PROMETHEUS 2 Writer, Jack Paglen's TRANCENDENCE in theaters now...

Started by CainsSon, Apr 18, 2014, 07:14:25 AM

Author
PROMETHEUS 2 Writer, Jack Paglen's TRANCENDENCE in theaters now... (Read 5,378 times)

Infected

Quote from: ChrisPachi on May 08, 2014, 03:48:41 PM
Quote from: Infected on May 07, 2014, 12:07:24 PMThe thing that was missing in Prometheus was the story of the engineer and the depth of the race/character.

None of that was missing. The engineers have no story or depth. The Space Jockey was a red-herring. The Alien is arbitrary. Suck it up. :P
So you went to see that movie too watch the survival of Ripley or Shaw? LoL
Its all about the alien and the engineers.

OpenMaw

It's about the human beings facing them.

SM

Lemonade

Yep. Look at Aliens vs. Predator Requiem for a movie that is literally about creatures. Like, Wolf is like the literal star of the movie. Wolf. I can't believe I typed that out. They gave a damn nickname to a creature. Which would be cool I guess if the movie had deeper thematic content, it could perhaps justify itself. But it's not.

Now, look at ALIENS for a movie that is like, about humans. It's the journey of Ellen Ripley. She's no longer the red shirt that survived from the first movie. Here, she has a personality. She has a life. She has likes and dislikes. She gets called mommy by her makeshift daughter towards the film's end. There are monsters in this film, but it is not about the monsters. It is about Ripley.

The number one rule for a good monster movie: don't have it be about the monster. Notice how in Alien or Aliens, there is never a scene in which a creature is present when a human character is not? That's the way it should always be.

SM

QuoteThey gave a damn nickname to a creature. Which would be cool I guess if the movie had deeper thematic content, it could perhaps justify itself. But it's not.

The gave a nickname to the Space Jockey, facehugger, chestburster, Big Chap, Grid, and Scar.

Wolf suited the intent of the character.

Lemonade

Right. But the makers of AvPR were so concerned with minutiae. Homages in the form of music cues, characters, character names, gore, that they forgot to concentrate on a good story. Amazing.

"Look at how much gore we've got in this one! It'll be like back in the good 'ol days!"

Uh, I don't know who the f**k you think you talking to, but Alien really only has one gory sequence, and Aliens would literally be bloodless if not for the chestburst and Ferro's window swipe.

Those two films were nominated for a combined total of 9 Oscars, so uh, they were doing a little more than dumping buckets of blood on latex costumes in a forest, boys.

SM

Alien3 and Resurrection were gorier than the first two, but AvP2 was trying to get back to some of that after the moronically blood free AvP.

Of course they went stupid, but there you go.

acrediblesource

Prometheus NEEDED a story with the engineers? I don't think so. I think we got too much in the movie. I guess you missed the point of the lack of the engineers story. It was not meant to be thorough, hense the mystery. You get an explanation of the jockey (the engineers) then it moved away from that developing even more mystery with the goo.
That's the mystery. Why must we talk this over and over and over again?
It's not Star Wars folks.

Quote from: Infected on May 07, 2014, 12:07:24 PM
The thing that was missing in Prometheus was the story of the engineer and the depth of the race/character.
The thing that made Alien so interesting and mysterious in the beginning was the undefined jockey and ship.
They should have worked that out better in Prometheus, but instead the mystery wasnt there nor was the story about the engineers.
So i hope they move more into that in part 2 but then again you need someone with a vision like Giger to co-operate.
Just heard he will work on a Battlestar reboot, while the last BSG to me was just pure awesomeness.

oduodu

Why can't I find a biography on jack paglen ??

hfeldhaus

He's only dome two films (not including Prometheus 2). Doesn't really warrant a bio if no one knows him.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed