The AvPGalaxy Podcast - Thread 2.0

Started by Corporal Hicks, Aug 15, 2013, 05:13:36 PM

Author
The AvPGalaxy Podcast - Thread 2.0 (Read 50,673 times)

TheBATMAN

Enjoyed that boys, nicely done and I agree on almost all points However, I feel the runtime is woefully short for a show covering so many topics. I guess it all comes down to everyone's free time and availability but I think a show like this should really be between 90 mins to 2 hours in length. That way you can delve into much more detail with your discussions.

Also the audio is sketchy in places and kind of spoils it in places. If the audio gets that bad you should just re-record that particular bit when it clears up.

One quick point I'd like to make about AVP is that I too enjoyed the pyramid setting. But why present day Antarctica? John Davis and Paul Anderson wanted an AVP film set on Earth, yet having it 2000 feet below isolated Antarctica kind of negates that fact. Then Anderson says Antarctica was chosen because it was closest place on Earth to the surface of an alien planet. Again, why?

I wish the first AVP film had gone along the lines of AVP2010. Essentially the same plot but set in the future between Aliens and Alien 3. Hot, jungle planet perfect for the Preds, bring in Weyland-Yutani and the colonial marines yet keep the Aliens isolated to the pyramid and the darkness.

And should Anderson not be blamed in some respects for Requiem? After all it was his present day earth plot that led to a sequel being set in Colorado.

SM

SM

QuoteEnjoyed that boys, nicely done and I agree on almost all points However, I feel the runtime is woefully short for a show covering so many topics.

I thought this one was a bit long considering it was a 45 minute whinge.

Ah well, guys gotta vent I guess...

QuoteAlso the audio is sketchy in places and kind of spoils it in places. If the audio gets that bad you should just re-record that particular bit when it clears up.

That's what they usually do.  Sometimes some stuff isn't picked up on until I start editing, and only so much can be done with it.

QuoteOne quick point I'd like to make about AVP is that I too enjoyed the pyramid setting. But why present day Antarctica? John Davis and Paul Anderson wanted an AVP film set on Earth, yet having it 2000 feet below isolated Antarctica kind of negates that fact. Then Anderson says Antarctica was chosen because it was closest place on Earth to the surface of an alien planet. Again, why?

Because it creates a timer.  If the Aliens get to the surface they'll spread as they're already on Earth.  If you do that on another planet, the jeopardy is reduced.

QuoteAnd should Anderson not be blamed in some respects for Requiem? After all it was his present day earth plot that led to a sequel being set in Colorado.

Davis wanted it on Earth, so Anderson gave him that.

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

Quote from: SM on Feb 09, 2014, 10:54:37 PM
Because it creates a timer.  If the Aliens get to the surface they'll spread as they're already on Earth.  If you do that on another planet, the jeopardy is reduced.

But does it though? Realistically what are a pack of Aliens gonna do on the Antarctic surface? It's just a false sense of jeopardy, just like the entire present day Earth setting was as a whole, rendering it pointless. And BG-386 at least had a nearby colony so you could argue the threat would be greater there anyway.

SM

SM

Well they weren't in Antarctica really (despite what the film says), and there was a crewed ship nearby.  If the crew is all killed - someone's going to come looking for them and find a bunch of eggs.  Then there's a temple under the ground full of eggs.

Weyland wasn't the only one with a satellite.

Darwinsgirl

Where can I find podcast 13? I tried to connect to it in the ALIEN: Out of Shadows topic and got a whole lot of web pages.

SM

SizzyBubbles

SizzyBubbles

A rant podcast? oh man, AVPG will love this  :P :-\

I never gave CM a chance either after seeing and hearing it was so frightfully bad... not worth it to me. And after i saw those galloping, FREAKING GALLOPING xenomorphs... i was like NO. Screw this.

I agree with Corporal on the 'please the fans' thing that companies are doing: "Oh look see its -insert iconic Alien film location here-! LIKE FROM THE MOVIE! You like that don't you???? please buy our game/thing/whatver?!?!"

I like DoomRulz's sound effects in the background there...

SM

SM

Gave me the shits.

QuoteI agree with Corporal on the 'please the fans' thing that companies are doing: "Oh look see its -insert iconic Alien film location here-! LIKE FROM THE MOVIE! You like that don't you???? please buy our game/thing/whatver?!?!"

For 20 years they avoided doing precisely that and people complained.  Now they're tying stuff more to films and people still complain.

Can't please everyone I guess...

Corporal Hicks

I'd disagree. Majority of the games were based on the movies and anything after that has had design elements that are very similar in design to the movies.

I'm glad everyone isn't completely ashamed by the whine-cast. I know SM didn't like it so was worried everyone wouldn't.

SM

SM

It would seem I'm overwhelmingly in the minority.  :)

None of the AvP games were tied to the movies, and after the first 3 comics series, they weren't tied to the films either.  I'm talking in terms of story and character, rather than design elements.  You can't really escape them.

Darwinsgirl

DoomRulz

Quote from: SizzyBubbles on Feb 12, 2014, 02:40:52 AM
I like DoomRulz's sound effects in the background there...

Quote from: SM on Feb 12, 2014, 08:07:32 AM
Gave me the shits.

Sweet Christ, I apologize for that! I don't remember what the hell I was up to during the cast :-[

SizzyBubbles

I can kinda agree where SM is coming from. Fans as a whole can be this stupid, unpleasable mass that hates everything that comes out. It just a lot of the angry butthurt nerd that thinks its cool hate at something.

At the moment though i feel like i'm surviving off a lot of older alien and pred stuff while trying to drain nutrients out of whatever new things come out... which haven't been all the pleasing. The recent alien/predator/avp comics left something to be desired, Prometheus... was a thing... and CM was pretty much the world's biggest disappointment... am i forgetting anything?

I am looking forward to Isolation... yet my excitement is depleted and i'm more "well... i hope its good..." warry. if you get me.

On the bright side, at least i have some SAWEET action figures though!  ;D

Quote from: DoomRulz on Feb 13, 2014, 02:46:59 PM
Sweet Christ, I apologize for that! I don't remember what the hell I was up to during the cast :-[

re-arranging the room while eating chips?

SM

SM

QuoteI can kinda agree where SM is coming from. Fans as a whole can be this stupid, unpleasable mass that hates everything that comes out. It just a lot of the angry butthurt nerd that thinks its cool hate at something.

I dunno if it's the 'cool to hate something' thing - more that a lot of fans don't know what they want (beyond 'make it cool like Alien or Aliens, but give us something new, I mean seriously how hard can it be?').  All they do know is they're not getting it.

bladeghost

This podcast was from the heart and not from a script,I really enjoyed listening to it  I was suprised to hear it , thought ah what the heck give it a listen
since not much else is going on, what really suprised me was a mention of my prometheus mod I built in idTech4 doom3 and my experimental Alien Trilogy D3 mod.
Thanks very much, truly a welcomed suprise and humble acknowledgement.  Thanks to everyone that took the time to check it out. The project I'm making now isn't so cinematic
like prometheus D3 was , I did get a bit carried away with cinematics because they were fun to build and create, too bad the gameplay suffered.
sorry for that. my new project however will be much more FUN! in every sense, so thanks everyone for your support and interest in my Doom 3 mod projects.
Happy Cheers! and best always! :)

J

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed