ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 387,003 times)

Kimarhi

There is only so many ways an enemy that has to physically touch you to kill you can get to you.  Thus their tactics are limited.

happypred

Quote from: Kimarhi on Dec 16, 2013, 06:16:32 AM
There is only so many ways an enemy that has to physically touch you to kill you can get to you.  Thus their tactics are limited.
In other words, aliens don't have the benefit of technology and human intelligence

They're like Jurassic Park raptors but deadlier (acid blood, armoured exoskeleton, bladed tail)

Kimarhi

Indeed.  You know at the very least the Alien is going to have to get close to you to do damage.

So YOU can modify YOUR tactics in dealing with them (I'd put an infantry unit out in the open and just use close air support all day on such a threat), but eventually whatever tactics they use to get close you know they are a limited opponent.

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: Kimarhi on Dec 16, 2013, 08:20:54 PM
Indeed.  You know at the very least the Alien is going to have to get close to you to do damage.

So YOU can modify YOUR tactics in dealing with them (I'd put an infantry unit out in the open and just use close air support all day on such a threat), but eventually whatever tactics they use to get close you know they are a limited opponent.
I like the idea of Acid-Proof armor suits like those in Aliens: Genocide.

I wonder how much material they'll pull from the CM Tech Manual...

Kimarhi

Whats bad is that we have already pretty much surpassed the Colonial Marines in terms of on the ground technology.  Sure they have stealth tanks and what have you but in other areas we have already surpassed them.

That far in the future they are probably rocking combat suits powered by exoskeletons and have HUDs that show troop and enemy movements and let them see in different visual spectrums, etc.

That landwarrior project that was almost but no quite cancelled allows a unit to see a map in their eyepiece and is updated as the troops clear buildings within the map.  That tech will be perfected in the future.  Likewise they are already working on exoskeletons for supply purposes (cough bullshit cough) to help lessen the burden on the trooper. 

If you look at some of the stuff DARPA is working on it is downright crazy.  Soldiers with telekinetic powers, the ability to regenerate lost limbs, don't need sleep etc.

One day we might be biomechanical hardasses ourselves.

HuDaFuK

Anyone have any idea if this book will be released in the UK?

SM

Same time it's released everywhere else I'd imagine.

;D

Xenomrph

Quote from: Kimarhi on Dec 16, 2013, 10:00:28 PM
If you look at some of the stuff DARPA is working on it is downright crazy.  Soldiers with telekinetic powers, the ability to regenerate lost limbs, don't need sleep etc.
I think you're going to have to elaborate on this one.

Kimarhi

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2009/05/pentagon-preps-soldier-telepathy-push/

I read an article somewhere that had all the rest of that stuff in there but I can't find it anymore.  Darpa DOES have the mad scientist wing, whether its every successful or not.....

Truthfully I think that humanity will be modified through cybernetics and technology more than it will be bioengineered simply because we've already shown that capacity with prosthetics reacting to brain waves, exoskeletons in development, land warrior etc.  I also don't think people will voluntarily be modified by something they can't "undo".  I can't imagine a surgery or a technique that makes you psychic is somehow reversible. 

But who knows.  We'll find out soon enough.  If we don't kill each other off the next thirty years are so should be exciting times.

SM

The only way we might die off is if we turn into hipsters who cue up for the latest gadget and stampede each other when the doors open.  :)

Kimarhi

I think if we can make it into space and get some returns from our exploration the world will be more peaceful.  People still fighting over resources when resources beyond the planet are infinite.  Somebody just has to take that first step.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Kimarhi on Dec 18, 2013, 10:48:28 PMPeople still fighting over resources when resources beyond the planet are infinite.
That's simplifying it a little... You still have to get to those resources, harvest them, process them, and somehow get them back to Earth. Far quicker easier to just knock seven shades of shit out of each other down here...

Kimarhi

I know.  Obviously huge resource are going to have to be spent.  But eventually people will be fighting for scraps with no chance of getting off planet.

Better to work on the issue NOW while there is still a chance for self correction.  Its going to be a sad day when we have to rely on corporations for sustainable energy as they are the only ones with any plans for offworld travel at the moment.

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: Kimarhi on Dec 19, 2013, 07:06:53 PM
I know.  Obviously huge resource are going to have to be spent.  But eventually people will be fighting for scraps with no chance of getting off planet.

Better to work on the issue NOW while there is still a chance for self correction.  Its going to be a sad day when we have to rely on corporations for sustainable energy as they are the only ones with any plans for offworld travel at the moment.
The problem I see, besides global economic turmoil and civil unrest, is that once you start having corporations begin space exploration, you run the risk of an Elysium-style reality.
The biggest problem behind the idea of living in/exploring/exploiting space is the immense expense it is to fund the technology and engineer Star Trek /Star Wars/ Mass Effect vehicles capable of reducing space travel time, which is another problem all in itself. As much fun as it is to sci-fi folks like myself, I honestly do not see mankind seriously investing itself in space when there's still just as many untapped resources and mysteries to solve here on earth. Just throwing in my 2 cents.

SM

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed