Alien: Sea of Sorrows (Novel 2)

Started by Ultramorph, Dec 28, 2013, 12:56:28 AM

Author
Alien: Sea of Sorrows (Novel 2) (Read 53,324 times)

Thomas

Thomas

Ok what is all this about "letting her go".......

She died at the end of alien3.......

Manchu

Manchu

The Ripleys ... they're like the Belmonts except xenomorph-slayers.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

The interesting thing about this is "bringing back" Ripley/her family is largely a new development with 2 books and a game that haven't even come out yet. It's not like she shows up everywhere in the EU - she's in one comic book story arc/novelization (kinda), and she got literally resurrected in 'Alien Resurrection', and then in the sequel novel to that movie, 'Aliens: Original Sin'.
And yeah you had the option to play as her in some of the movie tie-in games (Alien Trilogy, Aliens arcade game, Alien3 console games, Alien Resurrection for PSX) but that was kind of expected.

I'm not saying bringing Ripley's family into the EU is a good idea (it's not), let alone as heavily as they seem to be intending to with these books and games, but it's also not like it's been done constantly for the last 30 years or something. It *is* something different from what we've been seeing lately, but it's still not *good*. :P

MisterBerserker

Probably one of the less good looking cover considering the fact that this is an Alien book, not an Aliens: Colonial Marines(VG) book.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 03, 2014, 09:32:38 PMThe interesting thing about this is "bringing back" Ripley/her family is largely a new development with 2 books and a game that haven't even come out yet. It's not like she shows up everywhere in the EU - she's in one comic book story arc/novelization (kinda), and she got literally resurrected in 'Alien Resurrection', and then in the sequel novel to that movie, 'Aliens: Original Sin'.
I wasn't necessarily referring to the Alien EU as a whole, or even the Alien EU specifically. It just seems to be a trend recently that rather than come up with new characters, everything seems to be ripping off the established classics, presumably because it's easier and doesn't require as much effort. And it's been happening in the Alien EU a lot lately. We have Hicks in ACM, Ripley in Out of the Shadows and now Ripley Jr. in Sea of Sorrows.

SM

SM

How do we know either book is ripping off anything at this point?

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Ripping off was probably the wrong word. I just hate how it has to be some descendant of Ripley (which, according to the films, she absolutely doesn't have), like they went with that because Ripley already exists and it's a ton easier than putting effort into creating a new character.

It's the same as the first book. It's like they've put Ripley in it just because of the recognition of the name, regardless of the fact the movies pretty much render any events impossible (short of some lame "her memory got wiped" excuse). I'll still read it, but my hopes at them effectively shoehorning it into the narrative of the films (which is what they're claiming) isn't high.

Xenomorphine

"No children. I checked."
- Burke.

Yeah, that whole descendants thing is going to go down really well...

Sgt. Apone

Sgt. Apone

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jan 04, 2014, 05:36:08 PM
"No children. I checked."
- Burke.

Yeah, that whole descendants thing is going to go down really well...

But...but...it's canon! ;D

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jan 04, 2014, 05:36:08 PM"No children. I checked."
- Burke.
Exactly.

Just waiting for someone to claim Weyland-Yutani covered it up.

predxeno

predxeno

I think people are taking the "her descendants" thing too literally; when I read it, I was thinking that it was referring to Ripley's successors (basically people who will take on the mantle as survivors of the Alien and opponents of WY).  I don't think Ripley's ACTUAL descendants will be the stars of this trilogy.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

descendant
/dɪˈsɛnd(ə)nt/
noun
1. a person, plant, or animal that is descended from a particular ancestor.

We aren't taking it too literally at all. That's just what the word means.

SM

SM

QuoteI just hate how it has to be some descendant of Ripley (which, according to the films, she absolutely doesn't have),

Should we take what you say literally?

Because, according to the films, Ripley absolutely has a daughter.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: SM on Jan 04, 2014, 08:23:40 PM
Because, according to the films, Ripley absolutely has a daughter.

Assuming one takes the Directors Cut of the film as canon.. and I for one, do.

But does Amanda Ripley McClaren have any children of her own?

-Rakai'Thwei

SM

SM

If you want to get technical, references to Ripley's maternity leave appear on the inquiry screen in both cuts.  ;D

But no, Amanda has no children.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed