Alien Trilogy discussion

Started by Inverse Effect, Aug 03, 2013, 06:22:27 PM

Author
Alien Trilogy discussion (Read 14,292 times)

Inverse Effect

Inverse Effect

After the giant flop of A:CM i recently bought a PS1 and this game. And i can tell you, sure graphics have come along way. And i suppose you could call A:CM an evolution of this game (or a De-evolution haha) But damn, this game is so much more fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS0NPEMcpzc#

SM

SM

I've mucked around with it on an emulator.  Fun, but I kept dying so often I had to use cheat codes so I could play through - and I never use cheat codes.  Some of them later levels would've been near impossible otherwise!

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

There is one level later on in the game where each adult runner alien has half the health of the queen.  Freaking ridiculous. 

Alien Res and AvP DC are still way harder though as a whole.  Might be because I played AT on Saturn/PS1.  Despite what people say, I think playing on console is easier than keyboarding it up.

Valaquen

Valaquen

I had this when it first came out. Tip: 1gotp1nk8cidbootson. Such a memorable cheat, I never forgot it.

I remember feeling the creeps run through me when the facehugger latched itself to the screen...

DC

DC

Quote from: Kimarhi on Aug 06, 2013, 08:24:29 AM
There is one level later on in the game where each adult runner alien has half the health of the queen.  Freaking ridiculous. 

Lead Mold. Don't even think about trying it out without cheats on.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I've beat it without cheats.  I just run them all in a group and grenade/seismic survey charge them since those were still instakills.  I do remember one playthrough on that level though where I literally had the pistol as my only remaining weapon which you can't technically run out of ammo. 

Think there was like two aliens left and I was running everywhere to try and escape.

The pistol doesn't run out of ammo, but once you get it to one round left it goes to the reload animation and only loads........one round.

But this was back in the time when I remembered the layouts for the levels.  Probably fourteen or fifteen years ago and it was sega saturn and ps1.  On the standard difficulty.  That level was still noticeably harder than any other level in the game.

DC

DC

Kind of off topic, but not really since the OP mentions it in his post, is Colonial Marines worth it? I've heard that it sucks...

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

It is pretty bad, but if your a diehard Aliens fan you'll get it anyways.  I didn't have it till after a month when it came out and everybody was telling me it was terrible and the game reviews were godawful and I still got it.  And the DLCs.

So yeah.  Might want to wait for it to drop in price.

nostalgicalgorithms

This game works great on Dosbox. The only problem I had with the game is that they didn't rework any of the graphics for the PC. So what looked good on a old TV on playstation hardware looked pretty awful and rough on the PC. The story was a mess but honesty they cared more about making fun games then than crafting a story.

SIMULANT

SIMULANT

had this on the sega saturn one of my favourite Alien games. Sure it complete disorts the story of the franchise but it does in an enjoyable way. Trying to meld all three films into one continuous story (as in the prison is put as part of the colony rather than a separate planet. it is hard as well as im sure most of you know that, trying it on the hardest difficulty really gives you a ride. Each alien takes like 40 shotgun bullets to go down.

Also speaking of alien games, has anyone ever completed Alien-resurrection without cheating?

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Yes.  Its pretty simple once you figure out every time you flip a switch or open a door you trigger an encounter.

I've never tried it on the hardest difficulty though.  I run short of patience.

aliens13

aliens13

Quote from: SIMULANT on Aug 07, 2013, 10:01:40 PM
had this on the sega saturn one of my favourite Alien games. Sure it complete disorts the story of the franchise but it does in an enjoyable way. Trying to meld all three films into one continuous story (as in the prison is put as part of the colony rather than a separate planet. it is hard as well as im sure most of you know that, trying it on the hardest difficulty really gives you a ride. Each alien takes like 40 shotgun bullets to go down.

Also speaking of alien games, has anyone ever completed Alien-resurrection without cheating?
It's impossible win the Alien Resurrection without cheats, I have a friend that he says that he won the game without cheats, but I don't believe it  ;D

nostalgicalgorithms

You have to play it with the PlayStation mouse. Which is getting really hard to find these days. It works on the PS2 even! Funny that when it came out few early games supported it and then one of the last games for the PSone chose to support the device. It makes playing the game much easier.

SM

SM

Yeah the aiming in Resurrection is shite.

PsyKore

PsyKore

A:RES is not too bad; you just need to know where everything spawns from and be ready. Ammo isn't really a problem either if you know where everything is. First time through the game, though, is extremely tough going. But repeat playthroughs are easier.

I finished the game legitimately much later on PS2 and using the analog sticks - made things a lot more do-able control-wise as opposed to using the D-pad on PS1. When I first played it on PS1, I died often and had to cheat through the last few levels. The game was cool as hell, though, because it made me want to keep going to beat it. It was tense all the way and good fun.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed