First Alien: Isolation Screenshots

Started by ikarop, Dec 13, 2013, 08:22:23 AM

Author
First Alien: Isolation Screenshots (Read 52,471 times)

SM

SM

QuoteHowever, I still think ADF made a mistake by saying methane being most prevalent makes lv426 ideal for terraforming.

I don't think ADF does say methane is most prevalent.  I think Van Leuwen says LV-426 is "swimming" in methane, but that simply means there's a lot.

QuoteAlso going back to TITAN (not triton), the high quantities of methane didn't help to heat up that moon either, otherwise methane lakes wouldn't be able to exist (based on the properties of methane, it boils at  -161 °C or -257.8 °F, which is Extremely cold).

I daresay the fact it's 9.6AU from the sun doesn't help either.

QuoteOr maybe the temperature has increased as part of (or as a byproduct of) the terraforming process over the course of 20 years.

Based on Ash's comments and what we see in Aliens, a rise in temperature from terraforming is a given.

Powerloader

Yeah, how about that methane.  :laugh:

Engineer

Quote from: SM on Dec 18, 2013, 05:41:32 AM
QuoteHowever, I still think ADF made a mistake by saying methane being most prevalent makes lv426 ideal for terraforming.

I don't think ADF does say methane is most prevalent.  I think Van Leuwen says LV-426 is "swimming" in methane, but that simply means there's a lot.

QuoteAlso going back to TITAN (not triton), the high quantities of methane didn't help to heat up that moon either, otherwise methane lakes wouldn't be able to exist (based on the properties of methane, it boils at  -161 °C or -257.8 °F, which is Extremely cold).

I daresay the fact it's 9.6AU from the sun doesn't help either.

QuoteOr maybe the temperature has increased as part of (or as a byproduct of) the terraforming process over the course of 20 years.

Based on Ash's comments and what we see in Aliens, a rise in temperature from terraforming is a given.
I don't recall van Leuwen saying that! Does he say that in the book but not the movie?

And yes, absolutely the distance from its host star plays a huge role in that, that's part of the reason I keep comparing to Titan which is also extremely far away from our sun, although I do not know the exact distance off the top of my head.

On another note, I just thought of another problem, which could be explained away with "advanced tech" again... But by terraforming they would be replacing methane with oxygen, right? Well since methane is a highly effective green house gas (again about 10x more effective than CO2) the temperature on lv426 would drop off even more as methane was removed/consumed... I dunno, food for thought I guess.

SM

SM

QuoteI don't recall van Leuwen saying that! Does he say that in the book but not the movie?

Only in the book.

QuoteAnd yes, absolutely the distance from its host star plays a huge role in that, that's part of the reason I keep comparing to Titan which is also extremely far away from our sun, although I do not know the exact distance off the top of my head.

About 9.6AU.  Probably fair to say LV-426 was a bit closer to Z2R.

Xenoscream

Firstly can't confess to having read every word of the thread. I've posted it elsewhere before but there is my 2c on the special order, company involvement.

Ignoring Prometheus.

So let's say some ambitious company manager back on Earth gets a report from one of his underlings of an strange transmission, he looks into it and see it is of alien origin and is warning about some kind of organism. This guy gets excited since Alien life hasn't been discovered before and this is his big break - but only if he manages the situation careful so someone more senior doesn't steal it all.

So he takes a look at the logistics of all the ships in systems close to the transmission source and finds the Nostromo will be passing close by, perfect he thinks, he pulls some strings, calls in some old favours, and gets ASH planted on board before they start that leg of the journey, along with the special order.

Now he waits... and waits... and oh shit, the Nostromo has gone missing and that thing was carrying a LOT of ore. The guy panics and covers his tracks, deletes all records of the transmission and his involvement with the Nostromo. He goes home, lives and a full and happy life and at some point gets his son Carter a cushy position in the company.

For me that is an easy explanation as to why the Nostromo was sent and why no-one looked for Aliens on LV426 for the next 57 years.

UDA

UDA

Quote from: Xenoscream on Dec 18, 2013, 10:18:23 AM
Firstly can't confess to having read every word of the thread. I've posted it elsewhere before but there is my 2c on the special order, company involvement.

Ignoring Prometheus.

So let's say some ambitious company manager back on Earth gets a report from one of his underlings of an strange transmission, he looks into it and see it is of alien origin and is warning about some kind of organism. This guy gets excited since Alien life hasn't been discovered before and this is his big break - but only if he manages the situation careful so someone more senior doesn't steal it all.

So he takes a look at the logistics of all the ships in systems close to the transmission source and finds the Nostromo will be passing close by, perfect he thinks, he pulls some strings, calls in some old favours, and gets ASH planted on board before they start that leg of the journey, along with the special order.

Now he waits... and waits... and oh shit, the Nostromo has gone missing and that thing was carrying a LOT of ore. The guy panics and covers his tracks, deletes all records of the transmission and his involvement with the Nostromo. He goes home, lives and a full and happy life and at some point gets his son Carter a cushy position in the company.

For me that is an easy explanation as to why the Nostromo was sent and why no-one looked for Aliens on LV426 for the next 57 years.

Then, if you subscribe to the Special Order being sent as a transmission, how and where did that come into play? They couldn't communicate with earth, and they didn't try Thedus after the facehugger and adult xenomorph appeared.
How does he find out about the transmission? And why not get something more appropriate that space truckers?
He'd have to calculate the risk of loosing the crew, ship, ore and any potential samples (xeno's) or findings about the source of the distress signal. Sounds to me like he'd have to be insane to take that risk.
And the alien would have wound up in quarantine, so his work would have been spoiled.

Not arguing, but there's alot left to answer.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: SM on Dec 18, 2013, 07:10:08 AM
QuoteI don't recall van Leuwen saying that! Does he say that in the book but not the movie?

Only in the book.

QuoteAnd yes, absolutely the distance from its host star plays a huge role in that, that's part of the reason I keep comparing to Titan which is also extremely far away from our sun, although I do not know the exact distance off the top of my head.

About 9.6AU.  Probably fair to say LV-426 was a bit closer to Z2R.
Well, it would have to be closer.... Zeta 2 (and zeta 1) is abnormally dim for an earth-like main sequence star for it's age (about half as old as our sun based on metallicity, young for universe-standards). Hmm... I know you've put together a detailed star map based on the alien franchise, but have you tried to figure out exactly how many AU lv426 is from its star based on the star's properties and the conditions on the surface of lv426? That would be interesting to try to figure out... But might require some assumptions such as eccentricity of orbit, etc...

Ignoring Prometheus.

No offense man, but I feel like I'm done with this conversation... Lol. I said what I wanted to say about it already, and ultimately everyone is entitled to their own opinion about it...

Cal427eb

How about those screen shots?

SM

SM

Ignoring Prometheus.

More or less sums it up.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Looks cool, but I won't be hype up yet after what happen with ACM. I feel like I can't trust Sega with the franchise anymore.

ShadowPred

Quote from: Hellspawn28 on Dec 18, 2013, 10:47:25 PM
Looks cool, but I won't be hype up yet after what happen with ACM. I feel like I can't trust Sega with the franchise anymore.

Agreed.

I refuse to even be hype, or give this game the benefit of the doubt until after release.

UDA

UDA

Quote from: Hellspawn28 on Dec 18, 2013, 10:47:25 PM

Think of the politics here. They've had one terrible launch with A:CM, do you really think a Corp responsible for millions is going to make the same mistake twice? They probably bought it with a Concentrated contract.

I'm sorry to all of you who were so harmed by A:CM and just can't get behind another aliens game, but business works better than a single mind. They're not going to repeat their mistakes. Get past it.

windebieste

Quote from: UDA on Dec 19, 2013, 07:22:20 AM
Think of the politics here. They've had one terrible launch with A:CM, do you really think a Corp responsible for millions is going to make the same mistake twice?

They're not going to repeat their mistakes.

AvP 2010 was largely a disappointment, too.  So yes.  The mistakes do get repeated - and by their appearance - amplified as well.

The fan base is big enough to accommodate lackluster titles - but only for so long; and some of us have reached breaking point already.  There hasn't really been a decent ALIEN themed title since AvP2 was released a decade ago, which SEGA had no hand in.

As to the future for what 'ALIEN: Isolation' holds?  Well, the inclusion of Amanda Ripley as the major character is more of an ominous sign rather than an encouraging one. 

-Windebieste

Vepariga

Looks cool but having Ripleys daughter as the main character is dumb to me. how and why would she ever have encountered xenos.

UDA

UDA

I'm not saying Isolation is going to be great. I'm saying it's unrealistic to expect another A:CM. If Sega wasn't capable of moving past that, they wouldn't be making another Alien game.

I thought that AVP was fine by the way, with the exception of the rock, paper, scissors thing. It had strong atmosphere, and I thought it captured the best of both worlds in those regards. I'm in the publishing business (Meaning I read everything, all the time) so just about all the stories we see in games are lack-luster to me, so I can't really critique that. I don't know enough about graphics to say if that was good or bad, but I will say I would like to see those graphics pasted over AVP 2. The sounds were fine as well.

Quote from: Vepariga on Dec 19, 2013, 11:03:56 AM
Looks cool but having Ripleys daughter as the main character is dumb to me. how and why would she ever have encountered xenos.

This could have a good or bad effect. Bad in the sense that she's on some adventure to find her mother, which is a technique used way too often, and almost always lacks substance (there's usually no background development, it's just handed to you and you're expected to accept it as is).
Good in the sense that it could allow for character development (Dynamic Characters). Granted Amanda finds out about the link between her mom and the Xeno later on in the game. You can run through all emotions there. Sadness, Despair, Anger. Not having Amanda know about the Xeno's and not being on some quest for her mother from the get go leaves alot of doors open. Granted this a story about Amanda and not Amanda and her new boyfriend or Amanda and her new crew.

Talking about narrative structure on this forum has made me realize more and more just how shitty quality video game stories are. The stories were the first reason I even started playing the damn things. Took me over a decade to realize that...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed