Shane Black is doing a SEQUEL!

Started by Lemonade, Jun 25, 2014, 10:17:16 PM

Author
Shane Black is doing a SEQUEL! (Read 191,179 times)

overthere

overthere

I'm not just worried about the casting. I saw The Nice Guys recently and while it's decent, it feels like Shane is always making the same movie. I wonder how his style will work in a Predator movie.

Just a slight worrying feeling as we're closing more news and actual shooting.

Johnny Handsome

Just a little snippet of an inteview with Black i havent seen before:

Quote"On Predator I have essentially signed the papers. I'm all in. Fox agreed that this Predator should have that degree of... premeditation, in a way, and attention to detail, and to some extent a bigger budget. Not stratospheric, but we have the ability to make a Predator movie that hopefully, if I've done my job, will reinvigorate the idea, make it mysterious again.

"There was a subsection of people who were saying, 'Make a movie about the Predator world!' But do you really want to see a Predator hit the alarm clock with the funny digital lettering, and go and eat his flayed Venusian for breakfast? I thought that to keep it on Earth and with this frightened, helpless, we're-just-humans-in-a-big-universe point of view is probably the way to go. Look how Ridley presented the alien in that first movie. Everything about it was terrifying and mysterious."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2016/06/03/shane-black-the-lethal-weapon-writer-on-his-explosive-rise-and-s/

I heard Black say that a lot lately "It's not going to be huge/It doesn't have to be huge", so obviously it's not going to be another Iron Man 3 in terms of scale, but i think FOX will go the Deadpool route with a 60 - 70 million Budget (at max), which would be a significant uprise from the usual 35 - 38 million Sequels anyway and probably be enough for it to feel like an "even picture".

Lets see it how it is, were still talking about Predator here, and while the fanbase is solid, it's not huge enough to justify Marvel-movie like Budgets, which some are expecting.

overthere

overthere

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Aug 03, 2016, 01:36:42 PM

Lets see it how it is, were still talking about Predator here, and while the fanbase is solid, it's not huge enough to justify Marvel-movie like Budgets, which some are expecting.

Shane's right about Predator's home world. It just can't be done without ruining the mystery.

You're right about the fanbase, but if he manages to get Ben Affleck or some other big name and this movie turns out great, it could draw new fans and be huge. Predator movies are not that different from superhero movies, it has potential to be huge, if done right.

Predator is a household name. Everyone knows about it, but not enough people care. This movie could change that.

BishopShouldGo

You're exactly right, Overthere. Even casting someone like Christian Bale will bring in non-genre fans. Because it's no longer just a Predator movie, but a Christian Bale movie. Heck right now it's more than just a Predator movie. It's a Shane Black movie.

In the way that Predators COULDN'T be a "Nimrod Antal" movie because he's not known or an auteur.

Johnny Handsome

I understand what you guys are saying, but the name Shane Black doesn't get asses into seats, look at "The Nice Guys".

Bale already passed, so did Tom Hardy... and Affleck... and Bradley Cooper... you see? The brand has lost it's lustre for many people so right now the job is to regain some interest, that's why Fox is probably a little cautious... optimistic yes, but still cautious, and rightly so, if you look at the past numbers, which is what every company in every business does.

But we get a bigger budget anyway, which is good, but don't hold your breath is all i say.

BishopShouldGo

BishopShouldGo

I don't mean getting asses into seats. I mean getting actors who put asses in seats, who want to work with Black.

Affleck has tons of Batman duties. Hardy has Dunkirk. Cooper is gearing up to direct a movie.

The movie simply can't afford to go forward without a big name. Outside of Cavill, I'm even hearing rumblings of Dwayne Johnson(obvious), Downey Jr., and Wahlberg. Johnson and Wahlberg would be awful choices to me. They're so B-Movie to me for some reason.

If it is good enough for Black, then it's good enough for just about any actor.

Ok. Now I'm hearing the actor announcement will be within the next 10 days. Here's hoping.

Xan21

Xan21

You're hearing a lot aren't you.. and it's all BS.

BishopShouldGo

Ooooh, ok.

DUB1

DUB1

Quote from: overthere on Aug 03, 2016, 11:40:09 AM
For the first time since the movie was announced, I'm getting worried that it may not turn out to be a good Predator movie. Never considered that possibility before, but I'm worried when we get the cast announced we'll all go "wtf!?"

Better that than to go "Yawn" which is would be my reaction if Vin Diesel or the Rock were cast in the leading role.

overthere

overthere

Well I guess I can make it a priority now to survive at least until April 2018.

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Aug 03, 2016, 03:43:21 PM
Ok. Now I'm hearing the actor announcement will be within the next 10 days. Here's hoping.

I have a feeling they cast Henry Cavill or someone else from Justice League. That wraps filming end of September so i think it's Cavill they are waiting for. Shane seems to be after Superhero actors (Bale/Affleck/Hardy), and i wouldn't be surprised at all if they announce Cavill in a couple of weeks.

I would be OK with this, really liked him in U.N.C.L.E and the guy certainly has a strong physical presence.

overthere

overthere

I wouldn't mind Cavill at all. Keep in mind his limited facial expressions are probably a part of Zack's vision of Superman. It's not like the guy can't laugh at all or show emotion other than constipation.

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Aug 04, 2016, 08:46:48 AM

I have a feeling they cast Henry Cavill or someone else from Justice League. That wraps filming end of September so i think it's Cavill they are waiting for. Shane seems to be after Superhero actors (Bale/Affleck/Hardy), and i wouldn't be surprised at all if they announce Cavill in a couple of weeks.

I would be OK with this, really liked him in U.N.C.L.E and the guy certainly has a strong physical presence.

Cavill has been the rumor. And he has nothing else lined up so it'll probably be him. Fox wants fresh blood to prepare for a trilogy and Shane wants old Hollywood stars. People who have tested for roles are: Zac Efron, Liam Hemsworth, the dude from the latest Tarzan.

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Aug 04, 2016, 01:46:43 PM
Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Aug 04, 2016, 08:46:48 AM

People who have tested for roles are: Zac Efron, Liam Hemsworth, the dude from the latest Tarzan.
And you know this from... ?

BishopShouldGo

An acquaintance from Fox.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed