Aliens: Colonial Marines Underrated

Started by Gigers Alien, Apr 03, 2014, 05:58:13 PM

Author
Aliens: Colonial Marines Underrated (Read 20,951 times)

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: Kimarhi on Apr 03, 2014, 07:58:04 PM
Its a bad game.

I don't think its as godawful terrible as some people do but its not good or even mediocre imo.

Also no more Hicks, please.

Valaquen

Quote from: Russ on Apr 04, 2014, 02:59:12 PM
Quote from: Valaquen on Apr 04, 2014, 02:32:29 PM

Or the outer skin, being organic tissue, begins to age, just as it rots when damaged in the first Terminator flick.

I know the reason they've cooked up for the aging. But the reason that it was cooked up was to bring Arnie back (like he always said he would be).

Agreed. Bit of a shame, really.

Gigers Alien

I have to agree with Russ. The game has plenty of both bad AND good things, but it just depends on whether or not the player has fun with this game. When I play this game, I personally have a fun experience.

Mr. Sin

Mr. Sin

In my opinion, which counts for nothing really, it was a decent game that was brought down by those who insist on having the most beautiful looking game as well as pristine story. That is just how I feel. Don't misunderstand my post to be a defense, as the game was nothing to write home about but the potential was there regardless of how bad it looked compared to betas.

What really ruined it for myself, at least, was the poor multiplayer support on the PC. I'm a family man, so getting to play games is not exactly on my list of things to do on a regular basis, so you can imagine my disillusion when I manage to get a moment to play the game and cannot even scrounge up one match short of a BUG HUNT mode excursion with a couple of teenagers who dont even enunciate into their microphones let alone work cohesively.

Such potential squandered, some would argue, whereas I simply shake my head knowing full well, the developers were doomed from the start irrespective of one single flaw. This fan base is quite loyal to a certain experience, an experience that no developer can deliver.

I look forward to ALIEN: ISOLATION.

Kimarhi

I disagree with that.

Not hard to get the expeditionary nature of the CMC and have the Marines visit a few different locales with Aliens in it.  I think most people would also argue they DO NOT want a repeat of Aliens in their Aliens game.  You could just rewatch the movie.

AvP2 was Aliens lite but it was still better than everything we've had since.  Varied locations, different scenarios, npc interplay, a competent multiplay. 

Instead the developers now have gotten into trying to replicate the series so much that they haven't released an actual game.  How can we make this game tie into the movies..............I KNOW LETS PUT WEYLAND/HICKS IN IT!!!!

Meanwhile AvP 99 and AvP2 are laughing at the last few incarnations of the Aliens universe for being half the games their predecessors were.

Not going to have a good Aliens style game until developers get off this "everything must be canon," kick and start developing some standalone content.  Quit trying to shoe horn in every possible reference to the movies, your a fan we f**king get it.  Upgrade the gameplay/graphics/mechanics but maintain some of that which made the first two AvPs fun to play.  You were not a tank, you could barely survive a couple of hits from a xeno, but you had weaponry that could turn the other races into mincemeat.  No kung fuing an 8' tall death machine...........still can't get how f**king stupid that was.  Let me as an average guy try to box mike Tyson. 

Get somebody with decent writing chops to write a decent game.

Mr. Sin

Mr. Sin

Quote from: Kimarhi on Apr 04, 2014, 11:02:59 PM
I disagree with that.

Not hard to get the expeditionary nature of the CMC and have the Marines visit a few different locales with Aliens in it.  I think most people would also argue they DO NOT want a repeat of Aliens in their Aliens game.  You could just rewatch the movie.

AvP2 was Aliens lite but it was still better than everything we've had since.  Varied locations, different scenarios, npc interplay, a competent multiplay. 

Instead the developers now have gotten into trying to replicate the series so much that they haven't released an actual game.  How can we make this game tie into the movies..............I KNOW LETS PUT WEYLAND/HICKS IN IT!!!!

Meanwhile AvP 99 and AvP2 are laughing at the last few incarnations of the Aliens universe for being half the games their predecessors were.

Not going to have a good Aliens style game until developers get off this "everything must be canon," kick and start developing some standalone content.  Quit trying to shoe horn in every possible reference to the movies, your a fan we f**king get it.  Upgrade the gameplay/graphics/mechanics but maintain some of that which made the first two AvPs fun to play.  You were not a tank, you could barely survive a couple of hits from a xeno, but you had weaponry that could turn the other races into mincemeat.  No kung fuing an 8' tall death machine...........still can't get how f**king stupid that was.  Let me as an average guy try to box mike Tyson. 

Get somebody with decent writing chops to write a decent game.

I see.

I'm going to have dinner with my wife and son now. Nite.

Russ

Russ

Quote from: Kimarhi on Apr 04, 2014, 11:02:59 PM
I think most people would also argue they DO NOT want a repeat of Aliens in their Aliens game.  You could just rewatch the movie.

I dunno - for me a big fun part of A:CM for me WAS running around Hadley's Hope and the Sulacco. And Bishop's arse, of course.

If there were to be an A:CM 2 (and of course there won't) I'd be inclined to agree though - let's go into the EU do other things, but this really did appeal to the nostalgic part of me.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Naw they could've done it far better, they just prefer shit-ass Borderlands.

Mr. Sin

Mr. Sin

Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on Apr 05, 2014, 11:17:49 AM
Naw they could've done it far better, they just prefer shit-ass Borderlands.

Indeed, Gearbox was already at a disadvantage having spent so much time working on what I, and I suspect you, would consider a very terrible terrible FPS-mockery-of-a-game.

WinterActual

Quote from: Gigers Alien on Apr 03, 2014, 05:58:13 PM
Does anyone else think Aliens: Colonial Marines is a vastly underrated game? Sure, it ended up being almost nothing like the tech demos that were shown (which made me angry) but I still think it does a good job as an Aliens experience.

Its acceptable until you start shooting WY mercs. Then it was fine during the Raven level but still questionable. The Crusher part was laughable at best. The E3 Crusher part was kinda tense and pumping at least. The garage last stand was crap compared to the epic battle with the queen. Failbox promised us that we will have the chance to drive some of the signature vehicles - never happened. They promised modified power loader - never happened. Basically, nothing was what it was supposed to be. Even with all flaws and broken mechanics, many of us accepted the game as it is and tried to play the MP as much as we can but alas Failbox didn't bothered to support that part of the game either. Don't try to fool yourself - the game is BAD. It really is. AvP 1 played in skirmish with friends does a better job as Aliens experience despite its 15 years old game.

Mr. Sin

Mr. Sin

There will always be those who like and or hate a game, movie, book, song, etc..

The beauty of the forum concept, that I am discovering, is that nobody's point of view seems to matter. The only relevant objective is to share our own ideas and try to persuade and or prove why our own posts are correct. Bizarre. I'm a bit glad I don't do the internet thing too often, as it would be abysmal to have to deal with something like this in the real world.

I always try to take a neutral, but honest position on any matter, but what I'm seeing is this strange, almost alpha-author mentality from the vast majority, but not all, posters, to be fair.

Now, I ask this purely in the spirit of learning: what is the attraction to the idea of arguing with strangers, and or debating, etc... I can surely understand the need to debate say, an unfair law, or some sort of social injustice, however, the view of a videogame is hardly a relevant topic, IN MY OPINION, i cant stress that enough. I speak for nobody.

Can you all help me understand? :D

Ash 937

Debates are healthy if they are conducted in a civil manner.  The forum moderators here tend to do a better job with maintaining the discussions better than I've seen on other forums.  But, yes, there are always going to be those who's opinion is distributed with some sort of "matter of fact-ness" even though its not true.  They all remind me of the comic book store clerk from The Simpsons, actually. Haha

Personally, I thought A:CM was a decent experience but I can surely see where those who disliked it were coming from.  I don't understand those that think its an excellent game but, hey, more power to them if they enjoyed it more than me, right? 

It's all opinion...

Mr. Sin

Mr. Sin

Quote from: Ash 937 on Apr 07, 2014, 08:43:38 PM
Debates are healthy if they are conducted in a civil manner.  The forum moderators here tend to do a better job with maintaining the discussions better than I've seen on other forums.  But, yes, there are always going to be those who's opinion is distributed with some sort of "matter of fact-ness" even though its not true.  They all remind me of the comic book store clerk from The Simpsons, actually. Haha

Personally, I thought A:CM was a decent experience but I can surely see where those who disliked it were coming from.  I don't understand those that think its an excellent game but, hey, more power to them if they enjoyed it more than me, right? 

It's all opinion...

Thanks for the reply, Ash! I meant no disrespect to anyone, yet dreaded some sort of retribution for my unfair statement, haha.

Comic-book guy is an excellent allusion. Precisely. :)

Thanks for the edification, I appreciate it.

Engineer

I was very disappointed with the game when it first came out because it was nothing like the "in game footage" demo we were shown a few months before its release. I played the first two campaign missions on release day and stopped playing after that...

... Until about a month ago. I finally picked up the controller again and started playing. I waited so long to start up again primarily because I was hoping for some patches that would fix the terrible AI and graphics (graphics I thought would be a long shot though). When I realized there weren't going to be any new patches released I started up playing again. I have to admit, there were some segments of the game which were truly outstanding! The game had to grow on me a little bit. I loved the raven mission, I loved the derelict ship and the soundtrack at that part, and I loved the introduction of the queen. But there were far more bad segments of the game and issues with the game that I can't overlook which just takes me out of the experience way too much. Stasis interrupted was worse in my opinion due to glitchyness. Playing on ultimate badass (which isn't all that hard) improved the experience for me a lot, but it still wasn't enough. Aside from the over abundance of human-human battles, shotty AI, annoying Friendly-AI, bad graphics, glitchyness, and down right terrible voice acting, the thing that bugs me most is Hicks being alive. I wasn't all that excited about Alien 3 when it first came out, but I appreciate it much more now than I did upon its release. But I think Hicks should have stayed dead; that shows the harsh reality. Not everyone has a glorious death like ripley. If they wanted to bring a character from the films back, it should have been Morse, the only surviving inmate from Alien 3... That would have made more sense to me in my opinion.

I'm definitely looking forward to Alien: Isolation. I hope history won't be repeating itself. I agree that the best alien experience I've had in a video game format has been AVP2; if you haven't played it definitely pick it up. You can find it on steam for $7 or $8 I believe...

PRI. HUDSON

Anyone who LIKES this game or thinks it anything more than average has not played many games in their life.

This was suppose to be a AAA title. When I think AAA, I think Battlefield, GTA, Resident Evil, etc.

ACM was no where near any of the mentioned games in ANY aspect. Graphics, voice acting, AI, designs, etc. You name it, ACM didn't do it. It did not deliver at all.

Isolation has a massive shot at winning fans over. Hope they do it right.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed