How Scary is Alien Isolation? [IGN Gameplay Footate]

Started by aliens13, Apr 26, 2014, 01:40:57 AM

Author
How Scary is Alien Isolation? [IGN Gameplay Footate] (Read 36,071 times)

PsyKore

It looks great, but I'm not seeing this advanced AI they've talked about. The Alien actually seemed kinda dumb at times, tbh. It doesn't look any more advanced AI-wise from games like Amnesia or Outlast.

Still, I look forward to the game, it still looks like fun regardless.

newbeing

Quote from: PsyKore on Apr 26, 2014, 12:31:26 PM
It looks great, but I'm not seeing this advanced AI they've talked about. The Alien actually seemed kinda dumb at times, tbh. It doesn't look any more advanced AI-wise from games like Amnesia or Outlast.

Still, I look forward to the game, it still looks like fun regardless.

There were a few times where it seemed like it's range of vision was severely lacking, but I'll chock that up to it either being toned down for the demo or because it's pre-alpha.

SM

I think Hicks said on the Isolation pod, that CA had dumbed it down a bit?

Shevvie

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 26, 2014, 09:27:16 AM
Bastards. I wanted to do something like this when the game came out.  :P But genius marketting ploy. Hats off to them.

Some lovely new footage. Editing was a bit shaky IMHO. They made the game look far too linear, like all those encounters happen at the same times. That's not the case.

I'll back that up. That video isn't a true representation of what that level plays like at all. There are only 2 scripted events for the Alien in that demo.  The first is the Aliens reveal and it doesn't just appear at the airlock door it moves down either of the 2 corridors where ever it was hunting before hand.

I've heard of people being torn out of lockers and killed as well. Anyway me and Hicks can both tell you that our experience with this demo differed a lot when it came to how the Alien behaved.

That tail kill by the way! You could just see its shadow on the wall behind as she dropped to her knees.  Awesome.

newbeing

Quote from: SM on Apr 26, 2014, 12:41:18 PM
I think Hicks said on the Isolation pod, that CA had dumbed it down a bit?

Ah yes thank you, I think that's where I heard it from..

One thing that does bother me about the demo is the health and flashlight battery meter on the bottom left. I believe we haven't seen it in any of the other B-roll footage or gameplay footage. I guess I can see why it's there, but weren't they going for a full no hud experience?

elmen

Wow!! Awesome.
It looks great  ;D

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 26, 2014, 09:27:16 AMThey made the game look far too linear, like all those encounters happen at the same times. That's not the case.

An important distinction! Thank you for mentioning that (and to Shevvie for added detail). :)

Seegson

Look solid. Awesome atmosphere (great graphic and sound work). The alien its impressive. Good work CA.
Anyway, im waiting for a more "extended" show of the alien's behaviour. Im pretty sure its gonna be good...but i want it to be a real challenge

gabgrave

I laughed at the part in the end "YES yes I'm free......Oh."  ;D
Love the way the environment and ambiance feels. It's really looks like interacting through the Alien movie.
But I noticed some transition lag when the Alien is changing behaviors, such as when it's walking past the lockers and then turning to investigate it (and you). Hopefully it's something that will get smoothen out in the release version of the game.

Seegson

Quote from: gabgrave on Apr 26, 2014, 05:59:53 PM
I laughed at the part in the end "YES yes I'm free......Oh."  ;D
Love the way the environment and ambiance feels. It's really looks like interacting through the Alien movie.
But I noticed some transition lag when the Alien is changing behaviors, such as when it's walking past the lockers and then turning to investigate it (and you). Hopefully it's something that will get smoothen out in the release version of the game.

Yeah, i noticed that too. There is some kind of lag when a scripted even comes in play, like the airlock door closing. Smooth transitions between animations makes the alien more real, but if you are looking for a non scripted behaviour it can be real difficult!!

SpreadEagleBeagle

Looks so amazing, I can't wait! I hope they're not messing up the game in the end stages now because this is THE Alien game I always wanted. It's fair to say that I'm euphorically excited!  :'( <---tears of joy!

P1NK8C1DBOOTS

CAN NOT WAIT FOR THIS GAME!!! Looks incredible - the graphics - the gameplay - the tension it all look promising! Although we have only see the same area of gameplay - it be interesting to see what other areas of the game look like!

Xenomorphine

Very nice lighting and gas visual effects.

Still don't like the way the Alien is being portrayed as growling and grunting, however. They only did that in 'Alien Resurrection' to reflect how they're partially human and it lessened their impact in that for similar reasons.

Does seem odd that it's unable to see you unless you're in front of it. Technically, Parker would have had it easy, if that had been so. :)

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Apr 27, 2014, 01:17:06 AM
Very nice lighting and gas visual effects.

Still don't like the way the Alien is being portrayed as growling and grunting, however. They only did that in 'Alien Resurrection' to reflect how they're partially human and it lessened their impact in that for similar reasons.

Does seem odd that it's unable to see you unless you're in front of it. Technically, Parker would have had it easy, if that had been so. :)

It already knew where Parker was when it crept up on Lambert, and going by Alien 3 this is nothing new.

I do agree with you about  the grunting but apparently it's a gameplay mechanic, you can tell what it's thinking from certain noises.

SM

They can hear.

Just not beeping trackers.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed