Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 10, 2013, 08:24:08 PM

Author
Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series (Read 280,162 times)

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 03, 2014, 04:21:15 AM
It's probably worth pointing out that we really don't know how the Black Goo "works", and that's probably exactly how Ridley Scott intended and wants it.

Should this also extend to synthetics?

happypred

happypred

Quote from: RakaiThwei on May 03, 2014, 02:26:57 AMMore than just the helmet design, the armor design is definitely Berserker's.
The predators are wearing mesh though...which if I recall correctly isn't worn by the "Supers"

QuoteThe only work of Olivetti I have seen was the Batman and Superman crossover. He's a good artist, don't get me wrong though. The art is better than Three World War..

Yes, the Batman/Superman/AvP comic actually had some decent art. It was the story that was bad. The aliens and predators merely served as whipping boys

RakaiThwei

Quote from: happypred on May 03, 2014, 06:30:14 AM
The predators are wearing mesh though...which if I recall correctly isn't worn by the "Supers"

Note, not all of them all wearing mesh.

Quote from: happypred on May 03, 2014, 06:30:14 AM
Yes, the Batman/Superman/AvP comic actually had some decent art. It was the story that was bad. The aliens and predators merely served as whipping boys

Agreed.. That's a comic I wish we could all forget. Funny thing is.. I had for a while.

happypred

happypred

Quote from: RakaiThwei on May 03, 2014, 06:36:32 AM
Note, not all of them all wearing mesh.

I'm pretty sure that's because a close-up "shot" shows the mesh. From a distance, you probably wouldn't see it.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: happypred on May 03, 2014, 06:41:43 AM
I'm pretty sure that's because a close-up "shot" shows the mesh. From a distance, you probably wouldn't see it.

I see two close up shots.. One where Galgo shoots a Predator. And another which is watching Galgo run off. One has mesh, the other doesn't. We're looking at the same panels, but I'm not exactly seeing the same thing you are.

Either we have both normal and Super Predators working together in this comic (and I thought these guys hated each other), or this is Olivetti being inconsistent as an artist with his Predators. I recall him being inconsistent a bit in the Batman and Superman crossover.

happypred

happypred

EDIT: Someone has pointed out that the predator with mesh has double wristblades

The predator with a single wristblade has no mesh

Classics vs. Supers perhaps?

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

Well I'd say he's potentially a third predator just de-cloaking. His mask is different to the other two and he has duel wristblades. He could be watching events from the shadows, doesn't necessarily mean he's working with the other two.

happypred

happypred

Quote from: TheBATMAN on May 03, 2014, 01:33:55 PM
Well I'd say he's potentially a third predator just de-cloaking. His mask is different to the other two and he has duel wristblades. He could be watching events from the shadows, doesn't necessarily mean he's working with the other two.
Actually you know what...very good observation, you're right

I believe this might be a case of a classic predator stalking super predators

Ultramorph

Quote from: happypred on May 03, 2014, 02:42:08 PM
Actually you know what...very good observation, you're right

I believe this might be a case of a classic predator stalking super predators

Sounds reasonable. I've always assumed that the mystery prey in this series would be an Engineer, but it looks like it will be either Elden or a Super Predator.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: RakaiThwei on May 03, 2014, 04:33:00 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on May 03, 2014, 04:21:15 AM
It's probably worth pointing out that we really don't know how the Black Goo "works", and that's probably exactly how Ridley Scott intended and wants it.

Should this also extend to synthetics?
What do you mean?

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

I think before we judge too much, we should look at some of the math here. This arc is seventeen issues long, with "Prometheus: Omega" being a double-sized issue if I recall the Deconnick interview correctly. If we assume a typical 32 pages per issues, that adds up to 576 pages (432 if you subtract 8 pages for ads), of which we've seen about 12 so far between all the previews. They have plenty of room to surprise us.  :)

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Kimarhi on Apr 28, 2014, 03:00:22 AM
The comics started their release in 89.  The P2 movie came out in 90.  The Alien skull in p2 was actually a nod to the comics, not the idea that inspired the comics.  Chris Warner actually came up with the idea and Randly Stradley is the one that ran with it.

From what I remember, it's very murky. The original graphic novel compilation, with the foreword and such, mentions that they were being very careful about not boxing their Predators in, due to knowing 'Predator 2' production was literally underway (which made the decision to show the shoulder cannons, but have the Predators actively using old-fashioned hand-held explosive guns, all the stranger). At a guess, I'd figure this was the scripting/location scouting/casting phase.

The inclusion of the skull has always been a messy subject. Stan Winston is on record as saying he had no idea who thought of it, but would "like to think" that it was him (on account of thinking it was a very cool idea) and that they were just making up a bunch of strange and extraterrestrial skulls for it. Definitely no mentions of being aware of the comic at the time. Some people have speculated it was a joke, but there's nothing, whatsoever, about the way it was shot, which is even the slightest bit humorous.

So, it's possible that one of the men/women who was working in Winston's team decided to make it up as a nod to the comic sales, but would special effects guys necessarily be aware of sales figures? I'd say that it's just as possible that, considering how close the dates between publishing and shooting were, that the skull was simply a coincidence. As the guys behind the comic have said, once the concept was mentioned in a production, it seemed like the most obvious thing in the world.

And I know that, back in the eighties, I, for one, immediately imagined what a match-up like that would be like, after seeing the first 'Predator' film. :) All those swampy scenes at night just felt ideal for Aliens to fit in, visually.

Unless the person who made the actual sculpt comes forward, I don't think we'll ever have more than speculation and guesses to go on.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 03, 2014, 05:13:38 PM
What do you mean?

Like if the Black Goo can or should somehow infect and mutate synthetics.. Considering they are not organic as far as I know.

happypred

happypred

Well I'd say he's potentially a third predator just de-cloaking.
Upon closer inspection, he doesnt appear to be in league with the other two. His armour is a different colour. His mask is less funky. He is wearing mesh. There is a faint outline around his figure. I think its meant to represent the shimmer of decloaking. I would say your theory is most likely correct

EDIT: Oh yeah, the skull on the mesh-wearing predator's chest indicates that he is the main "Ahab" predator. Pretty cool if he has a vendetta against the leader of the Supers or something like that

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Quote from: happypred on May 04, 2014, 12:02:09 AM
EDIT: Oh yeah, the skull on the mesh-wearing predator's chest indicates that he is the main "Ahab" predator. Pretty cool if he has a vendetta against the leader of the Supers or something like that

Nice catch! It does seem that maybe Ahab is fighting the Super Preds.

As far as the whole Elden thing goes, looking back at the preview of Prometheus #1, I think an arc starts to become visible.

Francis is dying from some kind of disease, and when he finds the black goo, he thinks he's found a way to save himself. What follows is a reverse David/Holloway story, in which Francis (in the manner of a Dr. Frankenstein) experiments on the synthetic Elden with the goo. The result is the mutant we see in the AvP preview.

I think that Elden will have a bug-man/Willard relationship with the xenomorphs, wherein his mutation makes him able to control the Aliens like the bug-man king from Colonial Marines. This is given some credence from the dialog in the above image: "Those things Elden brought with him" would seem to be the xenomorphs, since they're contrasted with the Predators, who arrive on their own ship.

The bug-man/Willard angle is also supported by the AvP cover we got a while back. The nasal ridges pretty much confirm that the character on the cover with his face melting is the mutant Elden. It appears he's being embraced by the xenos/Deacons. This is very reminiscent of the bug-man cover from Colonial Marines.

I'm quite interested to see if Dark Horse can pull off this sort of story better than they did in the past.

Also, the ECCC mural would seem to show a character, assumingly Elden, being embraced by Xenos.

Also, for those unconvinced that it's Elden in the AvP preview, note that the Predators are fighting robots, which it is reasonable to assume a megalomaniacal mutant synthetic would have around.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed