Shane Black To Write and Direct Predator Reboot!

Started by 85, Jun 24, 2014, 07:34:28 PM

Author
Shane Black To Write and Direct Predator Reboot! (Read 89,928 times)

DoomRulz

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 03, 2014, 12:39:23 PM
Tradition is one ugly motherf*cker.

Clever girl...

Blacklabel

Quote from: Russ on Jul 03, 2014, 07:42:23 AM
Beware Prometheus.

Ridley is a good visual director but he cant write or create a "story" worth shit. He aint no writer.

Shane is. This is a different case.

Magegg

Quote from: Blacklabel on Jul 03, 2014, 02:45:05 PM
Beware Prometheus.

Ridley is a good visual director but he cant write or create a "story" worth shit. He aint no writer.
That's irrelevant since he didn't write Prometheus.

Blacklabel

Nope. Ridley "guided" the writing process, pretty much dictating to Lindelof and Spaihts what to do.

A lot of the ideas in the film are his.

That's probably why it's such a mess.

DoomRulz

Quote from: Blacklabel on Jul 03, 2014, 02:45:05 PM
Beware Prometheus.

Shane is. This is a different case.

I read "Beware Prometheus" as more of a, watch out Prommy, this film will knock you off your perch-type thing.

Magegg

Quote from: Blacklabel on Jul 03, 2014, 04:14:42 PMA lot of the ideas in the film are his.

Nah. I believe Ridley's ideas were the good part of the film. The rest, those weird clues that went nowhere, must be a Lindelof thing. After all, he was the one who wrote Lost.

Blacklabel

Nah. Lindelof warned Ridley to avoid LOST style mysteries. He said as much in interviews once the film came out.

It was Ridley's call to avoid giving "answers" in the film. 

Magegg

Quote from: Blacklabel on Jul 03, 2014, 04:27:39 PMNah. Lindelof warned Ridley to avoid LOST style mysteries. He said as much in interviews once the film came out.
He lied.

Quote from: Blacklabel on Jul 03, 2014, 04:27:39 PMIt was Ridley's call to avoid giving "answers" in the film.
Probably about the film's message and mystery (why did the Engineers tried to kill humans?), not how the black goo worked and that.

HuDaFuK

SM

Quote from: Blacklabel on Jul 03, 2014, 04:14:42 PM
Nope. Ridley "guided" the writing process, pretty much dictating to Lindelof and Spaihts what to do.

A lot of the ideas in the film are his.

So not really any different to how he usually works.

Russ

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jul 03, 2014, 04:16:18 PM
I read "Beware Prometheus" as more of a, watch out Prommy, this film will knock you off your perch-type thing.

And you'd be right. I should have put more context there. What I mean is, this movie probably won't have the budget and certainly not the fanfare - Prometheus was supposed to be The Next Big Thing in the franchise. Yes it made loads of cash (so job done) but I believe that many of the fancore didn't like it.

I have to say, I was underwhelmed[/i] to be honest. I didn't hate it, I'd certainly watch it again and I really must listen to all the commentaries.

On the other hand, I really think Shane Black and co will deliver - as has been noted, he's smart enough to put in enough fan-nods, but won't go Ex2 over the top with it (I think anyway).

SM

QuoteYes it made loads of cash (so job done) but I believe that many of the fancore didn't like it.

The main thing, however, is that critics and audiences generally did.

Russ

Quote from: SM on Jul 04, 2014, 09:59:58 AM
QuoteYes it made loads of cash (so job done) but I believe that many of the fancore didn't like it.

The main thing, however, is that critics and audiences generally did.

Is it a classic though? Will it have the same resonance in 20 or 30 years as either original franchise does today. And also, don't you find sometimes that critical acclaim can be weighted by wanting. I remember that Empire gave The Phantom Menace five stars -- because it was the new Star Wars. Everyone wanted this to be a landmark film - and I don't think it hit those heights.

I guess the jury's out till the trilogy (is it going to be a trilogy?) is done. As I say, I thought it was OK. I wonder if it becomes more nuanced the more you see it? For me, it seems (at this time) to lack the stickability of the original films or any of the Predator movies.

I suppose it's a bit unfair to judge it on those terms - but... my gut feel (and that's all it is and can be at this stage) is that Predator 2:0 or whatever its going to be called will hit all the spots.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Russ on Jul 04, 2014, 10:15:35 AMIs it a classic though?

Not if you ask me. But ultimately the studio only cares about the bottom line.

SM

QuoteIs it a classic though?

Did someone claim it was?

QuoteWill it have the same resonance in 20 or 30 years as either original franchise does today.

Alien and Aliens resonate.  The others, not so much.  Prometheus is effectively part of the franchise, and from the amount of discussion after the film was released, it certainly wasn't easily forgotten for good or ill.

QuoteAs I say, I thought it was OK. I wonder if it becomes more nuanced the more you see it?

I find it more interesting - but the flaws are also amplified on repeat viewings.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed