AvPG Previews Alien Isolation

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 10, 2014, 06:31:40 PM

Author
AvPG Previews Alien Isolation (Read 47,880 times)

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Quote from: SM on Feb 17, 2014, 10:40:33 AM
QuoteOkay, given that the Hadley's aliens could've gotten to Newt at any point, hypothetically, why didn't they?

Evasion.

Agreed.

This would be the ideal scenario for the game, for me, anyway. There is no real 'hiding' from the Alien, making evasion and delay the key concepts. You most likely can't stop it getting somewhere it really wants to get, and in any space environment (ship or station) you probably don't want to kill it unless you have a very good plan with an EVA suit preferably involved.

The Sulaco in Colonial Marines would've produced a gaping hole the size of a gas station after the first engagement anyway. ;) Such accuracy, so canon.

But to make my post the required RD minimum of 3 semi-paragraphs, I think using the evade/delay/distract theme would allow for some truly interesting and terrifying fun to be had with the Alien's behavior. I'm sure CA won't have the thing mindlessly charge you, so putting in some eerie curiosity, stalking, etc... reminiscent of Jonesy the cat's famous slap down scene in Alien would be so welcome.

SM

SM

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Feb 17, 2014, 02:13:30 PM
Quote from: mythology on Feb 17, 2014, 07:25:39 AMi wonder if the developers will take note of this scene and have their AI alien stop moving sometimes vs the tracker to raise the hairs on the back of the players neck or make them panic like lambert does.

Yep! They've said their tracker tracks motion specifically (unlike Ash's version). So if the Alien is being still... the blip disappears.  :o

Ash's version tracked Dallas moving and standing still, as well as only tracking the Alien when it was moving.

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Bad wording on my part - Ash's tracker certainly tracks motion too, but that isn't what it keys on, as you know.

That said, are you certain it stopped tracking the alien when it stopped moving? All I've got is that Lambert tracked it when it came on the scene, and then we see Dallas's blip by itself for a minute (but are we seeing the whole screen?), and then, "oh god, it's moving right towards you!". I'm gonna have to go look again...

SM

SM

Lambert tells Dallas to hold his position as she loses the Alien's signal.

QuoteBad wording on my part - Ash's tracker certainly tracks motion too, but that isn't what it keys on, as you know.

I don't know what you're saying here.

SiL

SiL

"Micro changes in air density".

SM

SM

Yeah I know - the "micro changes in air density" are what it senses when you set the tracker to find a moving object.

It's a motion tracker - that can also pick up certain objects that are motionless.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: SM on Feb 17, 2014, 11:03:50 PM
Yeah I know - the "micro changes in air density" are what it senses when you set the tracker to find a moving object.

It's a motion tracker - that can also pick up certain objects that are motionless.

Dallas wasn't exactly motionless... He was breathing heavy and whipping his head back and forth looking for signs of the alien. Plus his flame thrower had a flickering flame. Not to mention, the air density would change as the air near the tip of the flame thrower warmed up over time. There's plenty of explanations as to why Dallas still had a signal on the motion tracker even though he stopped moving.

The alien on the other hand, has an exoskeleton which is rigid and it's chest/rib cage would not expand/contract as it was breathing. So it could have dropped off the motion tracker if it stopped moving, and if its body was shielding the tracker from picking up its breath as it exhaled...

... Those are my thoughts anyway...

SM

SM

Assuming it really does have an exoskeleton - it's constantly dribbling - wouldn't that get picked up, if little things like Dallas moving his head get picked up?

Engineer

Engineer

That thought crossed my mind... And well, if the aliens back is turned towards the morion tracker, it's body could have shielded any breath or dribbling. Or maybe it only dribbles when it's mouth is open, and it happened to have its mouth closed. Who knows. It's a possible explanation though.

And I think it's obvious the alien has an exoskeleton. Why wouldn't you think so?

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Since its an Alien just because it looks like an exoskeleton doesn't necessarily mean that it is.

Engineer

Engineer

It's a rigid bone-like structure on the outside of its body rather than inside... Isn't that the definition of 'exoskeleton'?

SM

SM

Aliens have skin and muscle covering parts of (if not all) their skeleton.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: SM on Feb 18, 2014, 01:56:08 AM
Aliens have skin and muscle covering parts of (if not all) their skeleton.

Skin yes, muscle no, more like clock-work apart from the Facehugger.

SM

SM

Where do you wind it up to make the mouth work?

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Energy that it consumes from moisture winds it up.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed