ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 390,941 times)

RakaiThwei

Quote from: SM on Sep 05, 2014, 09:32:03 PM
You didn't seriously think they could make a book that could successfully incorporate 25 years worth of conflicting storylines?

I am not going to be kidding myself and say Yes.. No, that would be stupid. Things like this are inevitable in almost every franchise.

Doesn't mean I have to like the way they're handling it, but it is what it is and who can argue that? No one can.

predxeno

Out of curiosity, where did this rumor about Fox rearranging the AVP continuity/canon come from?

RakaiThwei

Quote from: predxeno on Sep 05, 2014, 09:47:05 PM
Out of curiosity, where did this rumor about Fox rearranging the AVP continuity/canon come from?

Probably around when details about Fire and Stone were being released, and interviews with Dark Horse writers. Also interviews with the Titan Publishing writers. A lot of sources seem to indicate that it points to all of this.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Quote from: predxeno on Sep 05, 2014, 09:47:05 PM

James Moore, the author of Sea of Sorrows, said that originally Fox had him write the novel with Alien 3 and Resurrection ignored, because Fox was considering retconning them. They later changed their minds. I can get you the links in a moment.

http://forum.alienslegacy.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14610&p=226741&sid=57356f663dbb810419a5ce9c29f8d28f

QuoteIn fact it was originally planned that the book would ignore ALIEN 3 and ALIEN RESURRECTION. At that point Fox was very seriously contemplating just pretending that the whole third and fourth movies never existed. I was HAPPY to add them back in because, as flawed as the movies might be, I like parts of both.

predxeno

So I get the feeling that this is all still fan conjecture, Fox hasn't officially stated anything?

Ultramorph

See my edit. It actually seems fairly official. I don't see why Moore would make anything up.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Ultramorph on Sep 05, 2014, 07:58:32 PMIt's pretty much confirmed that the "Old EU" is being tossed, as Sea of Sorrows (which is set 100+ years post-Resurrection) makes no reference to the Big Deletion or anything such as that.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Ultramorph on Sep 05, 2014, 09:51:16 PM
James Moore, the author of Sea of Sorrows, said that originally Fox had him write the novel with Alien 3 and Resurrection ignored, because Fox was considering retconning them. The later changed their minds. I can get you the links in a moment.

And add to the fact that Dark Horse president Mike Richardson said that they were basically starting over to fit the continuity of Prometheus, really adds weight to the point that the Alien-Predator franchises were either getting the New 52 treatment or, from the looks of it now.. how Disney did the mass retcon for Star Wars.

Quote from: predxeno on Sep 05, 2014, 09:52:30 PM
So I get the feeling that this is all still fan conjecture, Fox hasn't officially stated anything?

I don't think at this point, they don't have to. So far everything is being made clear and cut.. I don't like it as much as you do, PredXeno but.. so far it's looking like the facts are there. If anything, Fox should do what Disney did and put all of that under a "LEGENDS" banner or declare them an alternate universe. But I doubt that would happen.

Xenomrph

You didn't seriously think they could make a book that could successfully incorporate 25 years worth of conflicting storylines?
The problem with this line of thinking is it doesn't "conflict" nearly as much as some might lead others to believe.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 05, 2014, 09:56:03 PM
Quote from: Ultramorph on Sep 05, 2014, 07:58:32 PMIt's pretty much confirmed that the "Old EU" is being tossed, as Sea of Sorrows (which is set 100+ years post-Resurrection) makes no reference to the Big Deletion or anything such as that.
http://i57.tinypic.com/15yjdya.gif

So many different kinds of Win going on, here.  ;D

I'm actually shocked to hear that Fox was considering 'disowning' A3 and AR. Sure, AR was dumb, but they greenlighted the damn thing. And Alien3, love it or hate it, is too beautiful to be thrown under the bus like that.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 05, 2014, 11:00:25 PM

The problem with this line of thinking is it doesn't "conflict" nearly as much as some might lead others to believe.

I daresay they didn't share that opinion.

Xenomrph

I guess we'll see how it all plays out. :)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 05, 2014, 11:53:58 PM
I guess we'll see how it all plays out. :)

I don't think you're going to like how it plays out and I sense SM's mustache-twirling machinations to be responsible for it...

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Sep 05, 2014, 09:57:10 PMIf anything, Fox should do what Disney did and put all of that under a "LEGENDS" banner or declare them an alternate universe.

They should declare it all "SMoted."

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 06, 2014, 12:49:03 AM
They should declare it all "SMoted."

Out of curiosity why shouldn't it be an alternate universe?

Local Trouble

Who said it couldn't be?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed