How Scary is Alien Isolation? [IGN Gameplay Footate]

Started by aliens13, Apr 26, 2014, 01:40:57 AM

Author
How Scary is Alien Isolation? [IGN Gameplay Footate] (Read 35,699 times)

Vrastal

Oh man that was so awesome, i got a bit nervous watching. I think this is going to be amazing. I cant wait to be terrified

NickisSmart

Quote from: SM on Apr 26, 2014, 05:12:44 AM
Quote from: Ferazel on Apr 26, 2014, 04:16:36 AM
I think graphically it looks amazing. Exactly what I wanted from an Alien game. The low-fi 70s feel is nailed exactly. From a gameplay perspective is where things start to fall apart. I compare this demo to the other footage and see a lot of scripted sequences and Alien placement. I hope that there isn't a 100% chance of evading aliens in lockers, and even if you hold your breath you could just get unlucky and die. That is the real fear... not knowing if you're going to be spotted or not.

However, it appears that the Alien will always appear at the airlock door and stand there waiting for you. It appears that there is maybe 5 minutes of actually unscripted Alien behavior that they tout around so much. Not really all that impressive.

I can hope that they'll make improvements and variety to the game, but honestly we're talking about a couple months before they need to go into gold master for manufacturing reasons. Not to mention that we have seen NOTHING of the non-alien parts of the game. Is it just going to be evading alien for 8 hours? Or what is the other obstacles mechanics in the game. They spoke of a crafting system, but without any solid details or gameplay footage.

I'm worried, it's obvious a LOT of love has been put into the look, but without the gameplay to back it up, it'll just get boring fast (see Outlast).

Pretty sure everything we've seen so far is a self contained demo.

Based on the interviews with the devs and the podcasts, this is most certainly the case. The "gameplay" seen in the demo will not be in the final game as seen, here. Another thing people need to realize is that this demo is going on three months old. If you've been following the game, the interviews, and recollections from people who played the demo at EGX Rezzed or other conventions, there's nothing new here except some footage. Again, the footage, but not the contents of the footage. It looks grand, but it's mostly placeholder stuff. The level is microscopic, there are scripted events -- too many compared to the finalized, randomized behavior of the completed AI -- and the mission events are likely to be different, as well. The point of the demo is to give us an idea of what the game will look and sound like, but how it will play? Assuming any of this survives in the months ahead, what we're seeing here is a bare bones, first impression, I'd gather.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: NickisSmart on Apr 28, 2014, 09:42:42 AM
Based on the interviews with the devs and the podcasts, this is most certainly the case. The "gameplay" seen in the demo will not be in the final game as seen, here. Another thing people need to realize is that this demo is going on three months old. If you've been following the game, the interviews, and recollections from people who played the demo at EGX Rezzed or other conventions, there's nothing new here except some footage. Again, the footage, but not the contents of the footage. It looks grand, but it's mostly placeholder stuff. The level is microscopic, there are scripted events -- too many compared to the finalized, randomized behavior of the completed AI -- and the mission events are likely to be different, as well. The point of the demo is to give us an idea of what the game will look and sound like, but how it will play? Assuming any of this survives in the months ahead, what we're seeing here is a bare bones, first impression, I'd gather.

So just like that "infamous" E3 ACM demo then?

PRI. HUDSON

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Apr 28, 2014, 01:21:22 PM
Quote from: NickisSmart on Apr 28, 2014, 09:42:42 AM

So just like that "infamous" E3 ACM demo then?

We do not speak of the ACM demo!

NickisSmart

@Eighth: I'd love to say no, but essentially there's no way to refute that claim until something more concrete comes along.

That being said, the quality of work in this demo is amazing. Very authentic. I wish I could say that it blows the A:CM demo out of the water but I'm not familiar enough with it to make a comparison. I do remember feeling excited because the A:CM demo looked very authentic. Perhaps in the same vein as A:I.

In regards to A:I, I will say that the visuals make me feel optimistic. I mean, what's not to feel optimistic about having complete access to the FOX Studio vaults. making the game "sets" to scale with the Nostromo blueprints, and using Ron Cobb's work as a sort of bible? Aliens games have always had pulse rifles and smart guns and nods to the James Cameron movie. CA, however, has taken this to a whole new level. So much detail. Hell, music-wise, they even had some of the original studio musicians that played for Jerry back in the day work on the music, here! Not to mention, they've recorded over 200 minutes of music for the game. This is clearly a labor of love by these guys and they're doing everything that they can to bring the Alien universe to life, and back to its old level of respectability pre-A:CM. I don't really recall the same level of artistic pedigree involved in A:CM as is on A:I. These guys clearly love Alien more than Aliens, and as sad as it may sound, that's enough to bolster my faith in this project; if they wanted to make some quick cash, they'd just make a shooter with some guns and a shitload of aliens, but instead, they're making a very specific kind of game that appeals to a specific audience. This isn't some quick, cheaply made game. It's high quality shit.

I just wish the demo were more up-to-date.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

QuoteIn regards to Aliens Colonial Marines, I will say that the E3 Demo visuals make me feel optimistic. I mean, what's not to feel optimistic about Gearbox having complete access to the FOX Studio vaults. making the game "sets" to scale with the Sulaco and Hadley's Hope blueprints, and using Ron Cobb's work as a sort of bible? And even getting Syd Mead to flesh out the new areas of the Sulaco. Aliens games have always had pulse rifles and smart guns and nods to the James Cameron movie. Gearbox, however, has taken this to a whole new level. So much detail. Hell, audio-wise, they even had some of the original "Aliens" actors that played the colonial marines record the voices! Not to mention, acclaimed composer Kevin Riepl recording over 200 minutes of music for the game. This is clearly a labor of love by these guys and they're doing everything that they can to bring the Aliens universe to life, and back to its old level of respectability pre-AVP 2010. I don't really recall the same level of artistic pedigree involved in AVP 2010 as is on A:CM. These guys clearly love Aliens. At $60 million and six years in development this isn't some quick, cheaply made game. It's high quality shit.

You see Nick, by slightly editing your post above almost the same could have been said of ACM pre-release. Not trying to be negative just trying to keep a level head despite this overwhelming feeling of déjà vu.

That said, CA do seem to be taking this game a little bit more seriously and I get the impression that they are more focused on the game and less on hype. Cautiously optimistic for this but I guess time will tell...

NickisSmart

Yeah, you're right. It's simply too early to make anything more than a optimistic prediction. There just seems to be an overwhelming amount of respect for the source material, here, and that gives me more hope than anything else. Alien fans tend to be pretty hardcore I think, so maybe it's par for the course...

Not much to go on, and a couple of things bug me, like the alternations in the alien design, but beggars can't be choosers. I'd be fairly surprised if this game sucked as much as A:CM. People'd shit bricks.

WinterActual

So the game is about running from one cutscene to another, trying to avoid the cone vision of the xeno rofl..

NickisSmart

No, the alien doesn't have "cone vision." This isn't MGS. Its AI functions off senses, such sight, smell, and hearing. There are no set pattens and it does reveal its patterns to the player, only its intent.

WinterActual

So the xeno can't smell or sense the player behind the locker door or under the table  ::)

NickisSmart

For starters, the demo AI has been modified. In short, it's easier than the final product will be. I don't know specifics. However, the Alien can spot you inside a locker and under tables. It's just not shown in the IGN footage... I've read several accounts of people who had access to the demo who were literally torn out of the locker because they made too much sound while hiding. If you use the lean function to look around an object your hiding behind, the Alien can spot you, and this has been confirmed by demo players, as well.

The IGN footage is terrible in certain aspects because it barely shows any interaction with the creature and is edited to make the game look very straightforward. The thing you have to realize is that all of the people probably died at least once or twice. For the sake of brevity most of that was obviously left out. For demonstrational purposes in regards to the creature and its capabilities, the IGN footage is absolutely terrible.

piff

Im I the only one that thinks this game is lacking action and looks extremely boring?

Its like a real bad horror flick, where the only real "scary" parts are when something stupid pops out and temporary scares...those easily scared...

Kimarhi

You want a, "COME AT ME BRO!" game amirite?

thecaffeinatedone

thecaffeinatedone

Still skeptical. I don't trust these kinds of reviews...too much hype, too wary from Aliens: Colonial Marines. Definitely not pre-ordering.

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Apr 28, 2014, 02:05:04 PM
Never forget!  :D

http://www.abload.de/img/colonial6e1jjp.gif

Quoted for Truth.  ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed