Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 10, 2013, 08:24:08 PM

Author
Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series (Read 279,993 times)

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 19, 2014, 05:20:55 AM
Herk Mondo is awesome.

Agreed. I actually liked Herk Mondo.

Seriously, who says an ALIENS comic can't be just stupid fun?

SM

SM

...I think his name's 'Merk'.

happypred

Quote from: Ultramorph on Mar 19, 2014, 02:13:32 AMespecially with TWW. If anything needed a darker tone and more sense of grand scale, it was TWW

High-quality art would've made up for a lot of TWW's other shortcomings

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Quote from: happypred on Mar 19, 2014, 02:51:38 PM
Quote from: Ultramorph on Mar 19, 2014, 02:13:32 AMespecially with TWW. If anything needed a darker tone and more sense of grand scale, it was TWW

High-quality art would've made up for a lot of TWW's other shortcomings

That's the truth. At least from what we've seen of the interiors Ferreyra is doing it looks like that won't be an issue in this reboot.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this whole thing. It seems like Dark Horse has learned from past mistakes, and is approaching this in a smart way. I just hope we don't have to wait much past July for it to hit stands; although I have no problem with delays to make things better.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Ultramorph on Mar 19, 2014, 05:34:44 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic about this whole thing.

I am cautious about this but not necessarily about the story but rather how my favorite head hunting alien will be portrayed and they did mention that there will be some changes. Just what they change has me anxious.

Also.. I know you've got a hypothesis that Amanda maybe involved but I sincerely hope that we don't see her. I will say this.. I am expecting this Galgo character to live at the end of all of this.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

It's definitely looking like they're setting up Galgo to be the next Machiko Noguchi, and if the series does well he'll probably be returning to have more adventures. I hope he's at least an interesting character. Some of what Williamson has said has made it sound like he might just be another generic, out-for-himself mercenary type. But I won't prejudge that too much.

As far as the Predators go, I guess I feel the same way, but in my case it's the Xenos and Engineers I'm worried about them changing. My guess as far as the Preators goes is that there won't be too much new info except some stuff about their relationship with the Engineers. On that count, I don't see DH doing anything major with that, due to studio restrictions.

Not necessarily new, but Patric Reynolds, who is doing the interior artwork for the Aliens series as well as some of the promo images we've already seen, just did a Tumblr post dedicated to his Aliens work. There were a few images I've never seen before, but I'm pretty sure they're from that Colonial Marines tie-in comic he did a few years back. Either way, it's still an interesting look at the style we'll be seeing.

http://patricjreynolds.tumblr.com/

happypred

Quote from: Ultramorph on Mar 19, 2014, 08:56:13 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/3f7c3bd4df69b56212b78835cad0afa3/tumblr_n2r0n8v5pt1tw1qkzo5_500.jpg
Very solid work

I like how his aliens are lithe and biomechanical. The original alien was meant to be eerily graceful. His art captures that 

RakaiThwei

I think that those are some prints he will be selling at a Comic-Con or something. Still.. Damn good work!  :o

SpreadEagleBeagle

I like the design of those xenos. Thumbs up for that at least.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Mar 19, 2014, 05:54:00 AM
...I think his name's 'Merk'.
it's definitely Herk.

Quote from: happypred on Mar 21, 2014, 02:08:01 AM
Quote from: Ultramorph on Mar 19, 2014, 08:56:13 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/3f7c3bd4df69b56212b78835cad0afa3/tumblr_n2r0n8v5pt1tw1qkzo5_500.jpg
Very solid work

I like how his aliens are lithe and biomechanical. The original alien was meant to be eerily graceful. His art captures that 
Seconding this, for sure. Skinny Aliens = best Aliens

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

I agree, Reynolds' art really gives a sense of the xenos otherworldly gait. Between him and Ferreyra, I think at least the art of this reboot is in good hands.

On another note, Dark Horse just posted the ECCC schedule (over at http://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/1639/dark-horse-announces-emerald-city-comicon-2014-sch), and it has this nice panel:

QuoteSaturday, March 29

4:00 PM Exploring the Mythos of Prometheus/Aliens/Predator/AVP, Room TCC 301

Join Dark Horse editor in chief Scott Allie and writers Josh Williamson, Chris Roberson, Paul Tobin, and Christopher Sebela as they delve into the interconnections of the upcoming Prometheus, Aliens, Predator, and Alien vs. Predator comics.

Hopefully we finally get some more concrete info on the story, and maybe even some new artwork. A release date would be nice, too.

Does anyone know if these things get livestreamed? At least it'll wind up on Youtube eventually.

Scott Allie also did an interview with AICN (http://www.aintitcool.com/node/66637?utm_source=section-feed&utm_medium=feed&utm_term=comics&utm_campaign=1310_RSS) today, and while most of it was about Hellboy and other DH stuff, he did say a tad bit about the reboot:

QuoteSA: Lots going on right now for us outside of the Mignola titles—BUFFY SEASON 10 launches this week. Eric Powell's THE GOON is about to return to the shelves. We just relaunched CONAN with Fred van Lente as writer, and that's one I don't work on, and so I get to be excited to read it every month. There's a massive ALIENS/PREDATOR/PROMETHEUS/AVP thing coming with a complex story and great new characters—I can't wait to get that out there, but what I really can't wait for is to see where some of these characters we've created for it are in a few years.

I so want this story as be as complex as they're saying it will be.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Ultramorph on Mar 21, 2014, 08:58:17 PM
Does anyone know if these things get livestreamed? At least it'll wind up on Youtube eventually.

If it does wind up on Youtube, I'mma jump on that shit like hot cakes. I wanna know what they have to say.

Quote from: Ultramorph on Mar 21, 2014, 08:58:17 PM

QuoteSA: Lots going on right now for us outside of the Mignola titles—BUFFY SEASON 10 launches this week. Eric Powell's THE GOON is about to return to the shelves. We just relaunched CONAN with Fred van Lente as writer, and that's one I don't work on, and so I get to be excited to read it every month. There's a massive ALIENS/PREDATOR/PROMETHEUS/AVP thing coming with a complex story and great new characters—I can't wait to get that out there, but what I really can't wait for is to see where some of these characters we've created for it are in a few years.

I swear I've seen that quote or something similar to it somewhere else..

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Yeah, their statements have been pretty similar the last few months. I have my fingers crossed that they open up at ECCC. It's promising that the panel description specifically mentions how the series will interconnect. That's bodes well as far as getting at least some story details is concerned.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Found this quote (Rakai's greatest fear) : "Predators are the Engineers' domestic pets like dogs."

Lololol

Ultramorph

I'm just looking forward to the inevitable full-page hero shot of the battle-wounded Predator triumphantly de-spining an Engineer.  ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed