First Alien: Isolation Screenshots

Started by ikarop, Dec 13, 2013, 08:22:23 AM

Author
First Alien: Isolation Screenshots (Read 51,914 times)

UDA

UDA

All we have on Amanda Ripley is a screen shot, and yet you're calling her the next Ripley (from the movies). I mean, how do you draw those conclusions at this early stage, because if you really can, I'll hire you. Sign on bonus and all.

We know nothing about Amanda. And you can't draw those conclusions. End of story. Nice to hear opinions though.

Acid_Reign161

I agree... lets give them the benefit of the doubt; Amanda may prove to be nothing like Ellen :) (Not that it really matters if she is - Ripley was an amazing character)

As for our constructive debates, theories and speculation being "off topic" I apologize, I didn't realize you were hoping for 13 pages worth of "Cool" and "Hope its not like Colonial marines" posts.  ;)

Engineer

Quote from: Its_Auto on Dec 21, 2013, 02:33:41 PM
I agree... lets give them the benefit of the doubt; Amanda may prove to be nothing like Ellen :) (Not that it really matters if she is - Ripley was an amazing character)

As for our constructive debates, theories and speculation being "off topic" I apologize, I didn't realize you were hoping for 13 pages worth of "Cool" and "Hope its not like Colonial marines" posts.  ;)
Lmao

Don't forget "awesome" "nice screen shots" and "sweet! No gearbox!" Lol

JokersWarPig

I'm not giving the Amanda Ripley idea the benefit of the doubt. I think its a terribly stupid idea.

Snark

Snark

For marketing executives, they could care less about what real fans want. They want to attract the casual Sci Fi/Action fan to a new game. "Introducing the untold story of Ellen Ripley's daughter and her quest to find her mother and learn the mystery of the Alien." Regular person says, "Oh boy! I saw that movie a few times. This will be great!" You would have to include a hard core fan of the series to be involved in the production of the game. That's the only way to make it good enough for us.

Engineer

I think the reason why characters are continuously reused, or referenced in this way, is because it's the company's lazy way to make it cannon or validate their efforts.

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: UDA on Dec 21, 2013, 07:57:59 AM
All we have on Amanda Ripley is a screen shot, and yet you're calling her the next Ripley (from the movies). I mean, how do you draw those conclusions at this early stage, because if you really can, I'll hire you. Sign on bonus and all.

We know nothing about Amanda. And you can't draw those conclusions. End of story. Nice to hear opinions though.
It's an ALIEN game. There will be numerous parallels to the film. It stars the main character's daughter. Look at the characteristics that made Weaver's character so admirable: her courage, will power, intelligence, etc. If we don't end up with a Ripley-style character with, basically, a different name (and coincidentally, a blood relation to her), what kind of character would people expect to play? Even Shaw in Prometheus is another Ripley from a previous time in the series. Because that's the kind of female role people come to expect in the franchise. I'm not arguing with you, but I most certainly can draw just those conclusions. I will be pleasantly surprised if it isn't the case.
Quote from: Powerloader on Dec 21, 2013, 07:49:32 AM
Yeah, let's have a marines vs aliens game.  They've never done that before. 

Boo!  No more Ripley clones.  How about Hicks 2.0 instead.  :laugh:
Not even gonna touch that ;)
Quote from: JokersWarPig on Dec 21, 2013, 08:20:44 PM
I'm not giving the Amanda Ripley idea the benefit of the doubt. I think its a terribly stupid idea.
See, I don't truly hate it, but it's another case of missed potential. They could move away from the movie characters, similar to how the comics and books did, and say, "hey, the EU states there's plenty of colonies on other planets and interstellar travel, so why not do a story about one of them." I'd like to know who's actually writing this story, be it CA, SEGA or someone at Fox, just to understand more about why it can't be about something other than Ripley or characters she's met at one point or another.
Quote from: Engineer on Dec 22, 2013, 02:24:33 AM
I think the reason why characters are continuously reused, or referenced in this way, is because it's the company's lazy way to make it cannon or validate their efforts.
Probably. It's always simpler to use something already in existence rather than make up something new. I'm not sure how the canon argument plays into it, since usually only fans care about that and we typically agree on the movies being your "purest" canon and everything else in existence is up to one's discretion.

Quote from: Its_Auto on Dec 21, 2013, 02:33:41 PM
Pool's closed due to lack of new content :P

JokersWarPig

My problem is that it doesn't have to be Amanda. While I prefer playing as a marine in Aliens games I really don't mind playing a regular person in a shitty alien infested situation. I just don't see why they're keeping it "in the family". It makes it seem like the later jaws movies and the Aliens just have it out for the Ripley blood line, which is dumb to me.
Give me a new character that isn't related to the other movies or its characters at all, give me a clean slate.

Jarac

Jarac

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Dec 22, 2013, 09:18:17 AM
My problem is that it doesn't have to be Amanda. While I prefer playing as a marine in Aliens games I really don't mind playing a regular person in a shitty alien infested situation. I just don't see why they're keeping it "in the family". It makes it seem like the later jaws movies and the Aliens just have it out for the Ripley blood line, which is dumb to me.
Give me a new character that isn't related to the other movies or its characters at all, give me a clean slate.

Well, shit. You just reminded me of that damned movie. Jaws: the Revenge's plot was so ludicrous; keeping it in the family was literally what drove it. Now every time I think of Isolation I'll be thinking of Jaws 4 and going, "Dammit, it is the same." We can debate about the comics all day long, but at least they used different characters and in some cases, succeeded greatly.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Jarac on Dec 22, 2013, 06:24:34 PM
Quote from: JokersWarPig on Dec 22, 2013, 09:18:17 AMI just don't see why they're keeping it "in the family". It makes it seem like the later jaws movies and the Aliens just have it out for the Ripley blood line, which is dumb to me.

Well, shit. You just reminded me of that damned movie. Jaws: the Revenge's plot was so ludicrous; keeping it in the family was literally what drove it. Now every time I think of Isolation I'll be thinking of Jaws 4 and going, "Dammit, it is the same."

That movie was certainly painful to watch, but you have to admit it was responsible for two fantastic quotes!:

• "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." -Michael Caine
  • "What shark wouldn't want revenge on the family of the man that killed it?" -Roger Ebert
Let's hope Alien: Isolation can do better. :D

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

I'm not getting the whole Amanda Ripley hate thing thats going on here - we don't know anything about her yet other than she *allegedly* lives a long and happy life (and we only have Burke's word on that). There's lots of potential here. Just because she is named Ripley, we shouldn't automatically assume she is going to be exactly the same as her Mother. I'd like to see her as an unstable character...she lost her Mother at 11, who knows what other baggage she comes with. Maybe we'll get a broken character who becomes something more?... We only ever seem to get one of two types of characters in the games - a generic Ripley-esque character, or a generic marine. The novels and comics aren't much different to be fair.. can hardly badmouth this character before we know her...Had Colonial marines been more successful/delivered, for different gameplay they could have done a 'mayday' expansion showing the events of the Jordan family bringing back the Hugger to Hadley's Hope, the events of normal everyday colonists without marine weapons barricading themselves in operations etc, and the chance to play as Newt, with no weapons and stealth based gameplay, using ducts to avoid xenomorph/areas in which they can't fit etc...would have been different (and a little scary)

jonc2006

Quote from: Its_Auto on Dec 22, 2013, 11:50:33 PM
I'm not getting the whole Amanda Ripley hate thing thats going on here - we don't know anything about her yet other than she *allegedly* lives a long and happy life (and we only have Burke's word on that). There's lots of potential here. Just because she is named Ripley, we shouldn't automatically assume she is going to be exactly the same as her Mother. I'd like to see her as an unstable character...she lost her Mother at 11, who knows what other baggage she comes with. Maybe we'll get a broken character who becomes something more?... We only ever seem to get one of two types of characters in the games - a generic Ripley-esque character, or a generic marine. The novels and comics aren't much different to be fair.. can hardly badmouth this character before we know her...Had Colonial marines been more successful/delivered, for different gameplay they could have done a 'mayday' expansion showing the events of the Jordan family bringing back the Hugger to Hadley's Hope, the events of normal everyday colonists without marine weapons barricading themselves in operations etc, and the chance to play as Newt, with no weapons and stealth based gameplay, using ducts to avoid xenomorph/areas in which they can't fit etc...would have been different (and a little scary)

I think part of the problem, at least for me it is, is that they are expecting us to swallow that both mother AND daughter have chance encounters with the same type of creature. It's like they are trying to establish that Ripley and her kin are like mortal enemies with the xenomorphs and destined to be locked in eternal combat with one another.

Xenoscream

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Dec 22, 2013, 09:18:17 AM
I just don't see why they're keeping it "in the family".

Amanda Ripley is a new character, she is really a blank slate, except for 3 things.

1. She lost her mum at the age of 10
2. She has a very clear motivation for trying to find out what happened to her mum, and thus go looking for the Nostromo / find out about the special order / LV246 setting up for the game's plot
3. She dies an old lady with no kids

You could argue about point 2, but I expect this is the point the story will hinge on, which isn't a bad start for me. Yeah they could have done some random standalone story with a brand new character to randomly stumble across the Alien, but I think the Amanda Ripley angle could start us off with some emotional investment in the character, which again isn't a bad start.

That said, it will need to be done right. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Mr. Clemens

Now that my initial knee-jerk reaction has worn off, I'll concede that it is possible for a gripping, believable, and enjoyable story about Amanda and the Alien to be made...

...I just really have my doubts that video game writers are the ones to pull it off.

I hope I'm wrong! When all is said and done, I just want a scary game, that looks as good as those screenshots, and is as macho-bullshit-free as possible.  :)

Engineer

Quote from: Its_Auto on Dec 22, 2013, 11:50:33 PM

DUDE!! I love the "play as newt on Hadley's hope" dlc idea! That would have been freaking awesome!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed