AvPG Previews Alien Isolation

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 10, 2014, 06:31:40 PM

Author
AvPG Previews Alien Isolation (Read 47,882 times)

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I'm not saying they can't, I'm just saying they don't always.

I find the fact a person can hide behind some boxes to avoid the Alien more troublesome myself.

Still looking forward to the game because a game where the only protection from the Alien would be to hide behind steel doors would be boring I just don't think that's how it would be going down on the reals.

SM

SM

QuoteI find the fact a person can hide behind some boxes to avoid the Alien more troublesome myself.

On face value with no other context, yeah that sounds a bit hokey.  I find the fact that the Alien won't hear your tracker merrily beeping away a bit hokey too.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

What other kind of instance is there.  If your behind some boxes and the Alien is on the otherside and that's the mechanics of the game you either buy it or don't. 

I accept it as a game mechanic, I just find the idea lame.

SM

SM

An instance where there's something else diverting the Alien's attention.

Or, assuming it could smell the pants you've just soiled, an instance where there's enough air circulating to make your position difficult to determine - since it already can't see or hear you.

If it's just you, a room, an Alien and some crates I reckon you'd be dead in fairly short order.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Fair point.  I doubt the gameplay mechanics will be that deep.

Hope I'm proved wrong.

Jango1201

Jango1201

Being that CA is designing the game only after Alien, I think that's where logic needs to be placed. Nothing in the first film suggested that the Alien could smell, break through walls etc.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

It certainly had the capacity to track individuals through different areas of the ship.

SM

SM

It could've done that based on sound.  Neither Brett, Dallas, Parker nor Lambert were being especially quiet prior to being taken.

But again, in the game it won't be able to hear your tracker.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Does the tracker actually make noise?  Only gameplay I've seen is it being a kind of target indicator.

But after the first video I've been trying to avoid the spoilers.

SM

SM

mythology

mythology

i was comparing the tracker noise from isolation to the tracker noise from the movie with dallas's scene (link below)

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=937_1325022216

it's not perfect match but it's close enough to the alien's bleep compared to dallas's bleep. also i wonder if the developers will take note of this scene and have their AI alien stop moving sometimes vs the tracker to raise the hairs on the back of the players neck or make them panic like lambert does.

in response to the newt talk, your also leaving out the possibility that the aliens might have known she was there all along but simply ignored her. i don't think meters of steel really matter when they not only punch through doors but also make holes through floors.

what i'm thinking about is how the alien from the first movie didn't really go after ripley after she escaped until she provoked it. if she didn't notice it how long would it have kept to itself before it made its move? maybe same thing for newt.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

This was my thinking and I was kind of basing it on the aliens perceived threat level of prey.  No basis for anything other than a hunch, but I would think a bunch of smelly marines filled with piss and vinegar and automatic weapons that ballsily walked right into the middle of the hive might leave a different impression than scared civilians trying to wait the thing out.

Any human that tried to stand its ground and confront the Alien I feel would be met with the same response (unless perhaps its a single Alien using guerilla tactics on its prey).

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Okay, given that the Hadley's aliens could've gotten to Newt at any point, hypothetically, why didn't they? Was it just dumb luck that she managed to be the last one alive?

I'm going to stick to Cameron's original intention that Newt was able to fit places even the other children couldn't go. Given I don't really feel like getting into a drawn out debate on the layout of a fictional space colony, I'll choose to believe that Newt was able to squeeze into little spaces where the warriors couldn't reach or fit, and short of suiciding themselves to melt.. something above her or jack-hammering the entire section of wall/floor/whatever, they simply left her alone or were too busy getting the rest of the colonists, which were in a far easier location to breach.

This also brings up the Aliens ability to solve problems. Getting into a barricaded building would be a lot easier than reaching a little kid that's stuffed themselves into some nook at the ass end of some vent somewhere, scared out of their minds. A door is an obvious point of travel, so the Aliens bashed it down. The use of acid to gain entry is also implied in Aliens, though we don't see them do this directly. However, this is still basic problem solving. I mean we don't see them ramming their heads through the walls to get somewhere even though they might, eventually, be able to.

Realistically it could be any of these answers. They were too preoccupied, Newt just got lucky, or she actually managed to physically evade them for a time (though obviously this wouldn't work forever due to the need for food.)

Back to the OP, I would prefer it if the player wasn't ever sure how the Alien could sense, so they had to limit all factors and just hope for the best. Light, sound, etc.. There's plenty of evidence that the Alien can hear, at least from the first film.

SM

SM

QuoteOkay, given that the Hadley's aliens could've gotten to Newt at any point, hypothetically, why didn't they?

Evasion.

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: mythology on Feb 17, 2014, 07:25:39 AMi wonder if the developers will take note of this scene and have their AI alien stop moving sometimes vs the tracker to raise the hairs on the back of the players neck or make them panic like lambert does.

Yep! They've said their tracker tracks motion specifically (unlike Ash's version). So if the Alien is being still... the blip disappears.  :o

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed