‘Alien 5’ Planned? Sigourney Weaver Wants To Resolve Ripley’s Story

Started by LastSurvivor92, Jul 27, 2014, 03:10:24 AM

Author
‘Alien 5’ Planned? Sigourney Weaver Wants To Resolve Ripley’s Story (Read 39,631 times)

SM

The Raiders films were using the pinnacle of special effects when they were made (and it sometimes shows they were pushing the effects to their limit).

With the new one and the Star Wars prequels they were also inventing new effects technologies in order to get the job done.  Why wouldn't they use the pinnacle of current effects?

There's no difference.  Are there some dodgy CG shots?  Yep.  Same as how there's some dodgy practical effects shots in older films.  When you wear rose coloured glasses though, and are in a hurry to bash CGI, that tends to get forgotten.

HuDaFuK

I'm not bashing CGI, I'm bashing the way it's used in a lot of modern films. Take the new Star Wars films - they went so over the top with it you can't tell what the hell's going on half the time. The best example is the space battle at the start of Revenge of the Sith - it's a total mess. The CGI let them go so far with all the hundreds of ships and explosions that it ended up a confusing jumble.

CGI can be incredible when used properly (look at District 9), but far too often movies go overboard with it. And I think Crystal Skull was a case in point, especially as that's what they specifically said they wouldn't do.

SM

SM

How was the start of the Revenge of the Sith confusing?

Anakin and Obi-Wan battle droid starfighters and buzz droids as they fight their way to General Grevious' ship to resuce the Chancellor.  The battle is just background.

Best opening to a Star Wars film since the original.

My 20 month old didn't seem confused in the slightest...

How is it difficult to work out what's going on in a Star Wars film anyway?

As for Crystal Skull - they assessed it and changed their minds.  Stiff shit.  Pablo Helman said what I said above.  The originals used the best effects available at the time - they did the same this time. 

HuDaFuK

Confused is the wrong word. Visual overload perhaps. It was so frenetic that I couldn't really concentrate on any of what was happening to be impressed by it. It was like visual white noise.

SM

No different the battle in Return of the Jedi.  This one just had more going in the wide shots in the background.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SM on Aug 06, 2014, 08:41:12 AMNo different the battle in Return of the Jedi.

Not to me. That one felt far more lucid.

MH-875

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Aug 06, 2014, 08:07:37 AM
I think what ruined the film for me was that they showed you the aliens at the end. In the first film, the Ark kills all the Nazis but we never see God. Shiva doesn't rock up to burn Mola Ram's hand in the second. Jesus Christ doesn't walk out of the temple in the third. It was all left to our imagination. By simply showing us the aliens, it took away all the mysticism.

I can understand that but I also wonder whether the fact that the crystal skull was a body part of the "mystical" being means that to not show it whole would have denied the viewer an expected payoff or been anti-climactic.  Might having not depicted the restored "alien" been on par with opening the Ark and having the Nazi's simply drop dead instead of the pretty-then-scary wraiths and face melting?

For the sake of conveying mysticism I suspect they could have done better than interdimensional beings but another religious artifact might have been too old hat.  In my opinion, it was set up to be non-mystical from the start when they borrowed from Roswell and Area 51.

My thoughts on imagery-rich space battles:  Revenge of the Sith's opener challenged me a bit too.  I wanted to follow what was happening to this ship and that ship, wondered which ship belonged to which side, etc.  It was spectacular, but perhaps too much so for me.  And perhaps that is part of the point: "fog of war" for the viewer if I don't misuse the phrase.  Some of the bigger battles in the various Star Trek series and Babylon 5 probably did this to me too, as well as the Alliance/Reaver fight in Serenity.  "Pan back!  I was still looking at that one ship!"

To be honest it's a similar effect for me during the Operations battle in Aliens.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: MH-875 on Aug 06, 2014, 09:09:47 AMTo be honest it's a similar effect for me during the Operations battle in Aliens.

I got the impression that was supposed to be a little confusing and chaotic, what with all the strobe lights and quick cutting.

Perhaps the same is true of Revenge of the Sith. But I didn't get that from the battles in the original series, or The Phantom Menace.

SM

With the Yavin battle, or Hoth, or Endor or Naboo - the battle is the focus.

Empire wants to blow Yavin; Alliance wants to destroy Death Star.
Empire wants to destroy Alliance shield  and base; Alliance fights delaying action while they evacuate.
Alliance wants to destroy shield/ Death Star; Empire wants to annihilate Alliance fleet.
Naboo/ Gungans want to take out droid control ship and capture Viceroy; Trade Federation wants the Queen.

The battle is the story.

With ROTS, the story is Obi-Wan and Anakin have to rescue the Chancellor and the battle is just a backdrop.

SM

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: tmjhur on Aug 06, 2014, 11:23:26 AM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2008/10/train.jpg

Is that a Henschel and Son, class 25 4-8-4, engine number 477615? Wow they always were considered a bit overpowered.

They also always had problems with connecting rods failing, big end bearings breaking up as well as cracks developing in the motion girder of the Alligator crossheads.

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 06, 2014, 03:31:32 AM
Quote from: Chronicle on Aug 06, 2014, 02:25:15 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 06, 2014, 12:12:10 AM
They were all awful once he stopped making an effort to align them with the games.

dude even starting with Mortal Kombat it was horrible. I think the one film that maybe got close to even being called worthy to be a film is the first Resident Evil and thats it. All the other stuff is plebian.

They were all better movies than Alien Resurrection.

Oh stop it Local!  :laugh:

Mr. Clemens

Just wanna hold my hand up and say I enjoyed Indy 4, as well. 'Cept those goddamn gophers. It's a fun film. MH-875's young/old thesis is bang-on, in my opinion, and certainly applies to Star Wars just as much.

Quote from: A_Sexual_Tyrannosaurus on Aug 06, 2014, 06:38:38 AM
Yeah, your opinion no longer matters to me...

...and the opinion of someone actually in favour of an Alien 'reboot' no longer matters to me.

SM

Gophers were on screen for a few seconds.

Those monkeys on the other hand...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed