The AvPGalaxy Podcast - Thread 2.0

Started by Corporal Hicks, Aug 15, 2013, 05:13:36 PM

Author
The AvPGalaxy Podcast - Thread 2.0 (Read 50,664 times)

Space Sweeper

Have this on my iPod, so when I went out walking and listening to it, I spotted a 'No Exit' sign right as Hicks brought up the comic of the same name. At the exact moment.

I cannot sufficiently state how cool this story is.

Seriously though, good episode, guys. Even if, due to not being versed in it, 75% of the episode was EU gibberish to me. Similar thoughts on how I'd like to see the Prometheus stuff play out, though.

ADC

ADC

Nice chat fellas. Taking up Aaron's question, does anyone know the origin of the 'unravelling box-Alien'? I'm pretty sure I heard or read something about this years ago but can't recall the story.

Corporal Hicks

Interview with Walter Simonson coming soon.  ;) Maybe I'll find out then!

ADC

ADC

Perfect! T'is an in'erestin' question  8)

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Aug 17, 2013, 01:08:34 AM
Have this on my iPod, so when I went out walking and listening to it, I spotted a 'No Exit' sign right as Hicks brought up the comic of the same name. At the exact moment.

Hah!

Quote from: ADC on Aug 17, 2013, 03:51:41 PM
Nice chat fellas. Taking up Aaron's question, does anyone know the origin of the 'unravelling box-Alien'? I'm pretty sure I heard or read something about this years ago but can't recall the story.

The writer and/or artist were apparently asked about this, many years ago and they swore blind that it was in the cut which was screened to them. They have no idea what happened to it, but said it was definitely in there. The trouble with verifying it is that none of the production crew ever seems to get asked about it, which has made it a kind of anomaly. Giger's never mentioned it, but many of his designs were passed onto others to construct and they could always have made it out of left-overs from stuff made earlier. His new book might have something about it.

Wouldn't surprise me, because from what I can remember, there was meant to have been a lot of footage which had been removed for various reasons, well over the amount we've all seen. I've never even seen pictures of the famous translucent creature costume until very recently.

Wrrvrvrvrvrm (forget how you spell their name) might've been the one to have brought this to light, but I can't say for sure. Was on the News Group and I haven't been there in a very long time.

Either way, it should be kept in mind that Fox would have had to approve it before publishing.

Darkness

Great podcast. All of you really know your stuff and it seemed to flow quite well. You must return again Sil for another podcast.

SiL

SiL

So long as it's a topic I know something about.

alienfan95610

Awesome podcast guys, loved every minute of it  :)

xeno_alpha_07

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Aug 17, 2013, 07:11:16 PM
Quote from: Space Sweeper on Aug 17, 2013, 01:08:34 AM

Hah!

Quote from: ADC on Aug 17, 2013, 03:51:41 PM

The writer and/or artist were apparently asked about this, many years ago and they swore blind that it was in the cut which was screened to them. They have no idea what happened to it, but said it was definitely in there. The trouble with verifying it is that none of the production crew ever seems to get asked about it, which has made it a kind of anomaly. Giger's never mentioned it, but many of his designs were passed onto others to construct and they could always have made it out of left-overs from stuff made earlier. His new book might have something about it.

Wouldn't surprise me, because from what I can remember, there was meant to have been a lot of footage which had been removed for various reasons, well over the amount we've all seen. I've never even seen pictures of the famous translucent creature costume until very recently.

Wrrvrvrvrvrm (forget how you spell their name) might've been the one to have brought this to light, but I can't say for sure. Was on the News Group and I haven't been there in a very long time.

Either way, it should be kept in mind that Fox would have had to approve it before publishing.

There is an interview with Ridley Scott that mentions about the alien in 'box-like' shape but was never filmed.  He wanted to have the alien seen on monitors on the bridge in which the alien is in a strange shape.  I'm sure one member said the 'box' scene was 'blocked' or something.  This is going back a while.  But for the life in me I can't find the interview.  I'll have to go through all my material.  There's also a a scene in the Illustrated story that come to my attention such as the scene in which Dallas confronts Ash. 

There's no mention of it anywhere and in the Terry Rawlings editing script he writes:

I've been trying to find out if this scene was filmed or not or just added because it was in the script. 

SM

SM

Similar to Dallas switching of the Jockey transmission, or Parker being volunteered to go into the airducts after the Alien (by Dallas in the script or Lambert in the comic).

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

That was a really marvelpis show with all that discussion.

Okay, about the box Alien, see part 2 of this page. http://alienexplorations.blogspot.co.uk/2009/04/j-intermediary-stage.html

I don't know how the thing would have related to what Ridley Scott said about his idea for an intermediate stage.

And I used to think that I had read something more about the box form of the alien but that might be a false memory unless I can eventually find something

Vance19

Vance19

Great podcast guys, found myself nodding in agreement almost the whole time. I read the Aliens novels up to Berserker, but I recently read the original comic versions.

DC

DC

I'll have to watch it again on one of the faster computers in the arboretum before I can form a good critique, but in the meantime I liked what I saw.

Corporal Hicks

I've got the next episode/interview ready. Just having issues with our podcast service went I went to upload it today.

Sorry for the delays guys.

Corporal Hicks

I have just uploaded an interview AvPG conducted with Tim Lebbon, author of the upcoming Alien novel, Out of the Shadows. It is episode 13 of the AvPGalaxy Podcast:

http://media.avpgalaxy.net/files/podcasts/avpg_pc_episode13.mp3

I'd like to thank Tim Lebbon for joining me and discussing his new book. A transcript of the interview with be uploaded to our Interviews section soon.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed