The Reviews/Interviews Thread

Started by ikarop, Oct 02, 2014, 10:36:46 PM

Author
The Reviews/Interviews Thread (Read 107,748 times)

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

It's idiots posting things like that,  that makes people think Americans are stupid

Hudson

Hudson

Shit, if I was British I'd take a personal point of pride in admiring Alien. The Brits were the ones who actually slaved and made the movie while the white collar American producers and executives were looking over their shoulders whining about shit.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Can we all leave the national stereotypes at the door, please?

It's an honest question, so, I see no harm. I don't think the UK has more of a love for the series than, say, the US does, though. In fact, considering their adoration for all things monster-related, the Japanese might have both our nations beaten on that score. :)

It's useful to note that Cameron encountered a lot of stubborn attitudes from the crew who had worked on 'Alien' and felt the sequel should be helmed by someone on their side of the pond, again. It was working with him which led to them gaining respect for what he could do.

Also worth keeping in mind is the state of the British film industry... Back then, all we were pretty much famous for were churning out period dramas and the like. It's got a bit better since then (mostly during the early 2000s), but by and large, 'Alien' has been an extremely rare example of a film made with a lot of British talent, which qualified for the big budget science-fiction spectacle side of things 'done well'. You can look at the various classic James Bond films and see a similar air of celebration around them, too.

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Oct 05, 2014, 03:06:24 PMIt's an honest question, so, I see no harm.

I agree that it's an honest (if ignorant) question and indeed as Dougles Adams would say; mostly harmless.  However, it is also a baffling question.  It's a little like asking why so many people in the older generation like 'Werther's Originals'.  If anyone was portraying stereotypes, it was Ferazel, by implying a generalisation that the vast majority of British people like 'Alien'.  Okay, so it's not exactly a common thing to stereotype British people as (hence why it's such a bizarrely out-of-left-field thing to say) and as a Brit, I can think of many worse things of being associated with... but still.

Taxemic

Taxemic

Negative criticisms, people that stereotype and trolls are a plenty. It's the reason I spend more time lurking than posting. However it's nice to see support (hfeldhaus and Hudson). I know it's off topic but I'd just like to say that thankfully the majority of people on here, particulary the regulars are sound people, all here for the same reasons. It makes the occasional areshole easy to forget. So thanks.

Ferazel

Ferazel

Yikes didn't mean to completely derail everything, sorry! I just felt that there were a higher percentage of fans that were from the UK. It seems that the reviewers that have understood the game have not been American. Both Rebellion and Creative Assembly hail from the UK. The question was meant as a curiosity rather than anything. Was it more of a cultural phenomenon? Did it have a higher ticket sale per capita? That kind of stuff. It was not intended to be demeaning. Sorry if you interpreted it as such.

WinterActual

WinterActual

Quote from: LARGE on Oct 05, 2014, 01:54:19 PM
What does nationality has to do whether you like science fiction or not? Im russian/bulgarian and a love star wars, fight club, pulp fiction and all the alien movies.   
лол, ставаме трима  ;D

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: Ferazel on Oct 05, 2014, 04:02:39 PM
Yikes didn't mean to completely derail everything, sorry! I just felt that there were a higher percentage of fans that were from the UK. It seems that the reviewers that have understood the game have not been American. Both Rebellion and Creative Assembly hail from the UK. The question was meant as a curiosity rather than anything. Was it more of a cultural phenomenon? Did it have a higher ticket sale per capita? That kind of stuff. It was not intended to be demeaning. Sorry if you interpreted it as such.

What a polite person you are, Ferazel ;D

No worries, it was just a strange question is all.  I know no offense was meant and so none was taken, on my front at least.  It's all good  :)

Jarac

Jarac

Looks like I can happily eat crow. Reviews look good, especially the ones from thw Escapist and Eurogamer. PC Gamer and thesixthaxis also lookin' good. The Guardian, too! IGN and GameSpot... lol. Congrats, CA, you've earned my money. You'll have my $60 come Tuesday.

Vrastal

Vrastal

Two more blasted days.. this is torture.

newbeing

newbeing

Quote from: Nazrel on Oct 05, 2014, 05:59:00 PM

Agreed. Waiting for that preload button to become play.

Taxemic

Taxemic

I hear you. But it's exciting too. Something to look forward to. I've still got to do a full days work, knowing the game is at my house before I can play it.

Vrastal

Vrastal

thats not too bad, something to occupy your time with

USG Ishimura

USG Ishimura

I actually have to wait until next weekend. Pre-ordered it, then a week later got asked to go out-of-state to a conference on the 8th, 9th & 10th.
Tuesday evening I'll probably be busy packing. Sucks....

thecaffeinatedone

Rrr...one more day! Well...actually no, because I work tuesday morning, so that's a no-go. :c Will have to wait till afterwards.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed