Alien Trilogy discussion

Started by Inverse Effect, Aug 03, 2013, 06:22:27 PM

Author
Alien Trilogy discussion (Read 14,366 times)

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

Always loved the intro music and title sequence too. Nice mix of all three films in one.

razeak

razeak

I really think its a better game than how it was received at the time. Its just so brutal. The reviews are good, I just think its more upper tier.

molasar

molasar

Quote from: razeak on May 24, 2019, 12:59:12 PM
I really think its a better game than how it was received at the time. Its just so brutal. The reviews are good, I just think its more upper tier.
It was considered obsolete in comparison to PC's Quake in 1996, I guess but PCs were not a standard home gaming systems yet.
I myself considered it a high jump especially from 16-bit consoles and computers (SNES/Genesis/Amiga). It was definitely a great game for the fans, maybe not so for those who preferred a larger variety in terms of weapons and enemies in Doom/Duke Nukem/Dark Forces.

razeak

razeak

True. Quake was revolutionary. I would say Alien Trilogy stands up well vs the other traditional FPS of the era.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: molasar on May 24, 2019, 03:15:28 PM
It was considered obsolete in comparison to PC's Quake in 1996, I guess but PCs were not a standard home gaming systems yet.

PC was not standard in 1996? Really? Yeah it was. PC gaming was really taking off by the mid 90s. Wolf3D, Doom, Quake and Duke Nukem 3D had propelled the PC market to booming heights. To say nothing of Dark Forces, Terminal Velocity, the entire shareware revolution from the 80s into the early 90s.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

PC gamers once laughed at the notion that console multiplayer gaming would ever surpass them.

IT'S TRUE.

molasar

molasar

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jun 16, 2019, 04:08:02 AM
Quote from: molasar on May 24, 2019, 03:15:28 PM

PC was not standard in 1996? Really? Yeah it was. PC gaming was really taking off by the mid 90s. Wolf3D, Doom, Quake and Duke Nukem 3D had propelled the PC market to booming heights. To say nothing of Dark Forces, Terminal Velocity, the entire shareware revolution from the 80s into the early 90s.

By "standard" I meant that you could see it in every gamer's household. Especially the one which could run Quake.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Games were just different on consoles and PCs.  I was playing Metroid, Castlevania, FF, Zelda, and mario on my snes.

On the computer I was playing Mechwarrior, Doom, Descent, Diablo, and Tomb Raider.

Like two different worlds but both still great in their own ways.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

One thing that has always stood out to me in Alien Trilogy was that the corporate mercs in AT and their bald heads reminded me of the prisoners and the forced labor aspect of Alien3.

So there isnt anything to support this in game (that I can remember) but I always thought of the corporate mercs  forced guns as opposed to guns for hire.

AVP-CAPCOM

AVP-CAPCOM

Found this game to be way too slow, pondering and boring upon release in UK March 1996!

I recall wanting fast PS1 games like StarBlade Alpha and Ace Combat and almost got those two. But a bullying member of GAME/Electronics Boutique staff used a hard sell to flog ALIEN-Trilogy to me.

It wasn't only cause ALIEN was old hat by then, but cause I'd played frantically paced games like ALIENS By Electric Dreams Software UK on the ZX Spectrum (aka ALIENS- US edition) and ALIEN 3 on the Sega Genesis and Mega Drive.

Graphics were good but the engine was slow.

razeak

razeak

I think those are corporate synthetics, not mercs in Alien Trilogy.

molasar

molasar

Quote from: AVP-CAPCOM on Oct 01, 2019, 11:43:58 AM
Found this game to be way too slow, pondering and boring upon release in UK March 1996!

I recall wanting fast PS1 games like StarBlade Alpha and Ace Combat and almost got those two. But a bullying member of GAME/Electronics Boutique staff used a hard sell to flog ALIEN-Trilogy to me.

It wasn't only cause ALIEN was old hat by then, but cause I'd played frantically paced games like ALIENS By Electric Dreams Software UK on the ZX Spectrum (aka ALIENS- US edition) and ALIEN 3 on the Sega Genesis and Mega Drive.

The slow engine?
How old were you at the time?
Have you ever used a run button in it?
If they made it run faster then it would become unplayable. Check a PC port which has a game speed tethered to CPU frequency as a proof of this.
To be honest I commend GAME/Electronic Boutique staff for their work in this case because the game was smoking hot at the time unlike StarBlade Alpha and Air Combat. I would not like somebody trying to sell me yesterday's papers if there is the new one available.
'ALIEN was old hat by then' - it never gets old. It is one of the best templates for video games (especially based on Aliens 1986) that is still in use.
Regarding Aliens (US ed.) and Alien 3 MD/Gen you should play Alien Trilogy on the hardest level of difficulty for frantic paced experience (it has some levels with a time limit either).
Summarizing - Alien Trilogy was the ultimate video gaming Alien/Aliens experience in 1996.
Are you sure you were a fan of the franchise?

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: molasar on Oct 01, 2019, 03:21:50 PM
Quote from: AVP-CAPCOM on Oct 01, 2019, 11:43:58 AM

The slow engine?
How old were you at the time?
Have you ever used a run button in it?
If they made it run faster then it would become unplayable. Check a PC port which has a game speed tethered to CPU frequency as a proof of this.
To be honest I commend GAME/Electronic Boutique staff for their work in this case because the game was smoking hot at the time unlike StarBlade Alpha and Air Combat. I would not like somebody trying to sell me yesterday's papers if there is the new one available.
'ALIEN was old hat by then' - it never gets old. It is one of the best templates for video games (especially based on Aliens 1986) that is still used.
Regarding Aliens (US ed.) and Alien 3 MD/Gen you should play Alien Trilogy on the hardest level of difficulty for frantic paced experience (it has some levels with a time limit either).
Summarizing - Alien Trilogy was the ultimate video gaming Alien/Aliens experience in 1996.
Are you sure you were a fan of the franchise?

Ouch

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: razeak on Oct 01, 2019, 01:56:30 PM
I think those are corporate synthetics, not mercs in Alien Trilogy.

The mercs were the bald ones with red blood..............the androids were the smart gunners with white blood. 

razeak

razeak

I didn't remember red blood. Been a while. Must be time for a play through.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed