How Scary is Alien Isolation? [IGN Gameplay Footate]

Started by aliens13, Apr 26, 2014, 01:40:57 AM

Author
How Scary is Alien Isolation? [IGN Gameplay Footate] (Read 35,638 times)

MrSpaceJockey

Amanda's wearing a headset connected to the tracker.

SM

An Alien would be able to hear that.  But at least having it via headset is better than "Alien can't hear beeping just 'cos".

Xenomorphine

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Apr 27, 2014, 05:26:00 AM

Ahhh... I like that better. I can believe by that time headsets might direct sound directly into the ear and avoid audio 'spillage', if I need to fan-wank it.

Shevvie

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Apr 27, 2014, 11:24:10 AM

Ahhh... I like that better. I can believe by that time headsets might direct sound directly into the ear and avoid audio 'spillage', if I need to fan-wank it.

But because it's grounded in the 70's they actually don't have that technology yet. Getting fairly close these days though. What were headsets like anyway in that period?  Being an 80's kid we had tthe adjustable earmuff design that was held together by a piece of thin tempered metal to make it stick on you're head. Those cassette days... Lol.

MrSpaceJockey

Quote from: Shevvie on Apr 27, 2014, 12:40:19 PM
But because it's grounded in the 70's they actually don't have that technology yet. Getting fairly close these days though. What were headsets like anyway in that period?  Being an 80's kid we had tthe adjustable earmuff design that was held together by a piece of thin tempered metal to make it stick on you're head. Those cassette days... Lol.

The notion of "low fi sci-fi" and using elements from 1970's technology is an aesthetic choice, not extending to the function of an object.

Otherwise, there shouldn't be any gravity generators, plasma torches, or motion trackers either.

I think you can see how her headset looks here, looking pretty similar to the ones the Nostromo crew used (like in the scene Dallas dies in the vents):

p1nk81cd

Looks beautiful and utterly terrifying, but the Alien sounds like a Predator. What happened to that piercing microphone-like screech -ripped straight from the movie- that they used before?

MrSpaceJockey

Well they can't have the same sound every time you get killed.  And we only saw 2 death scenes in this demo.  Microphone screech probably still in there.

p1nk81cd

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Apr 27, 2014, 05:55:03 PM
Well they can't have the same sound every time you get killed.  And we only saw 2 death scenes in this demo.  Microphone screech probably still in there.

It would become stale with the same sound each death, but the ones heard here are terrible.

Throw in a ALIENS rising 'haaaaaaah'  hiss, or an Alien³ banshee shriek.

Hell, I'd kill to hear that scream it makes when Ripley steams it out of its little nook in the wall- it sounds like Freddy Krueger running his blades across some glass.

SizzyBubbles

As much as i like the Alien being pretty unforgiving if its spots you... i really hope they haven't made it ridiculously hard to hide or even escape it. I've played some really good indy survival horror games that where nearly ruined for me cuz the enemies are sooooo hard to avoid.. I like a challenge as long as its not near impossible.
thats my only worry really.

I love how the alien toodles around like a vintage t.rex :D

Atmosphere looks good too. Hopefully the 'jump scares' are kept to a minimum.

shakermakerman

Not impressed with da gansta helpa on the radio..

Kimarhi

Quote from: shakermakerman on Apr 27, 2014, 07:23:12 PM

He doesn't sound gangsta to me.  Just a dude with a different accent.........nigga u racist.

Gate

Quote from: Kimarhi on Apr 27, 2014, 07:51:12 PM
Quote from: shakermakerman on Apr 27, 2014, 07:23:12 PM

He doesn't sound gangsta to me.  Just a dude with a different accent.........nigga u racist.

Alien1

The story and gameplay look awesome.  I dont care about graphics or how the Alien looks or sounds.  Its all about what the game is supposed to be, a survival HORROR game.  Looks scary and suspenseful enough to me.  The people who nit pick every little thing that they think is wrong really annoy me.

SM

Quote from: Shevvie on Apr 27, 2014, 12:40:19 PM
Quote from: Xenomorphine on Apr 27, 2014, 11:24:10 AM

They have in-ear headphones on the Nostromo in 2122.

oberonqa

oberonqa

This is great stuff.  I hope CA releases this demo into the wild so the rest of us can give it a shot.  Considering all the gameplay videos on YouTube, confidentiality is clearly not a priority (nor should it given the tarnished state of the property on the gaming front).

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed