Alien Isolation: PC vs Console Performance

Started by Darkness, Oct 12, 2014, 03:20:40 PM

Author
Alien Isolation: PC vs Console Performance (Read 14,516 times)

Darkness

isolation Alien: Covenant: One Year Later - AvP Galaxy Podcast #68The guys over at Eurogamer have published an interesting article testing the performance of Alien Isolation across all platforms to see how they compare with each other. The article goes very in-depth about various graphical issues and framerates but here’s the main points:

• PC is the best platform for Alien Isolation but only just. The graphics are only slightly better on PC than next-gen consoles but it can reach 1080p 60fps on a wider range of configurations.
  • PS4 is better than X-Box One due to a more consistent framerate and lack of screen tearing.
  • Both next-gen consoles are running at 1080p 30fps though the article claims the PS4 would have easily being able to get to 60fps..
  • Cut-scenes – A low framerate and poor performance during cut-scenes is affecting all platforms though the PC is capped at 30fps, the consoles dip in the low 20s. According to the article, it’s caused by the game loading data in the background which causes skipped frames and noticeable judder.
  • PS3 & X-Box 360 – Both platforms are running at sub-720p and while the environments are well done, they suffer from jagged edges. Textures, lighting and effects are scaled back on last-gen consoles. The PS3 is the worst-affected having lower-resolution textures and more noticeable jagged edges. Both platforms suffer heavy framerate drops from the 30fps target and screen tearing is an issue. The game does require installation on both consoles as the game streams data from both the disc and the hard drive at the same time.

So there you go. PC, PS4 and X-Box One are generally on par with each other graphically but the PS3 seems to be the worst platform to play the game on. We do have some sort of explanation for the cut-scenes issue that seems to be plaguing everybody and I imagine the next patch will definitely address it.

szkoki

well i played it on PS3. isnt that bad compared to the PC where U NEED TO APPLY film grain since really the graphics arent that great for a next gen game. well at least its a really detailed living world

Doggo33

I'll be getting it for Christmas probably so hopefully all glitches and imperfections will be fixed by then. I'll probably get it on PS3 too. It's either that or PC, and really, I prefer consoles for gaming.

Vrastal

I had to lower thr graphics to bare minimum my laptop and suffered horrible crashing issues. Tried it on my parents desktop and i can run it at medium high with no problems except for some framerate drop. The better graphics definitely make the atmosphere and lighting better. i cant play with film grain on though. it bugs me

PRI. HUDSON

Quote from: Nazrel on Oct 12, 2014, 06:23:40 PM
I had to lower thr graphics to bare minimum my laptop and suffered horrible crashing issues. Tried it on my parents desktop and i can run it at medium high with no problems except for some framerate drop. The better graphics definitely make the atmosphere and lighting better. i cant play with film grain on though. it bugs me

Not sure if it is default, but on my Xbox One, the grain was maxed. I was like, "WTF is this crap!" I turned it down to two notches. Makes it look gritty.

St_Eddie

i cant play with film grain on though. it bugs me

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one.

Quote from: PRI. HUDSON on Oct 12, 2014, 07:08:57 PM
Not sure if it is default, but on my Xbox One, the grain was maxed. I was like, "WTF is this crap!" I turned it down to two notches. Makes it look gritty.

Yep, it is the default setting.  I had the exact same reaction when I booted the game up for the first time (PC version).  I've now set the grain to a much lower setting (virtually turned off).  I don't know what Creative Assembly were thinking with the default setting being so high - it's complete overkill.

PRI. HUDSON

Quote from: St_Eddie on Oct 12, 2014, 08:21:09 PM
i cant play with film grain on though. it bugs me

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one.

Quote from: PRI. HUDSON on Oct 12, 2014, 07:08:57 PM

Yep, it is the default setting.  I had the exact same reaction when I booted the game up for the first time (PC version).  I've now set the grain to a much lower setting (virtually turned off).  I don't know what Creative Assembly were thinking with the default setting being so high - it's complete overkill.

If that's the worst of the games problems, I am happy lol. I liked the minor grain. Game lost its dirty, low-fi feel with it off all the way.

Predatorium

Cut scenes work fine for me, I play with vertical sync off, could that be why?

Xhan

Xhan

QuotePC is the best platform for Alien Isolation but only just.

lol, pretty sure even the Ps4 can't play this game at 4K and 120 fps, so "but only just" might be a slight overstatement.

Considering the Ps4 is 50% more powerful than the Xb1 and has almost double the bandwidth from metal to screen, kind of surprised it doesn't run more evenly on the ps4.

hfeldhaus

Played it on xbox one didn't notice stuttering during any cutscene. Some slow down during the final mission

skull-splitter

PC here, cant get any film grain but I like how stunning and coherent the game looks and feels.

Samus007

Cut scenes are awful for me on PS4. But CA is aware of this and have said they are working on a fix. So thats good.

Darkness

Quote from: Xhan on Oct 13, 2014, 12:08:42 AM
lol, pretty sure even the Ps4 can't play this game at 4K and 120 fps, so "but only just" might be a slight overstatement.

And exactly how many people have 4K displays and graphics cards capable of that performance? Not many, I'd say.

Xhan

Xhan

Not many now, but by the time IsolAlien finishes her support run that number will be much much larger, as three monitor manufacturers and both major card makers have already committed to a very quick roadmap of 60 and 120HZ 4K skus.

As for 120 frames, flagship cards made from both companies three years ago can hit that easily, and it's actually quite playable on an 8800, a card that's seven years old, at 30 frames.

It's not as pie in the sky as one might think.

Ash 937

I'm not a tech-guy but I have it for Xbox 360...and I'm still coming off the heels of Aliens: Colonial Marines so Isolation looks and feels fantastic to me. 

Since A:CM was a slightly better game on the PS3, I figured that the same thing would happen again so I was somewhat surprised to hear that the 360 version is actually better than the PS3 version this time.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed