Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 10, 2013, 08:24:08 PM

Author
Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series (Read 270,603 times)

Ultramorph

That's also true. I do worry that this series is a year or two too late to capitalize on Prometheus. People may not care enough about "answers" in Summer 2014 to pick these comics up. That's why they started the hype train a year before release.

SM

SM

With the comics, the novels, Isolation and WY Report, it could very well be a successful year for the franchise - especially if the comics are marketed as a psuedo-sequel to Prometheus.  That could rope in people who were only casual fans of the film, but intrigued to find out what happened next in lieu of another film.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

It's Schrodinger's reboot: until it's upon us, it can be either the fresh start the series needs or the disaster that buries it for another five years.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: SM on Mar 19, 2014, 02:18:13 AM
The reality is Aliens and Predator have limited appeal.

This is sadly.. sadly true.

Quote from: SM on Mar 19, 2014, 02:18:13 AM
The chart topping days of the original AvP comics were 25 years ago, and it's probably not incorrect to say the brand was tainted by the shoddy films.

Even without the AvP films, I doubt that they would be churning out titles the way they did before. I mean 1999 to 2000 was around the time of their last publication.. which was Alien vs Predator vs Terminator.

I really don't expect an on-going series to be happening after these reboot comics.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

An ongoing is definitely not going to happen, but it would be cool if one or more of the characters survived and went on to star in other limited series in a year or two (ala Machiko).

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Ultramorph on Mar 19, 2014, 02:38:24 AM
An ongoing is definitely not going to happen

And you know what? Despite me being an avid Alien-Predator fan.. I don't want one.

SM

SM

If it's succesful enough to be ongoing, then it will.

Ultramorph

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Mar 19, 2014, 02:43:31 AM
Quote from: Ultramorph on Mar 19, 2014, 02:38:24 AM
An ongoing is definitely not going to happen

And you know what? Despite me being an avid Alien-Predator fan.. I don't want one.

Nor do I. These stories are better told in short doses. That's all I want: more short series in the coming years. The pattern of boom and bust quite frankly sucks.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: SM on Mar 19, 2014, 02:44:32 AM
If it's succesful enough to be ongoing, then it will.

I am not going to deny the possibility of that happening, but as you said-- it's a very limited appeal. I'm sure it will generate some fairly decent sales numbers but nowhere near the likes of Star Wars, Marvel, or DC. Sure, years ago it had hit the charts but compare licensed movie properties to on-going comic titles like Spider-Man or X-Men.. they don't compare.

Quote from: Ultramorph on Mar 19, 2014, 02:48:05 AM
Nor do I. These stories are better told in short doses. That's all I want: more short series in the coming years. The pattern of boom and bust quite frankly sucks.

I would've liked it if they continued on with the older stuff.. But I suppose one way or another a reboot in a sense was bound to happen. I just didn't think it was going to be this way in the EU. I mean everything gets rebooted once in a while.. maybe every thirty or so years as far as comics are concerned. I guess it was Alien-Predator's time to get rebooted.

Kind of sad too, because I have a lot of nostalgic value to the old stuff. I really had fun reading the stories, almost none of them really pissed me off (Top Cow's AvPvWvD OverKill was the only one which really pissed me off.. a Predator anal probing Jackie Estacado.. What? And Batman/Superman vs Alien/Predator just... disappointed me.) or made me roll my eyes. I just had fun with them, and some of the characters I liked and grew up with like Machiko and Broken Tusk.

SM

SM

QuoteI am not going to deny the possibility of that happening, but as you said-- it's a very limited appeal.

It was effectively on ongoing series for a solid 7 years, with a number of series running concurrently.  Then several more series along with one shots and crossovers ran for another 5 years, before it petered out.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: SM on Mar 19, 2014, 03:08:40 AM
It was effectively on ongoing series for a solid 7 years, with a number of series running concurrently.  Then several more series along with one shots and crossovers ran for another 5 years, before it petered out.

That much is indeed very true.

Guess we will have to wait and see what happens then..

Ultramorph

Now that we've circled back to the "wait and see" point, it's probably a good time to shift focus a bit.

I'm just wondering what everyone thinks we'll get as far as exploration of the Engineers. I doubt we'll get much that's concrete, but it's a good opportunity to explore a bit more how they operate.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Ultramorph on Mar 19, 2014, 03:23:48 AM
I'm just wondering what everyone thinks we'll get as far as exploration of the Engineers. I doubt we'll get much that's concrete, but it's a good opportunity to explore a bit more how they operate.

They can do what they want with the Engineers-- since very little has been expanded upon since Alien. By the time "Paradise" is released, I doubt that what they do in the comics would matter much anyway. I'm just more anxious about what they do with the Predators. That's the only thing I'm more wanting to find out about.

SM

SM

They'll have very strict boundaries about what they can and can't say about the Engineers.  I doubt there will be any big revelations.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on Mar 18, 2014, 02:11:09 AM
What would be so bad about stuff like A:CM, Mondo and others being jettisoned from Canon?

Are you afraid they'd reinvent Predator culture?
Herk Mondo is awesome.

Quote from: SM on Mar 18, 2014, 02:26:07 AM
I don't think you'll catch either Fox or any of the current crop of writers definatively stating what is and isn't canon.  The works will speak for themselves in that regard.
Well except for the quotes posted in this thread so far that have kinda done exactly that, of course. :P

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed