the humans stuff about the Predator culture.

These books aren't taking Prey or etc into account. Remember it's a part of the new rebooted canon.

I still think that's pretty much up in the air right now; when Sea of Sorrows came out, Alien 5 hadn't been announced yet so the author worked off the post-A:R timeline which is why W-Y was brought back from the dead as opposed to never having been bankrupt in the first place.  Other readers have also pointed out that there are connections in these Titan books to Alien 3 as well. :-\

Samhain13

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Oct 21, 2015, 11:41:43 AM

Spoiler
The Yautja and the human race face a common foe, armed with the deadliest weapons imaginable. Even if they work together, is there any way to stop the Xenomorphs?

[close]

Spoiler
Another Human-Predator team up incoming. I can't have a break.
[close]

Lonely Universe

Just picked up my copy. The thumbnail sized Alien: Invasion cover on the back looks much better than the other two.

I started reading River Of Pain two days ago & have 130 pages left before I'll start on this. It's def my least favorite of the trilogy.

TheBATMAN

I found River of Pain to be the weakest overall. The first half is pretty strong but it feels rushed once the colony starts to get overrun. It could have done with being an extra 100 pages longer to flesh out some of the events. It was already the shortest book of the three and take away the copy and paste Ripley chapters and we were not left with much unfortunately.

HuDaFuK

I thought it really missed a trick not elaborating on some of the events hinted at in the film too, like John J. Maruchuk or Newt surviving alone in the vents.

predxeno

Considering that River of Pain is based on Newt's Tale which the author viewed as canon, there wasn't much else he could do.  River of Pain was one of my favorite stories all things considering, I disliked Sea of Sorrows because it felt disjointed and was based on the premise that no one saw the Alien movies.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: predxeno on Oct 21, 2015, 05:28:48 PM
I still think that's pretty much up in the air right now;well. :-\

I disagree. It's not up in the air. At the minute EU included as canon includes only Alien Isolation, Fire and Stone, Rage Wars and the Titan trilogy. How that plays out after Paradise Lost or Alien 3.2, we'll review later but as it stands - this is what it is.

Quote from: predxeno on Oct 22, 2015, 06:00:03 AM
Considering that River of Pain is based on Newt's Tale

It wasn't based on Newt's Tale at all. It just incorporated several elements/straight up adapted a few bits of it.

So I'm about 2/3s of the way through Incursion right now -

Spoiler
I am really digging the Founders/Rage. Really digging them. They're the most interesting thing in the book up to now.
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed