Ridley Scott confirms progress with Prometheus 2

Started by ShadowPred, Oct 27, 2013, 05:03:04 AM

Author
Ridley Scott confirms progress with Prometheus 2 (Read 56,087 times)

Rong

Yerp that's what I was talking about.

Gash

The Deacon is there at the end to hint at where the goo can lead when biological reproduction becomes part of the cycle. It's a deconstruction of the ultimate weapon that was Kane's Son. It doubt if it will feature again, not that one anyway. I don't regard it's appearance as a gimmick to end the film - as was done in AvP - the Deacon is the book-end moment that ties Prometheus to A L I E N by saying what was a contained bio weapon can lead to new an dangerous creature in it's own right if it's not controlled. Seeing it, especially seeing it as a weaker forbear of what it could be, is the connecting moment and therefore pretty much essential in closing Prometheus.

If Shaw and David now travel to the planet of the Engineers I can see why it's been said that any further sequel would likely move further away from A L I E N, following it's own course. It could feature biomechanical alien-like horrors akin to Kane's Son, or it could concentrate on the brutal civilisation of the Engineers and those they serve.

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Gash on Dec 23, 2013, 09:22:45 PM...the Deacon is the book-end moment that ties Prometheus to A L I E N by saying what was a contained bio weapon can lead to new an dangerous creature in it's own right if it's not controlled ... and therefore pretty much essential in closing Prometheus.

By the time Shaw takes off in the alien ship there isn't any ambiguity about how dangerous the goo is and what it might be capable of, nor is there any doubt about the connection to the original film. The deacon, unless it has some role to play in future films, is completely unnecessary; it doesn't suggest anything that we don't already suspect by that point.

And it looks like a pint of shit.

Valaquen

Quote from: Gash on Dec 23, 2013, 09:22:45 PM
If Shaw and David now travel to the planet of the Engineers I can see why it's been said that any further sequel would likely move further away from A L I E N, following it's own course. It could feature biomechanical alien-like horrors akin to Kane's Son
I doubt it, since Scott tried to distance himself from Giger continuously throughout the production. Any Giger element only survived because the concept artists pushed for it time and again. Ridley doesn't seem to want to "repeat" himself. You'll get new monster designers "inspired" by Giger but not beholden to his style.

Gash

I was going to say that a Prometheus sequel would probably have taken it's own course further away from ALIEN, as it always seemed to me, right from early in 2011 that it was Fox who were scared about calling it an ALIEN prequel for fear of the reaction to the lack of familiar aliens. I don't believe Scott was ever that worried about it but was being advised to talk about it having the DNA and play down the connections.

However, I also think that certain reactions to Prometheus might mean that Fox will feel a sequel perhaps needs to acknowledge the familiar alien more directly, whether that's a good thing or not I don't know.

Personally, although scrutiny reveals major differences I think Prometheus is the film where the design aesthetic - aboard the Prometheus and aboard the Juggernaut, remain the most faithful to ALIEN.

The Deacon is bound to look gawky clumsy and a bit shit compared to Kane's Son, but it serves the job of closing the life cycle -  at least enough to make it clear what the DNA altering goo is capable of.

The vast majority of design choices work, but there are certainly a few that were neglected in favour of easier options - the Deacon is admittedly the best example - Huante's white beast, even as an infant, might have looked as good as the original chestburter. What I don't understand is why the translucency that was so sought in ALIEN wasn't pushed further in an era when it could have been realised much more easily. A glassy version of the alien bursting out of the Engineer would have been something to see.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Gash on Dec 25, 2013, 07:12:23 PMWhat I don't understand is why the translucency that was so sought in ALIEN wasn't pushed further in an era when it could have been realised much more easily. A glassy version of the alien bursting out of the Engineer would have been something to see.

Indeed. As would the Sean Harris (i.e. in-camera) version of Fifield. Seeing an actual actor in makeup who's about 10-20% translucent would be pretty freaky.

Darth Vile

Having watched all the Alien films over the Xmas period I was again reminded how utterly pants Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection are. Don't get me wrong, I think Alien 3 is the best looking Alien film to date... and there's obviously a lot of artistry in the direction, design, sets etc. but they are so far removed from the originality and quality of Alien as to be different things completely. Which makes me believe Scott's Prometheus was probably as good as could be expected - and trying to move the concept away from xenos is the right thing to do in order to give the film (and any sequel) justification.

Space7Horror

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Dec 25, 2013, 11:16:26 AM
Quote from: Gash on Dec 23, 2013, 09:22:45 PM...the Deacon is the book-end moment that ties Prometheus to A L I E N by saying what was a contained bio weapon can lead to new an dangerous creature in it's own right if it's not controlled ... and therefore pretty much essential in closing Prometheus.

By the time Shaw takes off in the alien ship there isn't any ambiguity about how dangerous the goo is and what it might be capable of, nor is there any doubt about the connection to the original film. The deacon, unless it has some role to play in future films, is completely unnecessary; it doesn't suggest anything that we don't already suspect by that point.

And it looks like a pint of shit.

The black goo only exists because the Engineers like us came across the alien species and found it too uncontrollable.  They created the goo to make alien like creatures that can be controlled.  They created us humans as a test ground the deacon is a result of the good mixing with species to show its origin the xenomorph that's where the goo came from it has alien DNA in it.  The deacons design shouldn't be as good as the original alien it's a abomination that came about when mixing the aliens DNA with different species the perfect organism was tainted.

SM

The what now?

Space7Horror

Quote from: SM on Jan 02, 2014, 10:55:00 PM
The what now?

Is this to my post? If so I can explain my reasoning if you are confused.

SM

I'm just wondering where you got all that from.

Space7Horror

Quote from: SM on Jan 02, 2014, 11:49:21 PM
I'm just wondering where you got all that from.

Oh I put it together myself with the ideas of other people.  It makes the most sense to me the idea that the engineers didn't create the aliens looks and sounds better.  It's just my opinion though I would be fine with the engineers creating the xenomorph but they created us too so I don't like the idea that they made both us and the alien species. 

SM

Right.

Why did they create us in order to make Deacons (which was made by one guy infected with goo, impregnating a woman with goo infected sperm, and the resulting creature impregnating an Engineer) - but then never exploit us to do precisely that.

Space7Horror

Quote from: SM on Jan 02, 2014, 11:58:12 PM
Right.

Why did they create us in order to make Deacons (which was made by one guy infected with goo, impregnating a woman with goo infected sperm, and the resulting creature impregnating an Engineer) - but then never exploit us to do precisely that.

I said the deacon was an abomination not the intended outcome.  What the engineers wanted was xenomorph like creatures so they created us as a species to test on instead of their own kind.  To create one must first destroy like David said, they planed to go to earth as seen in Prometheus but the goo turned out to be extremely dangerous stopping this action.

SM

Yeah but you also said

QuoteThey created us humans as a test ground the deacon is a result of the good mixing with species to show its origin the xenomorph that's where the goo came from it has alien DNA in it. 

Is there some punctuation required here?

And  if they created us to in order to create 'xenomorph like creatures' why did they wait eons to so?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed