Stasis Interrupted DLC Walkthroughs & Discussion [Spoilers]

Started by ikarop, Jul 23, 2013, 05:26:20 PM

Author
Stasis Interrupted DLC Walkthroughs & Discussion [Spoilers] (Read 81,809 times)

Terx2

I played it. Enjoyed it more than actual campaign. I did enjoy the new huds (Wish that was an option in multiplayer) This is sadly the only dlc I recommend. The others don't add much else. The story was Mehish they did a good job for making it make some sense. As for Rebelion they should have another crack at it. I enjoyed AVP2010 despite the small campaigns I would enjoy a sequel.

Cpl Nish

What if Bioware (Mass Effect Series) teamed with EA Redwood (Dead Space 1) and Turtle Rock/Valve (Left 4 Dead Series) to form a dream team which ripped the Aliens franchise from 20th Century Fox and created the ULTIMATE Aliens game?! ...  :o

Kimarhi

Quote from: PsyKore on Jul 31, 2013, 06:46:10 AM
Quote from: acheronbeing on Jul 30, 2013, 12:58:35 PM
Quote from: PsyKore on Jul 30, 2013, 12:23:11 PM
I thought the first two levels especially - gameplay-wise - were pretty good. They felt like they had more life to them and they were well paced. There was also a lot more attention put into the visual design and layout of the levels which made it fun. The characters also felt more like real people - well, close to it at least - as opposed to the silly hero types in the main game. Hell, even the characters that died in a short time felt better compared to those in the main game.

Unfortunately, the story concerning Hick's is laughable. But that's to be expected, I guess.

Just a shame it wasn't longer. The story sucks but those first levels were still really fun. I'd love a full 8-12 hour long game with the style of those first levels.
The game would be in the crtical need of making those "aliens" from the scratch as well. Those levels can be as scary or jumpy as you want them to be, but all that tension that indeed is intended to achieve gets shredded to pieces by the moment one of those tiny attempts of the alien pops up on screen; a moment that is intended to scare you suddenly turns into a moment of inevitable laugh

If game developers keep making the aliens as small and pathetically weak as we are used to then the aliens will never be feared again. Bring back their original stunning size plus that human-like behaviour, or they aliens will keep sucking over and over again, attempt after attempt.

You can't just make an aliens game scary relying only on non-armed moments, scary places, etc. You need the aliens, at least the original Giger's alien (in a game) to rise to the occasion. Otherwise everything fails

I agree on the principal here, but there needs to be a balance for the sake of gameplay. If the aliens acted like they did in the films, then it would be an extremely frustrating game. But the Aliens definitely do need to intimidate the player so every encounter is tense.

Also, in all fairness, every game made with Aliens in it hasn't really been any different from A:CM - you can mow them down rather easily in every game.

However, as far as depicting them goes, I think Alien Resurrection on Playstation 1 actually did it the best. That game actually was frightening and made you peek around corners. Developers really need to look at how that was done and expand on it.

They were much tougher in Alien Res than AvP.  Still think the first was the most intense because of the AI's propensity to follow you throughout the map from their spawn points and their speed.  Res was a good game, but hard for different reasons.  Mainly the toughness upgrade to the Xeno and the lack of ammo for your power weapons.

acheronbeing

acheronbeing

AR was perhaps best aliens game we've ever been given to date, although the aliens were still very tiny in that game too.

Believe It or not the size of the aliens in all videogames is, If not the greatest, maybe one of the biggest problems. Do you really believe all that bullshit that has been thrown over and over again for many years by many people that insist they need to be small for gameplay purposes, or classic hitboxes lolexcuses?, making them based on their stunning size is a must too. Until then, you can make them as intelligent, or fast, or whatever you want..., you will still laugh at them as you meet them head on and realize your even taller than them.

SPECIAL FORCES

SPECIAL FORCES

Quote from: acheronbeing on Jul 31, 2013, 06:04:23 PM
AR was perhaps best aliens game we've ever been given to date

I believe AvP'99 is by far the best game if we are talking about the Marine and Pred campaign.
Especially the no save system made it really intense.No blocking,fast and of course the random enemy spawns.
Plus i was 17 when it was released XD

The 2nd AvP was good too but the first one was much harder.

Jango1201

AR was perhaps best aliens game we've ever been given to date, although the aliens were still very tiny in that game too.

Believe It or not the size of the aliens in all videogames is, If not the greatest, maybe one of the biggest problems. Do you really believe all that bullshit that has been thrown over and over again for many years by many people that insist they need to be small for gameplay purposes, or classic hitboxes lolexcuses?, making them based on their stunning size is a must too. Until then, you can make them as intelligent, or fast, or whatever you want..., you will still laugh at them as you meet them head on and realize your even taller than them.

I agree with this. Doom 3 had no problems with their gigantic Hell Knights. Even the smaller enemies like the imps and Revenents towered over the player.

acheronbeing

Quote from: Jango1201 on Jul 31, 2013, 10:57:48 PMI agree with this. Doom 3 had no problems with their gigantic Hell Knights. Even the smaller enemies like the imps and Revenents towered over the player.
Not to mention doom3 still stands as the proof a good aliens game can be done. Indeed, doom3 is still for me best arcade-horror style game I've ever played. I still remember the legion of turds crying because you had to switch between your flashlight and weapons..., too bad ID listened to them eventually. This was another example of how much careful you have to be when listening to fan feedback.

Kimarhi

The flashlight thing in Doom 3 was just a cheap way to add tension.  It is silly.  If we can mount lights to our helmets, weapons, and have NVGs in the modern age, all that shit should be pretty standard stuff in the future. 

Its something that pissed me off about AvP2 as well.  Its 200 years in the future and we don't have a battery that last more than five seconds for our shoulder lamps......

Blatant way to try and induce tension when your moping around in dark tunnels and your light cuts out.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Kimarhi on Aug 01, 2013, 06:42:37 AM
The flashlight thing in Doom 3 was just a cheap way to add tension.  It is silly.  If we can mount lights to our helmets, weapons, and have NVGs in the modern age, all that shit should be pretty standard stuff in the future. 
For what it's worth, the fairly recent Doom3 BFG Edition outright fixes this (by now having your flashlight "mounted to your armor", 'Aliens'-style), and the game still manages to be pretty damn scary.

PsyKore

The Aliens smaller size isn't done for gameplay reasons. That's a modelling disparity. It doesn't just affect Aliens though... but that's another subject altogether.

The Aliens lesser physical prowess when confronting the player in games is for gameplay, however. When looking back through their game history, they tend to only ever display real feats of strength or smart thinking in cutscenes or scripts.

Terx2

Quote from: Xenomrph on Aug 01, 2013, 09:02:05 AM
For what it's worth, the fairly recent Doom3 BFG Edition outright fixes this (by now having your flashlight "mounted to your armor", 'Aliens'-style), and the game still manages to be pretty damn scary.

Still drains the battery quicky making it just a tad more tense.

Its something that pissed me off about AvP2 as well.  Its 200 years in the future and we don't have a battery that last more than five seconds for our shoulder lamps......

Blatant way to try and induce tension when your moping around in dark tunnels and your light cuts out.

It was equipment problems in AVP2 that they explain in dialogue during the second mission.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Terx2 on Aug 01, 2013, 10:06:28 AM

I don't think the flashlight in Doom3 had a "battery".

Jango1201

The flash light does but it takes quite a while for it to go out.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Huh, I stand corrected.

I just beat the "caves" section, that was really great. Like I'd consider that whole bit to be a huge standout part of the entire game (both the DLC and the main campaign). It felt very 'Aliens', with Aliens pursuing you on all sides, Lurkers stalking you all over, the invincible Queen chasing you down, and a Crusher at the end for flavor. I really liked it.

Kimarhi

Quote from: Terx2 on Aug 01, 2013, 10:06:28 AM

It was equipment problems in AVP2 that they explain in dialogue during the second mission.

That was for their verson of NODS/NVGs.  Jones had to tie it into the shoulder lamps battery and it would drain it quickly.   Just like the shoulder lamp itself. 

Its just a way to add tension.  No self respecting soldier is going to be walking around in the field with white lights anyways.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed