Alien/Predator Novel Reviews

Started by Hudson, Aug 19, 2014, 04:55:43 PM

Author
Alien/Predator Novel Reviews (Read 71,036 times)

Wysps

Wysps

It was also written around the same time as The Deadliest of the Species - seems like during that period the writers were trying to figure out how the series was going to reconcile the human-Predator teamups.  I wouldn't be surprised if this influenced Bischoff's direction to some extent... 

Wysps

Wysps

Quote from: Hudson on May 15, 2019, 03:02:00 PM
Quote from: Wysps on May 14, 2019, 10:55:46 PM
It was also written around the same time as The Deadliest of the Species - seems like during that period the writers were trying to figure out how the series was going to reconcile the human-Predator teamups.  I wouldn't be surprised if this influenced Bischoff's direction to some extent...

When I think about it, it was really just an amped up version of the AvP Prey climactic sequence. But instead of one human and one Predator teaming up, it was a group of humans and a Predator clan.

I haven't read DotS in years. Should I even? After grad school I'm almost afraid to.

I feel like I'm one of the few people that actually likes DotS, despite a lot of its faults lol. Idk, I appreciated it more after I read it the second time - and ironically it was after grad school for me as well. I don't know if I'm just more forgiving of the confusing writing after so many years of reading worse AvP comics/books, or the fact that I came to like the heroine of the story more as I "got older". I have a biased opinion on the matter  :laugh:

426Buddy

426Buddy

DotS is the worst Alien or predator comic ive ever read, and ive read and own all of them.

Ill take Xenogenisis over DotS any day lol.

SM

SM

That's always a tough call.

SM

SM

I read AvP: Prey God know how many years ago and just finished re-reading.  It was about as good as I remember.  That is, very good.  Only real criticism is Dachande and Machiko seem pretty impervious to acid.  It often rates a mention when Aliens are getting shot, but generally seems to conveniently miss them.

Oh, and good lord there are a lot of typos.

I've often said that the AvP flick borrowed so much from the first comic/ novel that it would make an adaptation redundant.  Yeah, nah, I think if they did a close adaptation it would blow Andersons film so far out of the water, that no one would care.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Sadly movies rarely fully adapt source material. A lot of those movies based on video games for example, always deviate from the source material, most of the time in a massive way to the point its not even recognizable outside of the title and some characters.

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jul 03, 2019, 10:31:49 AM
Sadly movies rarely fully adapt source material. A lot of those movies based on video games for example, always deviate from the source material, most of the time in a massive way to the point its not even recognizable outside of the title and some characters.
Yep, which is why Mortal Kombat is still the best videogame movie.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Predator: Forever Midnight

The opening Predator attack on the heroes' ship was really well done, I thought. I especially loved the ship's computer calling out the off-screen deaths of the crew as they happened, that was both creepy and darkly comic.

Sadly once the action hits the planet's surface this novel just gets totally wtf. It seemed to consist entirely of great ideas executed in really terrible ways; I feel like a different author could've made an infinitely more satisfying novel out of the same premise. Plus it just goes overboard with the amount of random flora and fauna it describes. I get it, there's some weird shit on this planet, I don't need to read a detailed description of some bizarre, nonsensical organism every five pages.

The characters were all pretty cardboard, the Predators seemed to range between highly lethal and totally incompetent depending on the scene, and the finale felt rushed. Not impressed.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Predator: Flesh and Blood

So much better than the previous one. The family intrigue was nicely done and kept it refreshingly grounded despite the future setting, the lead human and Predator characters were engaging, and the Predators in general were handled far better than in Forever Midnight. Thoroughly enjoyed this one.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Predator: Concrete Jungle

My enjoyment of Flesh and Blood inspired me to go back and give this another go. I remembered not liking this all that much first time around, but I always suspected that was at least partly down to the fact I read it off the back of a nine-book Bantam Aliens marathon and was just burnt out on AVP tie-in literature. True enough, I enjoyed it more second time around, although it's still not without its flaws. The story gets a bit silly by the end and I remain less than thrilled by Nathan Archer's thoroughly workman and generally uninspired prose. It also didn't feel like it expanded much beyond the comic. Still, some neat stuff I'd completely forgotten about, like Schaefer retracing Dutch's steps through Central America and finding the locations from the film. OK but not great.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Been re-reading the Alien movie novelisations over the last few weeks.

Alien remains probably the best of the ADF adaptations, it's genuinely tense and scary at times. Some nice added insight into the characters.

With Aliens, it may sound kinda silly, but the deletion of all the harsh language really harms the overall experience, by virtue of making the soldiers come across as unrealistic and false. It never stops being distracting.

If Alien 3 kept up the quality with which it starts, it might pip Alien for me, but sadly you can really tell Foster had lost interest by the end. The final bait and chase sequence in particular feels entirely phoned-in.

Possibly controversial, but I think I like Alien Resurrection the most out of the original four. It seems to genuinely improve upon the movie in a way the preceding ADF novels don't. Admittedly it starts with a lower bar, but still, it really adds a lot to the story.

Just starting Alien: Covenant now. I like that Foster starts all of his novelisations with a discussion on dreams.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Aug 29, 2019, 09:28:31 AM
Possibly controversial, but I think I like Alien Resurrection the most out of the original four. It seems to genuinely improve upon the movie in a way the preceding ADF novels don't. Admittedly it starts with a lower bar, but still, it really adds a lot to the story.

Just starting Alien: Covenant now. I like that Foster starts all of his novelisations with a discussion on dreams.

I agree there. And I have the same thoughts on the Covenant novelization.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Yeah, I remember enjoying Covenant a lot.

The Old One

The Old One

I did, mostly apart from unnatural extension of dialogue where the film is superior, and I wasn't entirely brought in by his descriptive writing. And didn't really change what needed changing from the plot.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Finished the Covenant adaptation a while back. As with the Resurrection novelisation, I definitely find it superior to the movie, although it still suffers from the same problem of going downhill badly in the second half (admittedly the fault of the source material rather than ADF's writing).

Then, after a bit of a break break from AVP, I continued with a re-read of the Predator and Predator 2 novelisations.

The first of these is as bizarre as I remember it being - aside from featuring what is essentially an entirely different titular creature compared to the one in the film, I just can't get my head around the way it seems to want to make Dutch and his men total pricks. Most obviously there's the fact they're all openly racist towards both Dillon and the local Hispanic rebels. I don't recall ever reading another book where the main cast were so genuinely unlikable.

Predator 2's aces though. Revisiting these books has cemented it as my favourite of all the film adaptations. I genuinely think this contains perhaps the best portrayal of the Predator itself found in any of the EU books - it manages to shed some interesting light on them without ever over-humanising them, and the insights into the City Hunter's thoughts and motives really add to the story. I also get a kick out of the bits written from Tony Pope's point of view; taking such a minor supporting character and putting him front and centre, even if only briefly, was such a neat, unexpected touch, and his character works better here than it did on the screen. It's a shame this has never been reissued by Titan, because copies are incredibly hard to find at a reasonable price these days. One thing I had forgotten tough, it's a terrible book for anyone who likes novels they can just pick up and put down - the entire 230-page story consists of just eight chapters :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed