Why does no one care about the human characters?

Started by KillingJoke, Sep 07, 2007, 01:40:42 AM

Author
Why does no one care about the human characters? (Read 31,569 times)

tommygun

So people who hunt, and ordinary soldiers  in the military are bad?  and we should show no concern or interest in them?  The predator is a hunter and the aliens are mindless killers so they are good?

Wolf Sazen

Wolf Sazen

Quote from: Major Alan Schaefer on Sep 07, 2007, 01:45:20 AM
Quote from: pred_alien on Sep 07, 2007, 01:44:05 AM

but remember this is aliens and preds fighting...its not about humans...its about the fighting..who gives a f**k the humans are all fodder
I do
Yeah, me too.  Though the creatures are what makes the movie, the human's mortality is what makes the circumstances frightening. 

JMR

I think the directors are mindless idiots if they don't develope the charachters. It's basic movie math so to speak. You can't have a good movie without drama, and you can't have drama without development of charachters and story. We haven't seen much of those because the first AvP had so little fighting between the species that this time around, they are making sure to let everybody know how much carnage to expect. I have total faith the brothers are not going to ignore such a vital part to make a good movie.

PRAETORIAN MONSTER

PRAETORIAN MONSTER

alien:   i cared for all of them except ash.
aliens:  i cared for all of them, except burke.
alien3: i cared for all of them, except the dude that get's chopped up by the fan.
alien ressurection:  i only cared about michael wincott's, brad dourif's, ron pearlman's, the cripple's and danny hayeda's characters.

predator1: cared for all of them.
predator2: all of them.
avp: i cared for weyland, skinny funny lookin guy, and the irish guy.

reasons:
alien: ash was an evil driod.   but all were good acting.
aliens: burke was a company pr**k, but all were good acting.
alien3: guy in the shaft was just singing i didnt know him, all were good acting.
alien ressurection: the 5 that i mentioned gave the best performances, the rest were idiots, including ripley's clone's one liners.

predator: the film is just a masterpiece, and every actor gave an incredible performance.
predator2: all actors gave great performances, cared about them all, except the jamaicans and the columbians, cause they were just scum, lol.
avp: the one's that i mentioned were the only ones that gave decent performances.

so, bottom line: it comes down to how convincingly the actors portray thier characters.  at the same time, burke, ash, jamaicans and columbians were great performances, but they were pr**ks, so i wanted them to die.  the rest of the characters i didnt mention that i didnt like, were just poor performances in my book.

90% of whether i care or not comes down to acting.

Jango1201

one concept that sold me in my older years to the alien movies was not only character devlopment, but beleivability. To this day alien still scares me and ive been a fan for 16 years now. Lambert sels the beleivability because she is really freakin scared, like shes scared for the audience. Aliens was the same thing with its military soldiers, but at least one character in that movie (whether it be Hudson, Hicks, Ripley etc.) had someone we could relate to at one point in our lives or another.

Alienseseses

QuoteWhy does no one care about the human characters?

Because so far, we haven't actually seen them do anything, so we have no attachment whatsoever.
We saw them in trailers. Uh, that's it.
The Alien trailer. Did you actually care about the characters from the TRAILER?

PRAETORIAN MONSTER

Quote from: Alienseseses on Oct 30, 2007, 10:44:34 AM

Because so far, we haven't actually seen them do anything, so we have no attachment whatsoever.

that movie came out the year i was born.   didnt catch the trailer.  1977 was an awesome year.  slap shot, star wars and caddyshack came out that year too.  i was born in an awesome year.  therefore i'm awesome.

AlienatedPredator

Great point. As usual, everyone has been falling into the trap of comparing details of movies they HAVE seen with movies they HAVEN'T seen. Your post has effectively highlighted the stupidity of that approach.

PRAETORIAN MONSTER

Quote from: PRAETORIAN MONSTER on Oct 30, 2007, 01:16:39 PM

that movie came out the year i was born.   didnt catch the trailer.  1977 was an awesome year.  slap shot, star wars and caddyshack came out that year too.  i was born in an awesome year.  therefore i'm awesome.

or wait a minute, i think alien was 76.   whatever, 77=best year.

O.W.L.F.

Quote from: PRAETORIAN MONSTER on Oct 30, 2007, 03:46:19 PM
Quote from: PRAETORIAN MONSTER on Oct 30, 2007, 01:16:39 PM

or wait a minute, i think alien was 76.   whatever, 77=best year.

Alien was made in 1979....

dallevalle

i care about the human characters in any movies when its human against aliens iv allways been with the humans so i care :)

Alienseseses

I didn't want to start a new topic, so...

Who did you care about the most?

Me, I cared for Morales, Darci and Carrie the most.

gases

Quote from: AlienatedPredator on Oct 30, 2007, 02:54:05 PM

Great point. As usual, everyone has been falling into the trap of comparing details of movies they HAVE seen with movies they HAVEN'T seen. Your post has effectively highlighted the stupidity of that approach.

Agreed. Who did that?

Pvt. Hicks

Molly's dad.

War Wager

I actually cared a little for Carrie although she only had a few lines in the movie:

"No he didn't."
"He always calls Eddie..."
"Ok, I'll see you soon."
"Darcy's picking me up, I'll be staying with her for a few days."

:P

But she generally seemed like a nice, good hearted person. It's a shame she didn't get more screen time. I liked Darcy a lot too exept for her rather stupid one liner.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed