Alien Trilogy discussion

Started by Inverse Effect, Aug 03, 2013, 06:22:27 PM

Author
Alien Trilogy discussion (Read 14,153 times)

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Probably one of my favourite games ever. I still play it on an emulator, and have the soundtrack on my laptop. I have no idea how many hours I spent beating this as a kid, I think it took me nearly a year of getting frustrated and re-starting to get to the final queen.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

This game terrified me when I was a kid. I remember watching my Dad play it from behind the settee. I've got it on the Saturn and the PS1 at the minute. I managed to get through to the Derelict levels on the PS1 but I haven't played it in forever - lost the power cable. Haven't been able to get far on the Saturn. I'm stuck on an earlier level last I played it.

I always wanted to see a remake in AvP2.

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: SM on Aug 06, 2013, 06:53:41 AM
I've mucked around with it on an emulator.  Fun, but I kept dying so often I had to use cheat codes so I could play through - and I never use cheat codes.  Some of them later levels would've been near impossible otherwise!

I used codes on the PlayStation to get through it. I never played it at the time of its release so I found it boring.

I also have Resurrection but I'm not sure if I played that through with codes or not.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 09, 2013, 04:48:52 PM
This game terrified me when I was a kid. I remember watching my Dad play it from behind the settee. I've got it on the Saturn and the PS1 at the minute. I managed to get through to the Derelict levels on the PS1 but I haven't played it in forever - lost the power cable. Haven't been able to get far on the Saturn. I'm stuck on an earlier level last I played it.

I always wanted to see a remake in AvP2.

Oh man... that would have been sweet.

nostalgicalgorithms

The level design and textures really helped build the atmosphere in this game. It seemed it was perfectly suited to the PSX dark muddy color palette. Does it run as good or better on the Saturn?

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

It runs fine on Saturn but there is no autolamp or nvgs in that game because the Saturn version doesn't have visual deformities or environmental darkness like the PS1 version does.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Level 3 (Recreation Rooms) is the first time you get introduced to the really dark sections of the game, and level four (Med. Lab) is even worse. First time I was ever scared playing a game.

Not to mention the gut-wrenching horror of Lead Mould or THE ENTIRE f**kING BONESHIP, but they came later.

SM

SM

QuoteI also have Resurrection but I'm not sure if I played that through with codes or not.

Still haven't played through Res.  Been ages since I even played it.

Think I only got up to level 3 or something.

SIMULANT

SIMULANT

Quote from: SM on Aug 12, 2013, 02:05:32 AM
QuoteI also have Resurrection but I'm not sure if I played that through with codes or not.

The missions don't get any varied from beyond the first two except the boss battle with the Newborn hybrid alien. (which is frustrating)

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: SM on Aug 12, 2013, 02:05:32 AM

It wasn't terribly engaging or atmospheric like AvP 1999 was.

SM

SM

I thought it was really atmospheric, but the lack of save points, crummy aiming and lack of time have kept me from it for some time.

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: SM on Aug 12, 2013, 05:23:50 AM
I thought it was really atmospheric, but the lack of save points, crummy aiming and lack of time have kept me from it for some time.

I think for me, by the time I played it I'd cut my teeth on Perfect Dark as my go to FPS, so Resurrection just wasn't as fun for me.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Its hard to go back and play those older games sometimes.  Not all of them age well. 

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: Kimarhi on Aug 12, 2013, 06:22:58 AM
Its hard to go back and play those older games sometimes.  Not all of them age well.

If XBLA released an Alien Trilogy remake I'd buy it. The Doom release they have is pretty fun. It's an efficient game, easy to figure out and fairly fun. I feel like Alien trilogy would be with a two joystick configuration. Isn't the original game not dualshock compatible?

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Indeed.  I'd play a remake with updated graphics and ragdoll.

I have trouble playing fps without ragdoll.  I'll play avp2 and the same guy dying and falling forward without a head every single f**king animation kills it for me.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed