What If Prometheus 2 Needs a Different Director Than Ridley Scott?

Started by TimmyTurnersDad, Jan 09, 2014, 01:12:12 AM

Author
What If Prometheus 2 Needs a Different Director Than Ridley Scott? (Read 6,595 times)

TimmyTurnersDad

TimmyTurnersDad

Quote from: Highland on Jan 12, 2014, 12:53:37 AM
QuoteEdwards stands out for me personally

He's made a mediocre monster movie and a decent trailer. I'm not sure why he would "stand out". The visuals, sets and design of Prometheus is probably one thing that most people, even the haters, can agree was damn good.

Think back to when we watched the Prometheus trailer, there were guy's blowing loads for weeks.

I guess it depends on how you feel about Monsters, as I actually found it to be a very refreshing film. The film proved, to me at least, that Edwards is capable of coming up with a compelling drama for the human characters in a monster movie, which I feel is something that should be improved on in the next Prometheus film.

Quote from: Infected on Jan 10, 2014, 01:24:00 PM
The way its going, i dont think it matters who directs it because it will all go downhill, the big mystery aka the jockeys are revealed as big humanoids and THAT we did not want.
I kinda get it, that this final movie we got wasnt the way Ridley wanted it to be, its impossible.
I like the movie, but it didnt even once satisfied my curiosity for the jockeys and the other mysteries like the green crystal and the murals.
But if another director goes for it, i would give Fincher a free hand. After seeing Zodiac for the 10th time, i would give it to him, he knows how to keep a long story interesting.

I actually think Fincher would do a terrific job if he were given another shot at the series. However, I doubt he'd personally want to after his ordeal in making Alien 3.

Mr. Clemens

Some of my favourite things about the direction of Prometheus were the little nods to Kubrick here and there, and how the whole film kind of retained an 'olf-timey' sci-fi vibe, even in this day and age (and with this technology). I'm not sure anyone of the newer breed of directors (with the exception of Duncan Jones) would preserve that sort of feeling.

So, Ridley for me.

Wobblyboddle77

I don't think Ridley will direct a Prometheus sequel, he may be attached as a executive producer or a consultant, for script and design advice. Scott has got many other projects up his sleeve such as the blade runner sequel, I would love to see Fincher return but fox would have to give him free reign and I can't see that happening, even with Tom Rothman gone. A budget for the sequel would be smaller than the original and fox love their let's push for a pg13 mentality, which I don't think directors such as Fincher would conform too. I would like to see Christopher Nolan have a shot, but a sequel would need to begin answering the questions raised in Prometheus. We need to see a lot more of the engineers, how they live and their culture etc, are they all aggressive and why do they create life forms, terraform, then wipe a species out. These are all very interesting facets I would love to see explored.

Ultramorph

Quote from: Wobblyboddle77 on Jan 19, 2014, 09:40:53 PM
I would like to see Christopher Nolan have a shot, but a sequel would need to begin answering the questions raised in Prometheus.

GOD.NO.

Nolan and his "everything has to be super dark, depressing, angsty, and super world-ending epic" mentality has already royally screwed DC superhero movies. I want him nowhere near Prometheus/Aliens/anything I hold dear.

I do agree, though, that Scott will probably only have an executive producer/consultant role due to his ambitious schedule the next few years. He's also not getting any younger.

Wobblyboddle77

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jan 19, 2014, 11:10:54 PM
Quote from: Wobblyboddle77 on Jan 19, 2014, 09:40:53 PM
I would like to see Christopher Nolan have a shot, but a sequel would need to begin answering the questions raised in Prometheus.

GOD.NO.

Nolan and his "everything has to be super dark, depressing, angsty, and super world-ending epic" mentality has already royally screwed DC superhero movies. I want him nowhere near Prometheus/Aliens/anything I hold dear.

I do agree, though, that Scott will probably only have an executive producer/consultant role due to his ambitious schedule the next few years. He's also not getting any younger.
That's fair enough I respect your opinion. who would you like to see direct a Prometheus sequel then?

Ultramorph

Preferably Scott, but if he doesn't do it, I'm not sure.

SM

Carl Rinsch was originally slated to do Prometheus when it was still an Alien prequel, but I read a less than stellar review of 47 Ronin on the weekend.

SiL

Only one? That movie's being trashed.

SM

Yeah I just looked it up.

The trailers made me go 'How are big budget films still trying to get away with this shitty standard of CGI?'

SiL

All the money went to Keanu.

JPredator

I dont mind if Ridley comes back to direct but i think the franchise could benefit from a ffresh pair of eyes much in the same way the ALien series did (minus ALien Ressurection).

My short list for directors or prometheus 2/Paradise would be:

- Duncan Jones (Moon, Source Code)
- Joseph Kosinski (Tron Legacy, Oblivion)
- David Twohy (Pitch Black, RIddick) - ALthough i would much rather he direct an AVP film.
- John Hillcoat (THe Road)
- Steven Soderberg (Solaris, Contagion)
- Danny Boyle (Sunshine, 28 Days Later)
- David FIncher (Alien 3)

RobThom

Or alternately, what if ridley scott directs prometheus 2.

Apparently linedof wouldn't be to blame, but how many other ways can the grand old egotist find to ruin things.

szkoki

yes Ridley is the worst choice i guess, he can make a world real yes but nowdays his nose is way up in his ass so wonder on what cost will he direct a sequel with great sets, great actors, great visuals

CainsSon

Quote from: SM on Jan 20, 2014, 01:52:26 AM
Yeah I just looked it up.

The trailers made me go 'How are big budget films still trying to get away with this shitty standard of CGI?'

Its also a flop and it went insanely over-budget. I was also thinking there was a good chance he'd land the gig if RONIN did well...

I think FOX should greenlight an ALIENS TV, after PARADISE. Either that or give BLOMKAMP the chance to do what he would jump at the opp to do and make a final Alien film.

draken161

Quote from: TimmyTurnersDad on Jan 13, 2014, 06:13:04 AM
I actually think Fincher would do a terrific job if he were given another shot at the series. However, I doubt he'd personally want to after his ordeal in making Alien 3.

I'd vote for him too, although a lot of his works are based off of books. Alien 3 was pretty good despite its giant flaws and is still something I love watching. As long as he had been given more room I'm sure he could certainly pull off something fantastic with the series. Granted a bit 'artsy' as his films tend to be. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed