‘Alien 5’ Planned? Sigourney Weaver Wants To Resolve Ripley’s Story

Started by LastSurvivor92, Jul 27, 2014, 03:10:24 AM

Author
‘Alien 5’ Planned? Sigourney Weaver Wants To Resolve Ripley’s Story (Read 39,633 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Anderson did a pretty reasonable job with Event Horizon. It's certainly got issues but I though it was pretty decent myself. It's most likely that which got him the AvP gig in the first place.

HuDaFuK

I like Event Horizon too. A much better Alien film than AVP was.

PsyKore

I remember being excited for AvP before it came out because of Event Horizon. Shame how it turned out though.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: SiL on Aug 03, 2014, 05:11:17 AM
Honestly, I think Anderson did understand.

He just wasn't good enough to do it himself.

He's right, for example, when he says that the slower builds of the first two Alien films contributed immensely to their effectiveness, but where those films built tension and unease, he has a bunch of people wandering around saying "Dafuq is this? Dafuq is that? Oh no, I'm dead!" for two thirds of the damn film. He understood the concept, he just wasn't competent enough in the work he did on the film to nail the execution.

Precisely. When you look at the special feature interviews, you probably can believe the story concept got pitched with the same atmosphere as 'Jaws', just as (I think) the producer explained. But pitching something in a meeting is often different to how the details of a finished script turn out to be.

And even then, another director (or even himself, if he'd been in 'Event Horizon' mode, rather than 'Resident Evil') could have done certain things to portray the same thing in a different way. There were a bunch of scenes which could have had exactly the same dialogue and things taking place, but which didn't feel right, simply because of the wrong timing, music, lighting, way they were shot and all the rest of it.

Even so, it wasn't as bad as it could have been. 'Requiem' is a cautionary tale in that direction, if ever there was.

T Dog

I had an idea before Prometheus was announced and it was just a prequel that they should introduce a new characer and then link that character up with Ripley in a sequel.

Now with all the universe building that goes on in modern mainstream movies I wonder is there an idea in FOX to try and link together the ALIEN / PROMETHEUS series.

I don't think that is outside and realm of possibility. They just did it with X Men.
They'd need to really establish some time dilation plot device to get them both Shaw/David and Ripley into the same time zone.
Maybe Ripley 8 could find the course to the Engineer home planet and go there alone and somehow arrive there before Shaw?????

I dunno, I would rather they link up though than keep them separate. I would love to see Ripley take down Shaw's silly belief's several hundred notches.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: tmjhur on Aug 03, 2014, 07:22:45 PMNow with all the universe building that goes on in modern mainstream movies I wonder is there an idea in FOX to try and link together the ALIEN / PROMETHEUS series.

Given how they specifically moved Prometheus away from Alien during it's development, that seems kinda unlikely. But I guess studios change their mind all the time.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

They could put Shaw in hypersleep for a few centuries.  She could wake up on the juggernaut to Ripley 8's disapproving face.

MH-875

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 03, 2014, 08:08:14 PM
The could put Shaw in hypersleep for a few centuries.  She could wake up on the juggernaut to Ripley 8's disapproving face.

Ripley 8: "What.  Did.  You.  Do?"
Shaw: "I wanted to believe!"

Local Trouble

I can think of worse things than Sigourney Weaver verbally abusing Noomi Rapeface.  I couldn't stand Shaw.

T Dog

How would you do the story though?

Ripley makes it her goal to find out where the ALIEN came from which leads her to the same destination as SHAW and DAVID?
And then maybe you learn what happened to Shaw and David by Ripley doing the detective work?

Or you do one movie where Shaw and David get to the Engineer homeworld and whatever happens happens.

Then in the next movie Ripley gets to the homeworld and finds David and possibly a cryogenically frozen Shaw and they all get together and do whatever they want to do.

Ripley and David for Engineer/Xeno King and Queen!!!!!!

Anyway I'm just typing aloud here but it's certainly possible to get the characters together if they want to.

Xenomorphine

I suspect Ripley 8 would view the events as the Engineers getting what was coming to them. She wasn't too big on compassion.

MH-875

If I were abducted, held at gunpoint, and told that I would earn my freedom, and $100,000 USD somehow tax free (I'm not cheap) if I wrote the script for Alien 5 and it had to include:

-Ripley 8
-The above encountering Shaw and David.
-The origins of the Alien

I would be in that room a long time, or possibly dead after being shot during an escape attempt.

If, however, I was granted latitude on the last plot point I would, as I'm about to, hack out something like this:

-Ripley 8 would be tracking down the "alien homeworld" to exterminate them "once and for all!"
-Shaw and David would be finally on the Engineer homeworld having adventured through time and space.  There they meet Ripley 8, who just stumbled upon it.
-The Engineer homeworld is in ruins.  Yes, the Alien did it.  They learn that the Alien is very adaptable when it comes to reproduction especially after driving a spacefaring race back to something like a stone age.  Anything goes, and all of it is horrible.
-The three team up when they conclude, via completely unbiased analysis, that the Engineers created the Alien and were predictably murdered by it.
-They learn of a remnant of Engineers out in the cosmos.  Shaw wants to ask Why more plaintively than ever before, and Ripley 8 just wants to murder them.
-They find these Engineers holed up in some fortress, with countless goo-related traps.  We'll need extra human characters to suffer the body horror so our plucky trio can get through unscathed.
-These Engineers are clearly extremely paranoid and seem to be on the verge of ending themselves.  But when Ripley, Shaw, and David finally appear before them they seem relieved, and quit talkative.
-They reveal that they simply found the Alien (though not anywhere they believe is its homeworld) but on some other world ravaged by it (where they learned that civilization had once found the Alien as well.  They also reveal that the black goo originally had two purposes: first to immunize lifeforms against the Alien.  Second, to serve as a weapon against the Alien directly.  They failed miserably on both accounts because they used too much of the Alien's DNA in making the goo and it proved just as adaptable.  That or something made to fight a monster (surprise!) turned into a monster itself.  They hang their heads in shame and say "we were wrong".  Shaw looks crestfallen that someone stole her thunder.
-Their story told, the Engineers go into hibernation after telling our protagonists to go look in a nearby vault for "the truth/origin/destiny of the Alien"  (David has trouble translating that bit).  In that vault we see a map of the galaxy that shows that the Alien is effectively everywhere.  Roll credits.

I would be released and naturally not paid.  My script would go on to suffer so many rewrites it ended up as a Gremlins sequel.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 03, 2014, 09:23:17 PMNoomi Rapeface

:D I knew I couldn't be the only person who calls her that!

SM

What an awful wordplay.

Russ

Quote from: SiL on Aug 03, 2014, 05:11:17 AM

Honestly, I think Anderson did understand.

He just wasn't good enough to do it himself.

He's right, for example, when he says that the slower builds of the first two Alien films contributed immensely to their effectiveness, but where those films built tension and unease, he has a bunch of people wandering around saying "Dafuq is this? Dafuq is that? Oh no, I'm dead!" for two thirds of the damn film. He understood the concept, he just wasn't competent enough in the work he did on the film to nail the execution.

I really think he did too - watching all those special features and listening to the commentary, it's really clear that he has a lot of love for what he was doing and really wanted to give "the fans" (including himself, I guess) something "they'd never seen before."

I think it was in the commentary of "Aliens" where Cameron talks about the slow build? He says that about 40 minutes has gone by and nothing has really happened and "you'd never get away with that nowadays."

I'm not sure that its competency - I think he's a good (not great) director, but he's also a man that delivers what the studio wants - so maybe with all the money in the world and the time, he would have made a slow burner. Or not - It's difficult to say, given Anderson's track record: going on the majority of evidence, you'd be right (which is all we can go on) but then you look at Event Horizon and you think "well... may be he could have pulled it off better".

Quote from: tmjhurHow would you do the story though?
Quote from: MH-875If I were abducted, held at gunpoint, and told that I would earn my freedom, and $100,000 USD somehow tax free (I'm not cheap) if I wrote the script for Alien 5 and it had to include:

-Ripley 8
-The above encountering Shaw and David.
-The origins of the Alien

I'd be interested to hear if anyone actually wants to see a sequel with Ripley 8? I certainly wouldn't -  But then my unreasonable (but in my world totally reasonable) hatred of A:R is probably clouding my judgement.

Have to say that the "at gunpoint" synopsis sounds pretty good though... IF you had to have Ripley 8 *lol*.

Quote from: DarwinsGirlDoh ! Totally missed it!

I was being *lol*

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed