Alien: River of Pain (Book 3) - Reviews

Started by Perfect-Organism, Nov 18, 2014, 10:36:08 PM

Author
Alien: River of Pain (Book 3) - Reviews (Read 41,955 times)

Engineer

Ok in that case, I'll drop the probing of upcoming things ;-) but now I'm very curious and looking forward to it!

That's interesting that the dialog was dropped about the processors from the movie. I wonder why...

Thanks for sharing! So one more question. In the list of people at Hadley's hope, from all 4 sources, It looks like 2 medical doctors/physicians are named: one from ADFs book and one from river of pain. ADF said there were 3. So I can believe that the one named in ADFs book was never around in the story from river of pain. That would leave the 3rd unnamed at this point. Does that hold true? Or did river of pain say there were more physicians than that, or did I miss one or more people in your list that were doctors?

SM

SM

I think Komiskey was the only medical doctor mentioned in RoP.  The others (Hidalgo, Reese, Mori) were all part of the science team.  I'm sure there is space for Ling to be 'off screen' (or 'page' rather), it just would've been nice to tie the book closer to the film and novelization rather than, say, Newt's Tale.  Even then the Doctor in Newt's Tale is a guy with a beard and not Komiskey.

Engineer

Engineer

Ok cool. So they don't reference each other, but at least they don't contradict each other in that way either. As for the beard... well, perhaps the 3rd doctor, or distorted dream again? Lol

Sorry I had another thought I'd like to share...

I skimmed through the rest of the thread, and saw a lot of complaints about a specific inconsistency between river of pain and the movie: apone clearly says "small arms" damage, while in river of pain they're running around with pulse rifles (or apparently plasma rifles). I was bugged by this too...

However, ADF keeps referring to damage to the complex from what looks like pulse rifle fire.
Interesting...

SM

SM

Maybe those rifles count as small arms?  Or the major fighting areas with the marines weren't seen on screen?

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: SM on May 24, 2017, 10:27:14 PM
Maybe those rifles count as small arms?  Or the major fighting areas with the marines weren't seen on screen?

Yea I was starting to think that "small arms" really meant everything from pulse rifle down to hand guns. I'd assume larger arms would have included the smart guns, and RPGs and such; things normal colonists likely wouldn't have... nor would a small marine squad assignment ;-)

Wow! I just finished reading ADFs adaptation of aliens. It was interesting to get some additional or slightly different scenes! Like the alien stinger that got Gorman, and bishop getting a brief attack while crawling through that narrow pipe.

But anyway, looks like the scene in newts tale where they get trapped in the air ducts and Hicks uses a cutting torch to make an exit in the side-wall didn't just come out of thin air... it's in ADFs book too. Must have been a change in the script once filming started...

SM

SM

Baffling why they included it (and other things) in Newt's Tale though.

Engineer

I think the adaptation of aliens is my favorite 'alien' book so far... and I've read almost all of them by now. Lol

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Engineer on May 24, 2017, 10:37:39 PMBut anyway, looks like the scene in newts tale where they get trapped in the air ducts and Hicks uses a cutting torch to make an exit in the side-wall didn't just come out of thin air... it's in ADFs book too. Must have been a change in the script once filming started...

That happens a lot in novelisations. Because they take a while to write the author has to base it on an early version of the script, and they often don't keep up as scenes get changed or cut because they simply don't have time to take all that into account.

Foster's novelisation of The Thing is wildly different from the film in places.

Corporal Hicks

It's what makes them really interesting to read.

Engineer

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 25, 2017, 08:11:43 AM
Quote from: Engineer on May 24, 2017, 10:37:39 PMBut anyway, looks like the scene in newts tale where they get trapped in the air ducts and Hicks uses a cutting torch to make an exit in the side-wall didn't just come out of thin air... it's in ADFs book too. Must have been a change in the script once filming started...

That happens a lot in novelisations. Because they take a while to write the author has to base it on an early version of the script, and they often don't keep up as scenes get changed or cut because they simply don't have time to take all that into account.

How different is "the thing" (book) from "who goes there?"

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Engineer on May 25, 2017, 01:32:16 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 25, 2017, 08:11:43 AM

How different is "the thing" (book) from "who goes there?"

I haven't read all of WGT, but from what I did read, it's a totally different story with many of the same character names.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Engineer on May 25, 2017, 01:32:16 PMHow different is "the thing" (book) from "who goes there?"

I couldn't tell you, I'm afraid, I've never read the original.

Mr. Clemens

There's a pdf of it on Outpost31.com, if anyone's interested. I just haven't read mine because I keep meaning to have it printed in a shop (I like paper), and I never remember to.  :P

Engineer

That PDF might be gone. Outpost31 went down and is about to relaunch all spruced up for the anniversary of the movie. Some content was lost...

Mr. Clemens

Oh no! Well if that's the case, I suppose I could host my copy somewhere.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed