Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 10, 2013, 08:24:08 PM

Author
Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series (Read 270,548 times)

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

I noticed two things, one the ridges on this "man" 's nose are identical to that of the Big Head in Prometheus.

And is it that disturbing the atmosphere in the temple terraformed the entirety/ part of LV223? 

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Yeah, a couple of us have noticed the similarities between the mutant and the big head statue. He could be mutating into an Engineer ( which would be strange) or even an Engineer mutating into something else. I'm interested to see where they go with it. Maybe we'll even see a Predator get black gooed!  :laugh:

As for the second point, I think the black goo getting loose probably caused everything in the pyramid to go haywire, creating a whole new organic environment (hence the big head being covered in what look like tree roots). It makes send that something like that would happen, when the black goo is left on its own uncontained. My guess is that the Aliens series will also be set on LV-223 and further explore what havoc the black goo has wrought (IE a big xeno/Deacon hive, terraformed environment). Maybe we'll even get some cool Giger-esque hell-world stuff.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

I really like the sound of that.

Ultramorph

My early best guess of how all four series will play out:

Prometheus-Follows the rescue crew sent to look for Weyland and the Prometheus (confirmed in interviews). They find the pyramid and various creatures within evolving due to the exposed black goo. Monster madness ensues, with the adult Deacon taking the spotlight. The characters speculate on what the goo is and what it was meant to do, answering fan questions as Dark Horse has said they will. Most of the team dies, taken as hosts by the Deacon for a growing hive. One or more survivors get away.

Aliens-As word begins to get out about LV-223 and the mysterious, yet potentially profitable, alien technology there, a team of scientists or smugglers set out to get a vase of the goo (as the cover of Aliens #1 would indicate). They find LV-223 even more evolved, and this series will address the relationship between the Deacons and xenos. I suspect Galgo (Joshua Williamson's character) will be introduced here.

Predators-I suspect this will be the least inter-related. As Williamson has already said, we'll see an older Predator embarking on his final hunt. It'll turn out that the query is an Engineer, of whom I suspect we won't see to much in the series. Galgo will be the main character, as Williamson has said. The series will end with the Predator tracking the Engineer to -gasp- LV-223.

AvP-I expect this series to be balls-to-the-walls monster action, as the old Predator fights not only the Engineer, but the combined horrors of the Deacons, xenos, and other monstrosities that have spring up on the planet since the goo got loose. This series will answer the "Why did they never go back to LV-223 in later years?" question by having the whole Engineer installation get destroyed by a wrist nuke.

At least, that's how I see things playing out. ;D

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jan 27, 2014, 09:25:51 PM
My early best guess of how all four series will play out:

Prometheus-Follows the rescue crew sent to look for Weyland and the Prometheus (confirmed in interviews). They find the pyramid and various creatures within evolving due to the exposed black goo. Monster madness ensues, with the adult Deacon taking the spotlight. The characters speculate on what the goo is and what it was meant to do, answering fan questions as Dark Horse has said they will. Most of the team dies, taken as hosts by the Deacon for a growing hive. One or more survivors get away.

Aliens-As word begins to get out about LV-223 and the mysterious, yet potentially profitable, alien technology there, a team of scientists or smugglers set out to get a vase of the goo (as the cover of Aliens #1 would indicate). They find LV-223 even more evolved, and this series will address the relationship between the Deacons and xenos. I suspect Galgo (Joshua Williamson's character) will be introduced here.

Predators-I suspect this will be the least inter-related. As Williamson has already said, we'll see an older Predator embarking on his final hunt. It'll turn out that the query is an Engineer, of whom I suspect we won't see to much in the series. Galgo will be the main character, as Williamson has said. The series will end with the Predator tracking the Engineer to -gasp- LV-223.

AvP-I expect this series to be balls-to-the-walls monster action, as the old Predator fights not only the Engineer, but the combined horrors of the Deacons, xenos, and other monstrosities that have spring up on the planet since the goo got loose. This series will answer the "Why did they never go back to LV-223 in later years?" question by having the whole Engineer installation get destroyed by a wrist nuke.

At least, that's how I see things playing out. ;D

Fantastic Analysis.

happypred

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jan 27, 2014, 09:25:51 PMAvP-I expect this series to be balls-to-the-walls monster action, as the old Predator fights not only the Engineer, but the combined horrors of the Deacons, xenos, and other monstrosities that have spring up on the planet since the goo got loose. This series will answer the "Why did they never go back to LV-223 in later years?" question by having the whole Engineer installation get destroyed by a wrist nuke.

Good speculation

I wouldn't mind if the AvP comic were to unfold like that. I'm down for predator on xeno on engineer on deacon on other "black goo" creatures. My only concern is that if they were really to take that route, the story might lose focus. To many different monsters going at it. It would really be fascinating to see xenos and deacons ripping into each other...or xenos taking on cobras and giant facehuggers. I'd be interested in seeing engineer weaponry too.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: The1PerfectOrganism on Jan 27, 2014, 04:54:56 PM
And as for AVP, tubes teeth and a phallic shaped head does not a Xenomorph or Alien make.
I definitely disagree with this. I love seeing reinterpretations of the Alien creature, and there have been lots in the video games, comics, and certainly the movies themselves.

Rambo

Rambo

I think it would be great if the AVP series is much longer than the others (10 issues like Colonial Marines), and is a proper culmination of all of the reboots, and doesn't feel rushed like the traditional 4-issue mini series that try to establish and conclude several separate entities all at once.

happypred

I believe it's been confirmed that all four miniseries will be four issues each...but I do agree. I think they should get ambitious with the AvP miniseries. It's supposed to further explore plot elements of the other three miniseries. I'm guessing the AvP comic will feature predators, engineers, humans, xenos, deacons, black goo monstrosities (those seen in Promotheus and possibly new creatures). 10 to 12 issues sounds like a good idea to avoid a rushed story. 

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Thanks for the feedback on my predictions!

One thing about the reboot I'm curious about is how the individual series will read month-to-month. Xenogenesis was released one miniseries at a time (Aliens for four months, then Predator, then AvP), and the '09/'10 relaunch was basically released that way, too. But this time around the four series are being released in a nested way, two a month (Prometheus #1 + Aliens #1 in June, then AvP #1 + Predator #1 in July, etc.). I wonder how that will effect reading each story, especially since Scott Allie has said that some series are basically sequels to others. For example, will we see things in AvP #1 that won't fully make sense until Prometheus #4? It'll be interesting to see how they handle it.

Mike Richardson and Randy Stradley did another interview with Comic Book Resources today. They talked a bit about the new A/v/P comics, but nothing really substantial.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=50557

A few quotes:

"So we decided to find a way to fill in the cracks around what Ridley [Scott] is doing with his movies. He himself said that this all took place in the same universe, and we took that as our launch point to again make comics that we thought would make for great movies. We want to answer a few of the questions that were raised in "Prometheus" and pose some additional questions while having a related set of books all set in that same fictional universe."

"We spent a lot of time just sorting out how we could do this and what the rules would be. How can we answer questions posed in the film itself while also not going too far astray from Ridley's ideas? So just tackling "Prometheus" in that way was a task, and then we had to find how to tell stories in the other franchises where we could also have a set of related characters through all the comics."

"We've been coming up with some related-but-varied themes for each part of the story. So the story in the "Prometheus" chapter is a different story from the one in the "Aliens" chapter which is different than the one in the "Predators" chapter. They're all obviously one larger story, but within the pieces, we're making sure to pin down satisfying stories within each franchise chapter."

"The launches will be staggered, but we'll talk more about that when we get towards the launch dates." That's the only thing that caught my eye, since I was just asking about that earlier today.

Overall, nothing new.

happypred

No recent news about these comics? Come on Dark Horse...you gotta build that hype, not let ppl's excitement cool off

SM

SM

No point.  Wait till April I reckon.

StrangeShape

Man, Im a excited about this. I was and am a HUGE fan of the DH EU for Alien, earliest stories in general, and I think they'll do a good job on that too. Plus Prometheus was more of a teaser, not giving much information or much of anything, Id love to see DHs ideas and expansion of that universe. The black goo also opens a lot of possibilities

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Quote from: happypred on Feb 08, 2014, 10:48:50 AM
No recent news about these comics? Come on Dark Horse...you gotta build that hype, not let ppl's excitement cool off

I think the people at Dark Horse were really excited when stuff for the issue #1s, like the covers, started rolling in, but they've realized now that they can't share much more without massively spoiling anything. I think we can expect more maybe in March, since the solicits for June will probably be out by then. It might also be smart not to keep people too hyped up, as that usually leads to disappointment. This is Prometheus, after all.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 28, 2014, 03:24:55 AM
Quote from: The1PerfectOrganism on Jan 27, 2014, 04:54:56 PM
And as for AVP, tubes teeth and a phallic shaped head does not a Xenomorph or Alien make.
I definitely disagree with this. I love seeing reinterpretations of the Alien creature, and there have been lots in the video games, comics, and certainly the movies themselves.

And they've all been f**king awful aside from Aliens Alien3 and most of the concept art being better than the final designs.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed