Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 10, 2013, 08:24:08 PM

Author
Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series (Read 279,942 times)

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Ah I see.

Ultramorph

The Old/New Testament or apocrypha way is a good way to look at it; although, as I've said before, we'll have to wait and see how it all plays out. I fully expect people to manage reconciling the new stuff with the old, through "fuzzy continuity" or other means.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Yeah, I'm holding judgment until the new stuff actually comes out.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

At least the old stuff isn't being jettisoned from canon, according to Sebela anyway.. That's the only comfort I get from all of this.  :-\

Technically speaking, this is a new continuity altogether which references the films.. sans the AvP movies.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

What would be so bad about stuff like A:CM, Mondo and others being jettisoned from Canon?

Are you afraid they'd reinvent Predator culture?

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on Mar 18, 2014, 02:11:09 AM
What would be so bad about stuff like A:CM, Mondo and others being jettisoned from Canon?

I thoroughly enjoyed the old EU and while some of the stories could've been better, I still relatively enjoyed them. Though it's more of the AvP and Predator stories which I enjoyed more than Aliens. But I don't think Fox would really go out of the way to jettison something out of their canon-- since they label everything as such and well.. the whole reboot thing going on is the reason why I prompted the discussion of the multiverse.

Everything's gotta go somewhere even if it doesn't fit.

Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on Mar 18, 2014, 02:11:09 AM
Are you afraid they'd reinvent Predator culture?

They already did once, namely with the Hish mythos. And that was just... cringe worthy.

I just hope that in future EU stories, we don't see Predator slave trades or Predator Kings and Queens.

SM

SM

I don't think you'll catch either Fox or any of the current crop of writers definatively stating what is and isn't canon.  The works will speak for themselves in that regard.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

All of/most of the EU stuff was centred around old tropes being repeated over and over, and putting the creatures in situations weakening their value. (In Cages)  And a lot was just monster mash 245546. And Aliens in particular couldn't let go of Ellen, all the while demeaning her sacrifice in Alien3.

Where-as already from what we've seen they are being creative (New Engineer weapons) and Realistic. (No direct links to any particular character.) And thanks to Prometheus no more stagnation, I honestly feel this'll be the next golden era of AVP comics.

And as for "Everything's gotta go somewhere." Yeah another universe.

And you really gotta stop worrying about them changing the Predator, from what I can see they don't care a lot about the Predator from(Very little info/pics) and there will be no Super Preds.

Quote from: SM on Mar 18, 2014, 02:26:07 AM
I don't think you'll catch either Fox or any of the current crop of writers definatively stating what is and isn't canon.  The works will speak for themselves in that regard.

Indeed.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

I really hope the Deacons are not replacing Xenomorphs entirely in this new series...

RakaiThwei

Quote from: RidgeTop on Mar 18, 2014, 02:35:42 AM
I really hope the Deacons are not replacing Xenomorphs entirely in this new series...

Any reason in particular for this train of thought?

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: RidgeTop on Mar 18, 2014, 02:35:42 AM

They don't have to, but since there's no eggs uh...

After Alien3 it should be a requirement that they replace Xenos though, otherwise Ripley's sacrifice literally means nothing.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

How?  She stopped a known threat from getting to earth.  Even if it was temporary it still allowed the Earth to keep on spinning for awhile longer.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Because I'm sick of EU material with Aliens in glass jars essentially.
You kinda kill the deadliness of a creature if you can trap it in a room and experiment on it.
Plus I think it's kinda neat that Ripley would wipe out the species.

Well, that and it makes the Scientists in Resurrection look really, really dumb if she didn't.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Nvm we agree on this.  Thought we were just talking about the movies for a second.

To be fair to darkhorse though that initial run with Ripley, Newt, and Hicks was before Alien 3 came out. 

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Yeah and they sorta continued with that vibe after those comics as well another problem I had with the old EU.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed