First Alien: Isolation Screenshots

Started by ikarop, Dec 13, 2013, 08:22:23 AM

Author
First Alien: Isolation Screenshots (Read 51,905 times)

Vepariga

Yes,like you said UDA,its used too often. I think its just too easy to put 'another Ripley that isnt Ripley' in it, for all we know her Daughter would have never known the story and would probably be told that it was just a accident/some cover story. she would have been young at that age possibly even grew up not knowing at all.

You know I think they should have made the character for this game YOU, not some known name or new character with tacked on plot or connection to existing characters,make it that you ARE the character. The experiances are yours. seems every game these days puts you as a character with a face and a story of their own,never letting you feel like its actually you in this situation.

Xenoscream

Quote from: UDA on Dec 18, 2013, 11:06:48 AM
Then, if you subscribe to the Special Order being sent as a transmission, how and where did that come into play? They couldn't communicate with earth, and they didn't try Thedus after the facehugger and adult xenomorph appeared.
How does he find out about the transmission? And why not get something more appropriate that space truckers?
He'd have to calculate the risk of loosing the crew, ship, ore and any potential samples (xeno's) or findings about the source of the distress signal. Sounds to me like he'd have to be insane to take that risk.
And the alien would have wound up in quarantine, so his work would have been spoiled.

Not arguing, but there's alot left to answer.

Hey so not wanting to open a can of worms or derail the thread but thought I should respond to this.

The way I imagined it was the derelict transmission had been picked up before, by some long range scan, a satellite, or hell maybe even another ship that had passed before but didn't wake everyone up. So once the guy knows this, he arranges for the next ship to pass by (Nostromo) to get ASH and also programs the special order into that ship's system as part of the package. 

Now this is space right, so the time and distance involved is huge - it might be the case that he had to plan YEARS in advance in order to move everything into place, or even just to wait for a ship to be on course to be close to the right area, my point being that I don't believe the special order was sent during the evens of the film, but set-up at some time before.

The way I see it during the movie Alien there is absolutely no contact with the outside world beyond the Nostromo picking up the Derelict transmission, that they were way, way out in space.

But of course this is all just speculation on my part, this is just the route of least resistance for my logical mind! Always open to new ideas :-)

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: UDA on Dec 19, 2013, 11:05:17 AM
I'm not saying Isolation is going to be great. I'm saying it's unrealistic to expect another A:CM. If Sega wasn't capable of moving past that, they wouldn't be making another Alien game.

I thought that AVP was fine by the way, with the exception of the rock, paper, scissors thing. It had strong atmosphere, and I thought it captured the best of both worlds in those regards. I'm in the publishing business (Meaning I read everything, all the time) so just about all the stories we see in games are lack-luster to me, so I can't really critique that. I don't know enough about graphics to say if that was good or bad, but I will say I would like to see those graphics pasted over AVP 2. The sounds were fine as well.

Quote from: Vepariga on Dec 19, 2013, 11:03:56 AM
Looks cool but having Ripleys daughter as the main character is dumb to me. how and why would she ever have encountered xenos.

This could have a good or bad effect. Bad in the sense that she's on some adventure to find her mother, which is a technique used way too often, and almost always lacks substance (there's usually no background development, it's just handed to you and you're expected to accept it as is).
Good in the sense that it could allow for character development (Dynamic Characters). Granted Amanda finds out about the link between her mom and the Xeno later on in the game. You can run through all emotions there. Sadness, Despair, Anger. Not having Amanda know about the Xeno's and not being on some quest for her mother from the get go leaves alot of doors open. Granted this a story about Amanda and not Amanda and her new boyfriend or Amanda and her new crew.

Talking about narrative structure on this forum has made me realize more and more just how shitty quality video game stories are. The stories were the first reason I even started playing the damn things. Took me over a decade to realize that...
I think ACM was more gearbox's fault than SEGA's... Don't get me wrong, I think sega is to blame as well, but gearbox are really the ones to drop the ball, and it wasn't the first time either. I heard some pretty aweful things about duke nuke'em forever. So gearbox having nothing to do with this is already a step in the right direction I think, but I'm not familiar with any of the games made by THIS company so I could be way off base. Maybe sega will redeem themselves here... Or maybe not. I guess we'll see.

I agree, the best games ever relating to the franchise were the avp games on PC. I want nothing more than a stand alone alien title with SOME quality though... Lol

Quote from: Xenoscream on Dec 19, 2013, 02:18:45 PM
Quote from: UDA on Dec 18, 2013, 11:06:48 AM
Then, if you subscribe to the Special Order being sent as a transmission, how and where did that come into play? They couldn't communicate with earth, and they didn't try Thedus after the facehugger and adult xenomorph appeared.
How does he find out about the transmission? And why not get something more appropriate that space truckers?
He'd have to calculate the risk of loosing the crew, ship, ore and any potential samples (xeno's) or findings about the source of the distress signal. Sounds to me like he'd have to be insane to take that risk.
And the alien would have wound up in quarantine, so his work would have been spoiled.

Not arguing, but there's alot left to answer.

Hey so not wanting to open a can of worms or derail the thread but thought I should respond to this.

The way I imagined it was the derelict transmission had been picked up before, by some long range scan, a satellite, or hell maybe even another ship that had passed before but didn't wake everyone up. So once the guy knows this, he arranges for the next ship to pass by (Nostromo) to get ASH and also programs the special order into that ship's system as part of the package. 

Now this is space right, so the time and distance involved is huge - it might be the case that he had to plan YEARS in advance in order to move everything into place, or even just to wait for a ship to be on course to be close to the right area, my point being that I don't believe the special order was sent during the evens of the film, but set-up at some time before.

The way I see it during the movie Alien there is absolutely no contact with the outside world beyond the Nostromo picking up the Derelict transmission, that they were way, way out in space.

But of course this is all just speculation on my part, this is just the route of least resistance for my logical mind! Always open to new ideas :-)

I could get on board with this! Sort of a middle ground between the conspiracy angle and coincidence angle. Nonetheless, I still find it scarier to think the nostromo was completely isolated, and not a soul knew about the incident except for the crew onboard.

Jarac

Jarac

Quote from: Vepariga on Dec 19, 2013, 01:02:25 PM
Yes,like you said UDA,its used too often. I think its just too easy to put 'another Ripley that isnt Ripley' in it, for all we know her Daughter would have never known the story and would probably be told that it was just a accident/some cover story. she would have been young at that age possibly even grew up not knowing at all.

You know I think they should have made the character for this game YOU, not some known name or new character with tacked on plot or connection to existing characters,make it that you ARE the character. The experiances are yours. seems every game these days puts you as a character with a face and a story of their own,never letting you feel like its actually you in this situation.

Agreed. FOX/SEGA just needs to learn to let Riley go. Does EVERYTHING have to absolutely be a direct connection to Ripley? 

Mr. Clemens

I don't recall if this was said already in this thread, but apparently CA intended to show some of A:I at E3 this year, but changed their minds because they didn't want any of the stink from A:CM getting on it. That could be encouraging, depending on how you look at it...

Engineer

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Dec 19, 2013, 05:53:13 PM
I don't recall if this was said already in this thread, but apparently CA intended to show some of A:I at E3 this year, but changed their minds because they didn't want any of the stink from A:CM getting on it. That could be encouraging, depending on how you look at it...
Maybe it was just a strategic move... Didn't want to feed us more feces when the taste was still fresh from the last steaming pile of $&!@ we got.

Jarac

Jarac

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Dec 19, 2013, 05:53:13 PM

That soon after A:CM... they would have booed as soon as the trailer started playing. They'll still boo when they show it at the next E3. The sting of Colonial Marines will not go away for a long while.

PRJ_since1990

Let's face it. Until SEGA loses control over the franchise(s), no one will take them seriously.

Jarac

Jarac

Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Dec 20, 2013, 05:49:04 AM
Let's face it. Until SEGA loses control over the franchise(s), no one will take them seriously.

True. I dream of the day that happens. Y'know, as much as I despise EA... I would really like to see Visceral take a swing at an Aliens title. I mean, look at Dead Space (which they admit Alien(s) was one of the inspirations of the series). They are the only ones that I feel have the experience and the resources to start doing the franchise justice. But again... EA.

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: Jarac on Dec 20, 2013, 05:52:25 AM
Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Dec 20, 2013, 05:49:04 AM

True. I dream of the day that happens. Y'know, as much as I despise EA... I would really like to see Visceral take a swing at an Aliens title. I mean, look at Dead Space (which they admit Alien(s) was one of the inspirations of the series). They are the only ones that I feel have the experience and the resources to start doing the franchise justice. But again... EA.
I agree with you Jarac. I would love a Dead Space style Alien game. I would love a Crysis-style Predator game. But again... EA. Anyone but SEGA, please God no more (save the inevitable one at this point).

UDA

UDA

People are ready to move on from A:CM, and ready for a working Alien game. Sega must know that, and they're better off being quick rather than delay to distance themselves from a bad product. When a bad product hits the shelves, companies don't sit with that being the the last thing in the minds of the consumers, they replace it or divert from it. A companies most valuable resource is it's reputation. With reputation you can do just about anything else, raise money, hire more specialized personnel, expand. It's much harder to start with one of the others and then gain reputation, which is often why small businesses fail. You can have an expert, but without money, there's not much you can do with production and advertisement. With money but without reputation, it can be harder to hire more prominent veterans of an industry. So on and so on.

That is what is being shown here on these forums. Nobody trusts them. Sega knows they've got to knock one out of the park and they have to do it quick. News of CA doing an alien game came out quickly after A:CM, which was the right move. Rather than everybody knowing ACM was bad, we are speculating about the outcome of this new game, and that's a much better gamble than letting the bad product hang in our minds without something new to look at.

If Sega screws this one up, then they are in real trouble. Consumers can forgive a mistake, but they typically don't forgive repeats of mistakes.

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: UDA on Dec 20, 2013, 06:15:54 AM
If Sega screws this one up, then they are in real trouble. Consumers can forgive a mistake, but they typically don't forgive repeats of mistakes.
I guess then it matters if consumers, like ourselves, already consider AvP 2010 a mistake. It looked good from the initial trailers and the demo was fun but it didn't really last very long, just like ACM but to a lesser extent. I don't believe this new title will save any face if it's anything less than outstanding.   

UDA

UDA

I also noticed on Wikipedia that it's been called a 'Horror Stealth' Game. I don't remember reading that anywhere else? Does anyone know of anything that backs it up? Or did I just completely miss the boat?

Edit: I think I found the source of that: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/leaked-alien-isolation-screenshots-already-look-better-than-colonial-marines/1100-6416706/

A first person stealth game... I don't know how to feel about that.

Corporal Hicks

It's an interesting move - whilst I'm still very hesitate about the inclusion of Amanda Ripley - the screenshots look nice and I am intrigued by a stealth shooter.

UDA

UDA

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 20, 2013, 08:28:06 AM
It's an interesting move - whilst I'm still very hesitate about the inclusion of Amanda Ripley - the screenshots look nice and I am intrigued by a stealth shooter.

I wonder how heavy on the shooter part, it's already been said that melee would play a large part in the game.

And not picking a fight, I'm asking out of curiosity: What is it about Amanda Ripley that has turned people off? I've written my thoughts about it probably three times on this forum, so I'll spare you repeating myself. The short form is I can see it going either way, Completely dependent on the writing.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed