‘Alien 5’ Planned? Sigourney Weaver Wants To Resolve Ripley’s Story

Started by LastSurvivor92, Jul 27, 2014, 03:10:24 AM

Author
‘Alien 5’ Planned? Sigourney Weaver Wants To Resolve Ripley’s Story (Read 39,621 times)

SM

Ridley and Jimbob doled out tidbits of info to the characters and by extension, the audience.

Paulie mostly told us stuff we already knew, or could easily guess.  We learn little about the characters and what we do learn isn't terribly exciting.  Conversely, have a look at how much we learned about Parker, Dallas, Ripley, Burke, Bishop, or Hicks.  Sweet f**k all - and yet they were all way more interesting than Lex ('Here's some backstory about my dad'), or Sebastian (aka Exposition Boy).  All Lex's backstory did was give Weyland more than one dimension.  Miller's death was predetermined as soon as he whipped the pictures of the kids out - yet, he was able to suddenly become interesting seconds before said death.

The original characters personalities are all determined off screen, and then portayed by the actors - rather than having it blatantly told to us "I act like this, because of this in my past".  An accusation that could be levelled at Shaw in Prometheus too while we're at it.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SM on Aug 04, 2014, 08:53:48 AMPaulie mostly told us stuff we already knew, or could easily guess.  We learn little about the characters and what we do learn isn't terribly exciting.  Conversely, have a look at how much we learned about Parker, Dallas, Ripley, Burke, Bishop, or Hicks.  Sweet f**k all - and yet they were all way more interesting than Lex ('Here's some backstory about my dad'), or Sebastian (aka Exposition Boy).

For me, the characters were killed by the dialogue. Like you said, in Alien we know almost nothing about the crew, but most of what they say is interesting and naturalistic enough for them to be engaging. In AVP, everything anyone says sounds like it comes straight out of an awful, undeveloped screenplay - which it did.

LastSurvivor92

I think an Alien 5 film would be very achievable but the studio would have to unfortunately deviate from the storyline from Resurrection in-order to get this series kicked off in the right direction again. It would have to be a simple storyline with characters who we could believe in. I'm sure Sigourney would need to be involved. Maybe she could become a more elderly heroine. Become an inspiration for older people. The only thing i'd carry over from 4 would be to have the DNA of the Aliens still mixed in with Ripley's but make her character more human. Less, 'alieny' and more down to earth, human based so we felt more connected to the character.

I feel like Alien 5 is a wanted film and its not impossible to think about something like this happening. The studio just needs to have a clear idea with a very innovative director and move forward with it. I mean if James Cameron and Ridley Scott were at one point in, "violent agreement" about making an Alien 5 than that should be enough for any director to want to explore this series further. Apparently Scott and Cameron believed there was still life in the series and Sigourney firmly believes this as well. Why the hell has no one picked up on this yet? Are the studios just that ignorant. I mean the people that seeded this series into existence wanted this series to move forward yet no one took action. Its such a shame and probably one of the most overlooked sequels that could of made this series something again.

Eva

That Scott-Cameron-Weaver boat has sailed, I'm afraid. Cameron is involved with Avatar and Battle Angel (perhaps for what remains of his career as a film maker) and Scott has made it clear that he wanted to steer away from ALIEN with the new addition(s) to the franchise. I think their plan was to pick the story up after ALIENS (or ALIEN 3 - can't remember) ended and ignore whatever others had added to the universe.

Quote from: SiL on Aug 03, 2014, 05:11:17 AM
Quote from: Eva on Aug 02, 2014, 12:59:57 AM
I still can't believe 20th Century Fox handed over 2 of their most iconic franchises to a bunch of twats with so little understanding of what made the original movies work in the first place.

Twice.
Honestly, I think Anderson did understand.

He just wasn't good enough to do it himself.

He's right, for example, when he says that the slower builds of the first two Alien films contributed immensely to their effectiveness, but where those films built tension and unease, he has a bunch of people wandering around saying "Dafuq is this? Dafuq is that? Oh no, I'm dead!" for two thirds of the damn film. He understood the concept, he just wasn't competent enough in the work he did on the film to nail the execution.

Anderson comes across as a film maker who's basically remade the same film over and over his entire career. AvP is almost identical to Resident Evil and Event Horizon in how the film looks/sounds/is edited/builds on 1-dimensional character arch types etc etc.

In that sense, I can't really blame him for how AvP turned out - he can only make 1 kind of movie, no matter the source material given to him, I suspect. 20th Century Fox had done this with other high profile franchises - Die Hard, X-Men - handing sequel duties over to creative teams with little skill on the cheap and the results... well...

Not even gonna bother chop apart AvP:R here, which might be the worst film I've ever watched in a movie theater. Transformers 2 was an orgasmic thunderbolt of enjoyment compared to that one. :D

SM

Many would argue that at least 5 of the 7 X-Men films are pretty decent.

Eva

Quote from: SM on Aug 04, 2014, 10:16:15 PM
Many would argue that at least 5 of the 7 X-Men films are pretty decent.

They turned it around when they started hiring talented directors and screenwriters again. ;)

Die Hard on the other hand.... f*** me... and I cherish John McTiernans original film as much as I would cherish my first born... :'(

SM

First and third are good.  Don't remember enough about the others.

As for X-Men aren't they all considered pretty good apart form 3 and the first Wolverine flick?  Sounds pretty consistent with a couple of hiccups, rather than something thet needed turning around.

Eva

Quote from: SM on Aug 04, 2014, 10:40:38 PM
First and third are good.  Don't remember enough about the others.

As for X-Men aren't they all considered pretty good apart form 3 and the first Wolverine flick?  Sounds pretty consistent with a couple of hiccups, rather than something thet needed turning around.

In the case of X-Men, everything fell apart when Singer scrambled for Superman Returns and Fox decided to hire Brett 'the Hack' Rattner for the third film. When that film buried any aspirations for continuing with the original X-Men cast, they 'AvP'ed' the franchise with the first of a series of planned Origins films. I believe a stand alone Magneto film was planned to follow Wolverine.

Nevermind... I'm derailing the thread with this rant. :D

Russ

Quote from: Eva on Aug 04, 2014, 10:14:04 PM

Anderson comes across as a film maker who's basically remade the same film over and over his entire career. AvP is almost identical to Resident Evil and Event Horizon in how the film looks/sounds/is edited/builds on 1-dimensional character arch types etc etc.

Yes. But I like that film *lol*

SM

He keeps making money with mediocre movies, so someone has to like them.

PsyKore

It's funny, I don't remember ever actively wanting to see most of his films, especially all the Resident Evils, but for some reason I feel like I know all his films really really well. Eva's probably right that he makes the same film all the time, haha.

Russ

I think with Anderson, he does what it says on the tin - I find his films really entertaining which is all that really matters. As we know, his films also make oodles of cash, which means that the Impact machine will keep on rolling.

To be honest, I think the guy is a real success story; started out with a small indie film, formed his own production company and now writes and directs films he wants to make. I mean - its the dream job for many people. Many have tried, many have failed, but whatever you think of his films, he's living the dream. I admire that.

SM

His Resident Evil films make oodles of money.  His other films sometimes do okay, sometimes tank. He owes his career to an already successful video game with a built in fanbase.

Good work if you can get it.

Eva

Resident Evil & Event Horizon are better executed movies that plot wise seemed to fit better with his 'template' than the established ALIEN & Predator universe.

ALIEN/ALIENS/Predator are usually associated with fantastic creature design, extremely high production values and visuals, fantastic soundtracks and very memorable characters - all of which AvP had none.

I haven't seen his latest Evil movies, but I imagine they're basically copies of what came before each one of them. :D

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Aug 05, 2014, 10:16:23 PM
His Resident Evil films make oodles of money.  His other films sometimes do okay, sometimes tank. He owes his career to an already successful video game with a built in fanbase.

Good work if you can get it.

Didn't he do Mortal Kombat first?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed