Ridley Scott Gives Update on Prometheus 2

Started by Immortan Jonesy, Sep 24, 2014, 04:05:16 PM

Author
Ridley Scott Gives Update on Prometheus 2 (Read 48,929 times)

Kimarhi

AvP R doesn't even fit in the so bad its good category.  I cannot watch it, and I used to binge watch bad movies back in the day for the lulz.

If I had to pick one of the two, I will always pick the first.  Which is also exceedingly mediocre but still feels like AvP lite even if it was neutered by the same storytelling as movies like Godzilla 2014.  Whereas Requiem just goes full retard with the guns and the blood and dreadlocked aliens smacking other aliens around. 

Nightmare Asylum

Yup yup. At least the first one had some level of coherence, actual attempt at telling a story, and some pretty interesting set design (I dig the pyramid). It fell on its face a lot, but the movie definitely had its heart in the right place and seemed to try most of the time.

AVPR was just incomprehensibility bad.

Alien vs Predator as a very concept should just be swept under the rug, in my opinion. They tried it, it didn't work, best to just forget and move on. I find the two series more interesting on their own anyways.

Kimarhi

They lost AvP when they tried to ground it in reality and fit it into continuity.  Should've been a standalone in space in the future isolated from everything else.

The original comic was that way.  The first AvP had no story, and the second avp only mentioned the jockeyship from Alien in a personal data file but otherwise was a standalone. 

I think it can work.  I dug the original AvP comic, and both the two video games.  It might only work in a "whoa, that was awesome," popcorn flick movie but it can work. 

I had wanted to get all the writers on this board together and leak a fake "script" as an april fools joke pushing all the things that we complain about not having in an AvP movie to see where the interest lay (somebody did that with an Alien V script back in the day that got everybody excited post Res), but I have no time and lay awake at night worry about being broke. 

end off topicness

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SM on Sep 30, 2014, 10:06:09 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 30, 2014, 08:17:55 PMIt doesn't really matter what the film was setting up when it was such a mess it killed my interest in seeing any sequels.

That you will go and watch nevertheless.

Actually, I was so disappointed by the first, I'm not sure I'll even bother with the second. Considering the number of films I've missed in the cinema over the years that I actaully really wanted to see, I doubt I'll be able to get that excited over one I'm not especially looking forward to.

oduodu

you can never please everyone all the time. thats why i find the idea of the sj being a cthulu type creature and the engineers beings that served the sj's and stole tech from them as for some reason the sj's were occupied somewhere else for some obscure reason .
they adapted the ships and the tech to their needs but ended up killing themselves since they didn't have all the answers on how the tech worked.

and wanted to restart earth with fresh research subjects to start their own research project which was thwarted by an insider still loyal to the sj's.

but realistically probably the sj = engineer and they sj mystery is no more

i just thought the workaround could have retained that sj mystery with all its lovecraftian feel.

then everyone would have been happy........

i tried !!! i tried to help ......... find a solution .......but to no avail

*sigh*

Eva

AvP was basically a concept that took Giger's wonderful creations and reduced them to indifferent canon fodder.

Producer John Davis appears to be the main guy responsible for these films becoming a reality and in the same process, bury whatever aspirations other producers, writers or film makers had with this universe - including Ridleys and Camerons ideas.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

The AVP concept could work brilliantly. I still say that the original comic could be adapted with with very little modification (largely, making the Alien a genuine and epic challenge for every single Predator confrontation; facing off aganst them should make you an elite, not a common adult) and the basic story would be great to watch on the big screen.

To this day, I still sometimes re-read it from start to finish. Has just the right tone and pacing for a movie.

Quote from: Gash on Sep 30, 2014, 08:13:59 PM
Ancient astronauts, artificial humans, gods and myths, blind faith; all make for a more compelling story than 'ooh big bad Queen Xeno vs  Ripley substitute.

I don't think that aiming for an epic sense of scope was the film's problem (and nor do I think 'Aliens' should ever just be assumed to be about gun battles). But the characters do come across as inept/idiotic and the storyline is messy with not much in the way of a logical climactic pay-off. We, the audience, are presented with big questions, sure, but the supposed answers are convoluted as hell and for no good reason: Going by the comments of Scott/Lindelof, they never really had any kind of over-arcing plan in mind and were making stuff up as they went along. Even the black ooze seems inconsistent and they admitted to having no idea of whether it was meant to be a weapon or genetic enhancement simply applied wrong.

If the basic idea of what drove the story had been written in a more logical, plausible fashion, there wouldn't be nearly the same level of criticism levelled against it.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Oct 01, 2014, 10:42:46 AMI don't think that aiming for an epic sense of scope was the film's problem (and nor do I think 'Aliens' should ever just be assumed to be about gun battles). But the characters do come across as inept/idiotic and the storyline is messy with not much in the way of a logical climactic pay-off. We, the audience, are presented with big questions, sure, but the supposed answers are convoluted as hell and for no good reason: Going by the comments of Scott/Lindelof, they never really had any kind of over-arcing plan in mind and were making stuff up as they went along. Even the black ooze seems inconsistent and they admitted to having no idea of whether it was meant to be a weapon or genetic enhancement simply applied wrong.

Wholly agree with this.

Master

Quote from: Eva on Sep 30, 2014, 09:24:39 PM
Quote from: Master on Sep 30, 2014, 07:08:03 PM
Quote from: Eva on Sep 30, 2014, 09:52:29 AM
I'll take a flawed film based on someone attempting to try something new and different over a slick looking film based on someone repeating what's been done numerous times before any day.
So you would basically take half baked, not very tasty attempt on cake from someone who thinks he'll something delicious insted of very good yet certainly repetitive muffin? I'm not sure I get it.

Well, that's not quite what I was saying... let me ask you this then:

how do you think that 'very good muffin' in your food analogy became a very good muffin?

By going step by step through script that is really well though. The story should have opening, build up, catharsis and ending. Prometheus have great bulid up, but there is no point nor strong ending whatsoever. 

Gash

Never bothered me. If humans ever do visit a planet and find evidence of intelligent life it will be all questions and unfathomable mystery. To me, in Prometheus, you have that as a backdrop to David, a humanoid who serves his creator and interacts with physically and mentally inferior people as a servant, until human arrogance and intrigue, frees him.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Gash on Oct 01, 2014, 03:21:45 PMNever bothered me. If humans ever do visit a planet and find evidence of intelligent life it will be all questions and unfathomable mystery.

But that's not what we're debating. We're debating the fact that the film was a nonsensical mess, even if you ignore all the extraterrestrial stuff in it.

Gash

Didn't find it so.

HuDaFuK

So you didn't find a supposedly expert biologist petting an unknown alien lifeform that's clearly acting very aggressively more than a little retarded?

Eva

Quote from: Master on Oct 01, 2014, 03:16:06 PM
Quote from: Eva on Sep 30, 2014, 09:52:29 AM
how do you think that 'very good muffin' in your food analogy became a very good muffin?

By going step by step through script that is really well though.

I see. So how did that well thought out script aka recipe come into existence? Did it already exist when the very first muffin ever made was baked?

Gash

The Steve Irwin analogy.

People who are destined to die in movies usually do something stupid. Just like real people sometimes do.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed