Aliens: Colonial Marines Underrated

Started by Gigers Alien, Apr 03, 2014, 05:58:13 PM

Author
Aliens: Colonial Marines Underrated (Read 21,091 times)

Ash 937

Quote from: PRI. HUDSON on Apr 08, 2014, 02:32:44 PM
Anyone who LIKES this game or thinks it anything more than average has not played many games in their life.

Some people can think it's above average.  It all depends on what games they've played and what their expectations of the game were.  I bought A:CM on the day it was released and promptly returned it before it was opened on account of all the negative press it was receiving by critics.  Spent the next year lowering my expectations and only bought the game when I saw it on sale for $7.99. 

I thought that some of the level designs were cool and my only real criticism with the game was from the storyline and the new aliens that GBX introduced for the game (they're just as cheesy as the dialogue).  I don't think any game needs to have awesome textures to be great.  By those standards, A:CM is more-than-an-okay game for me and completely enjoyable on a certain level.  I've also played games all my life across multiple systems.

PRI. HUDSON

Quote from: Ash 937 on Apr 08, 2014, 05:02:56 PM
Quote from: PRI. HUDSON on Apr 08, 2014, 02:32:44 PM
Anyone who LIKES this game or thinks it anything more than average has not played many games in their life.

Some people can think it's above average.  It all depends on what games they've played and what their expectations of the game were.  I bought A:CM on the day it was released and promptly returned it before it was opened on account of all the negative press it was receiving by critics.  Spent the next year lowering my expectations and only bought the game when I saw it on sale for $7.99. 

I thought that some of the level designs were cool and my only real criticism with the game was from the storyline and the new aliens that GBX introduced for the game (they're just as cheesy as the dialogue).  I don't think any game needs to have awesome textures to be great.  By those standards, A:CM is more-than-an-okay game for me and completely enjoyable on a certain level.  I've also played games all my life across multiple systems.

When 98% of the public says something bad, I tend to ignore the other 2% that support it by saying it's good.

Just saying. This game was a dump. I did my typical achievement hunting and was done with it.

Engineer

The biggest issue with this game that left so many people bitter was the amount of deceit and false-advertising that took place. We were promised something that would be top-of-the-line and instead got something that would have been Top-of-the-line over 10 years ago. The game does still have an enjoyment factor, and some people may enjoy it more than others, but the simple fact is the game did not compare to what was originally advertised. It probably would have been recieved a lot better if gearbox/sega advertised the product accurately rather than deceitfully. People's expectations were so high because of the "in game footage" demo and such... How can you have expectations any lower when the demos we all saw looked so much better than the actual game really was?

Ash 937

Quote from: PRI. HUDSON on Apr 08, 2014, 05:31:50 PM
When 98% of the public says something bad, I tend to ignore the other 2% that support it by saying it's good.

Right.  Well, I tend to seek my own conclusions about things regardless of what other people say.

Quote from: Engineer on Apr 08, 2014, 05:39:23 PM
The biggest issue with this game that left so many people bitter was the amount of deceit and false-advertising that took place.

This, I agree, was the game's greatest deficiency.  Had GBX been more honest about their product, the backlash that A:CM received wouldn't have been so great.

SM

SM

Unfortunately this is making many people suspicious of CA.

PRI. HUDSON

Quote from: Ash 937 on Apr 08, 2014, 06:21:32 PM
Quote from: PRI. HUDSON on Apr 08, 2014, 05:31:50 PM

Right.  Well, I tend to seek my own conclusions about things regardless of what other people say.

Quote from: Engineer on Apr 08, 2014, 05:39:23 PM
The biggest issue with this game that left so many people bitter was the amount of deceit and false-advertising that took place.

This, I agree, was the game's greatest deficiency.  Had GBX been more honest about their product, the backlash that A:CM received wouldn't have been so great.

That's fine, but know you and a couple thousand people out of the million plus who bought this shit game are the only ones who like it.

Quote from: SM on Apr 09, 2014, 06:47:35 AM

What is?

Russ

Russ

Quote from: PRI. HUDSON on Apr 09, 2014, 01:53:24 PM

That's fine, but know you and a couple thousand people out of the million plus who bought this shit game are the only ones who like it.

I'm not sure that's 100% accurate - many people have been vocal about it, but I'm not convinced that everyone bar a few thousand people went onto the internet to say that they were disappointed.

You hate the game, well and good, but you're never going to be right, I'm afraid. It's a subjective experience -- I like it, you don't. Telling me that "everyone else" hates it isn't going to make go "ok, then, I hate it too."

What is?

That a new Alien game is being heralded as the the greatest thing ever prior to its release, but the "million" who hated A:CM are getting twitchy because A:CM looked the nuts - before it came out.

I'm guessing?

PRI. HUDSON

Quote from: Russ on Apr 09, 2014, 02:16:39 PM
Quote from: PRI. HUDSON on Apr 09, 2014, 01:53:24 PM

I'm not sure that's 100% accurate - many people have been vocal about it, but I'm not convinced that everyone bar a few thousand people went onto the internet to say that they were disappointed.

You hate the game, well and good, but you're never going to be right, I'm afraid. It's a subjective experience -- I like it, you don't. Telling me that "everyone else" hates it isn't going to make go "ok, then, I hate it too."

What is?

That a new Alien game is being heralded as the the greatest thing ever prior to its release, but the "million" who hated A:CM are getting twitchy because A:CM looked the nuts - before it came out.

I'm guessing?

I don't know, most seem to be cautiously optimistic about Alien: Isolation. I am as well. Not getting excited until the reviews come in.

And I would LOVE to see a survey of the million jackasses, myself included, who bought ACM and got to rate it on a scale of 1-10. I can almost bet 90% would say 5 or less, easy.

Darth Rinzler

Darth Rinzler

Quote from: Gigers Alien on Apr 03, 2014, 05:58:13 PM
Does anyone else think Aliens: Colonial Marines is a vastly underrated game? Sure, it ended up being almost nothing like the tech demos that were shown (which made me angry) but I still think it does a good job as an Aliens experience.

The game is amazing.  It follows lore very closely from all the mediums that are excepted as canon.  I loved the story and the environment that Winter had to survive traveling through.

One other reason I love this game because it hows both the humans and Aliens at the prime or close to it with no reasons to hold back.

This leads to my point that it also shows how bad ass aliens are, not that the humans weren't they were cool.  Following the lore as well as they did they included the bio-imperative adaptive capabilities. 

This is the sole reason why having a Army of humans who are entrenched and have a effective kill zone with air support will not win most the time if the aliens have adapted.  You end up with aliens like the crusher that has no problem with 20mm Gatling blasting it in the head, you have Ravagers which evolved just for straight forward heavy combat and siege warfare.  Most air support would probably be ineffective against Ravagers.  And their a lot more than are just as heavily armored and designed for heavy combat.

And then theirs the Aliens long range capabilities that the humans, or any advanced alien, would have to worry about.  The many different types of Ranger Alien is one example.  Going by lore in the ACM the Rangers were deployed to deal with a USCM sniper and he was the first victim of this type of alien out of the Marines as well.

To top it off, the Aliens kick the crap out of both human armies on LV_426 although we don't have the numbers for WY mercs we know their were two Marine Battalions sent to LV-426 that is up to 2,000 Marines max and only three and and a android survived.  I am not counting Hicks because he was not part of those Battalions.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Hahahaha Rinzler you're delushional the Aliens only took one hit from shotguns before dying.
Far less battering than in the film, not to mention the obvious breaking of suspension of disbelief with killing 20 odd in the Sulaco alone.

The game is crap as the majority of people have pointed out.

Darth Rinzler

Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on Apr 13, 2014, 07:25:46 PM
Hahahaha Rinzler you're delushional the Aliens only took one hit from shotguns before dying.
Far less battering than in the film, not to mention the obvious breaking of suspension of disbelief with killing 20 odd in the Sulaco alone.

The game is crap as the majority of people have pointed out.

You must not have been paying attention to the cutscenes and the scripted events which are what matters.  The Queen herself took two radar guided missiles to the side which didn't even break her skin.  Like I said just on the USCM side they last two Battalions of Marines.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

So cutscenes are all that matters? What are you a five year old?

Darth Rinzler

Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on Apr 13, 2014, 09:04:20 PM

Cut scenes and scripted events along with writen or spoken lore lore.  Only if certant bits of information cant be obtained through those sources do you ever use game mechanics.

SM

SM

What about the 'lore' it blatantly got wrong?  ie. Everything that was easy to copy from Aliens or Alien3 - but inexplicably wasn't.

Russ

Russ

Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on Apr 13, 2014, 09:04:20 PM

That's a bit out of order - DR makes some good points the scripted elements were important to the game. And, like DR, as I've said more than a few times - I really enjoyed A:CM for all the reasons he points out.

I think that you have to hit the alien in the head with the shotgun to kill with a single shell? Could be wrong, but I know I've had to shoot 'em more than once.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed