Alien: Isolation

Started by newbeing, Oct 21, 2013, 12:11:03 PM

Author
Alien: Isolation (Read 68,371 times)

PRJ_since1990

PRJ_since1990

Again, I'm all for either creating a petition for CA to tell them what we actually want that would make them more money (because you need to appeal to them like that) or grouping on a forum to tell them. Either way, we shouldn't have to go through another ACM. I hope they learn from that title what NOT to do.

SM

SM

Just let them make the game they want to make.

If they haven't paid any heed to the less than positive reaction around the Amanda Ripley thing, and it's part of the reason the thing tanks - so be it.

A petition from a bunch of people all with different ideas will achieve nothing.

PVTDukeMorrison

PVTDukeMorrison

Can we just stop with the petitions already

SM

SM

srsly

Powerloader

Powerloader

Quote from: PVTDukeMorrison on Dec 10, 2013, 12:17:56 AM
Can we just stop with the petitions already

A petition to stop the petitions.

UDA

UDA

Quote from: acrediblesource on Dec 08, 2013, 03:17:48 PM
To turn this conversation around i'm going to start by stating what I would like to see in the game:
1. A proper use of LV426 and planet assets turned around from ACM and use it as a benefit to a puzzle/story/alien inspired game with or without xenomorphs and the dreaded boiler aliens,etc.
2. With number 1 out there, it needs to be re-dressed with  higher quality and effects.
3. Extended mythology with the help of HR Giger's minions or himself which ever is available.
4. A return to the cargo debris that Nostromo left behind after the explosion to see if there are any more aliens onboard.
5. Amanda Ripley must have star power to drive the interest in this game and to give it some life with great acting chops. (i'm hoping for Ellen Page)

Well, if we're going to start that:

1. A slow paced narrative. Nothing Boring, but get the players intrigued before you get all flashy.
2. They take time to develope Amanda Ripley and the other characters. The Alien universe is full of Iconic Characters that were easy to get attached to. I'd love to see that brought into the games.
3. No Marine protagonists. I'm not going to say they're all the same, but I thought Bret with his 'I'm in it for the money' attitude and Dallas with his 'I'm just the captain and I'm only here for when things go wrong' mentality were more interesting and relateable than the Marines from the second film.
4. The decisions you make quickly affect the game. You have a choice to make and one of them leads to the death of a character, say they get facehugged and instead of one xeno you now have two to deal with.
5. Set the whole thing in space. It's not done enough, and the feeling of 'Isolation' and being lost in a void would be neat.
6. Don't just throw guns into everyone's hands. have a puzzle where you have to build a flamethrower, and you have to take it to tanks to get it refueled.
7. A strong xenomorph character. I mentioned somewhere else that I liked the stalking that Kane's son had going on. That really Rapist Vibe about him that the first film went for. Give him some unique attitude in his movements.
8. An original alien, close but not a clone to Kane's son. I want to see an Alien stand like that one again, Domed head, so on and so forth. keep the original Tale.
9. Don't start the story with 'I'm Amanda and I'm looking for my mom'. Let her happen to come across it, and as the story goes on, she realizes this is what got her mom. Maybe a character like Ash could reveal that late game. Starting off with the whole looking for mom thing is like starting in the middle of the story. So appetizer, Salad, main course and desert sort of deal.
10. Be a bit heavy on the puzzles, but put pressure on them. Say we're being stalked by the alien, we have to hack through a terminal to unlock a door, with the alien on our heels. Add some pressure to it (those scenarios would be better suited late game).
11. Hire somebody who understands story architecture. ACM is exhibit number 1.
12. Some human encounters and combat would be fine, if done carefully and infrequently.
13. Heavy on the visuals. Maps are art, take plenty of time on them. Create some atmosphere (the most recent AVP had some of this with, there was a palpable difference between the jungle, facilities and ruins)
14. Don't create new aliens. In fact, leave everything out except the drone. Focus on making that scary.

there's probably a dozen more things I could write down, but there's no point.

Powerloader

Powerloader

Base it entirely on Alien.  Nothing from Aliens.  Pretend Aliens doesn't exist (no queen, no powerloaders, no marines, etc).  :)

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Powerloader on Dec 10, 2013, 10:52:36 PM
Base it entirely on Alien.  Nothing from Aliens.  Pretend Aliens doesn't exist (no queen, no powerloaders, no marines, etc).  :)

We can dream! I don't hate Aliens by any stretch, but it would be so refreshing to see that stuff left out for once. :)

SM

SM

Problem is you're up against an Alien, which you need to either fight or avoid.  Avoiding for hours and hours on end could get pretty dull.  Which means you're left with fighting.  And if you want to avoid the Aliens vibe and just have a limited number of Aliens - or just a single Alien - if you manage to defeat it; game over.  Endlessly scripting events where it just escapes your flamethrower an instant prior to it being killed could get dull too.

I get there's a market for non-marines Alien games, but just how big that market is and whether it could be successfully pulled off, I'm not so sure.

UDA

UDA

Quote from: SM on Dec 11, 2013, 12:01:36 AM
Problem is you're up against an Alien, which you need to either fight or avoid.  Avoiding for hours and hours on end could get pretty dull.  Which means you're left with fighting.  And if you want to avoid the Aliens vibe and just have a limited number of Aliens - or just a single Alien - if you manage to defeat it; game over.  Endlessly scripting events where it just escapes your flamethrower an instant prior to it being killed could get dull too.

I get there's a market for non-marines Alien games, but just how big that market is and whether it could be successfully pulled off, I'm not so sure.

I hate the idea, but those telltale games where basically everything is a decision, I could see that happening. You have almost no control over where and what you're doing except for those choices.

I'd like to meet the characters, then bring on the eggs, facehugger, ect. Confussion and concern as somebody is face hugged and looked after in the medical bay. Send a distress signal to other ships, puzzles to find them, repair system, drop some hints about the creature, it's biology, ect. Spend a few hours in this section, it doesn't have to be run around a shoot it up.

Then start amping it up, chestburster stuff. Suddenly you're having to track it down, set up a means to track it (say in the form a puzzle). Realization that it sticks to confined quarters like air vents and small mechanical compartments. Make some decisions, maybe a character dissapears. Then throw the twist on the story, the communication you sent out as a distress signal bring around the corporate guys, who are after the xeno for a research. Maybe your crew was set up to die, and they thought you'd all be dead by now, something like that. Then have a few human encounters. Not 300 corporate mercenaries, but a couple of small teams that fanned out to search the ship. All the while you have to avoid areas you know the xeno likes to be in. Maybe you lure some of those corporate guys to the xeno.

Then you're alone, isolated. I'd like to see the character get jettisoned from the ship for a small segment, and you have to figure out a way back. Not looking for a game version of Gravity here. By the time you get back there's a few more aliens bred by the corporate guys. blah blah blah

Sorry for so many long posts and pretentiousness about story and stuff, I'm bored.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I don't really see anything pretentious about your post.

And I like your ideas.

Dead Space 1 and 2 are my games, but I really felt that the original DS started to lose its horror atmosphere when you were able to start upgrading your weapons to make killing shit easier.  When you had to struggle to survive early on, I was freaked out.  I couldn't believe the game started you WITHOUT a weapon. 

I still love the first two games, but they became more action horror instead of survival horror and I thought they were much less intense to play. 

The "swarm" can be pretty intense if done right. I still remember freaking out with mass alien spawns in the first AvP.  On DC where you could only take like two hits things got intense.

I'm not against gameplay changes, but like SM said if your facing an invulnerable alien that is only so because it is scripted as hell, then that is different and lame.

If you could kill the alien numerous ways early on in the game, but have the story continue where maybe the alien egg morphed some fools and you have to kill facehuggers/chestbursters and adult aliens later, that would be cool I think.  I like your ideas of having to try and hunt for the alien as it goes through its lifecycle as well.

NIFTY.

SM

SM

Haven't played Dead Space 1 but have played the second.  To be honest the early stages with no weapon kinda shat me.  I couldn't wait to get my mitts on a weapon.  A much longer period sneaking around without a weapon would drive me up the wall.

I reckon they should do a mobile game that updates the original Alien strategy game with nice flashy graphics.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I think a balance between the two is the best way to go.  We just had a bog standard derivative shooter in ACM, no need to replicate that so soon.

I think using UDTs idea of you vs a single alien through a portion of the game could be cool, while you use your wits and other crewmember npc to try to figure out whats up.  The Alien starts abducting your people until the final confrontation, you think the dangers over and the WY security goons show up.

From there the new aliens are born and you have to take them out and now have access to new weaponry and multiple enemies. 

SM

SM

The problem with that is familiarity.  As soon as you meet Bella in A:CM you feel like putting her out of her misery right there and then - but you have to pretend you're dumb regarding the life cycle.

Everyone knows how the lifecycle works - there's no 'confusion' like there was when we first saw the original film.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Dec 11, 2013, 12:38:39 AM
Haven't played Dead Space 1 but have played the second.  To be honest the early stages with no weapon kinda shat me.  I couldn't wait to get my mitts on a weapon.  A much longer period sneaking around without a weapon would drive me up the wall.
If you want a "horror" game, DS1 is much more in-line with that than DS2. DS2 plays up the "action" angle a lot more heavily.

Incidentally DS1 also has the exact same plot progression as Event Horizon/Deep Rising/Virus/Ghost Ship.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed