Stasis Interrupted DLC Walkthroughs & Discussion [Spoilers]

Started by ikarop, Jul 23, 2013, 05:26:20 PM

Author
Stasis Interrupted DLC Walkthroughs & Discussion [Spoilers] (Read 81,814 times)

Xenomorphine

Quote from: RagingDragon on Jul 29, 2013, 05:28:47 PM
Despite the generic non-story and the Predator feeling like the focus of the game, the aliens in AvP 2010 were waaaay better.

Far from ideal, though.

Still waiting for a company who can replicate the way that Alien pounced from one wall/pillar to the next, hurtling towards Ripley, when she was rescuing Newt, instead of crawling along the floor on all fours. Stuff like that should be just stupidly easy with today's technology.

Still, probably the best attempt, to date, at portraying a Predator's leap - even if it didn't make sense for it to be literally playing out in the heads-up display.

Kimarhi

It just kind of pisses me off that everybody that develops these games says they are fans of the movies but they only take certain aspects of things they want to use.

Aliens can beat through steel doors in Aliens, carry an armored Marine with a full combat load up a wall one handed, yet can't keep an advantage over a pinned Marine in ACM.  And I loved how a backpedaling Marine was faster than a front running Praetorian in the second AvP2 game.  Only the Runner has shown the kind of ridiculous speed the Aliens had in the first AvP game, but I'm pretty sure most predators evolved to kill the kind of prey that the Aliens kill can catch up to its prey if its facing the wrong direction.  (still love AvP2 but it has got its flaws).

Even the Predator was better balanced in the original AvP.  He was a walking punishment sponge in the first game to be sure, but he also was a walking punishment sponge with few health pickups (or charges for that health) and slow repeating weapons.

Still think the first AvP despite its flaws is the best Aliens game in the franchise.

I do think AvP2010 did better portraying the Marines than any of the other games though.  Even ACM.  Epic shit talking hardasses who spend all their time in the gym getting their upper body swell on.

Also tired of all these games insisting on retelling stories that have already been told.  ACM would've been a better game if it only featured Acheron at the beginning or not at all.  And I'm also tired of how blatantly evil everybody has to make Weyland Yutani.  The dudes are douchebags, but if they did have a covert ops Weapons Division that nobody was supposed to know about they wouldn't be telling everybody who the f**k they were by wearing company logos and identification on their persons, equipments, buildings, starships.

The franchise as a whole is so much wasted potential.  I don't get my hopes up for ANYTHING related to the franchise anymore.  Books, movies, games etc.  I remember coming out of Alien Resurrection at the theater being like, "What the f**k?"

If only I had known that AvP2 (game) would probably be the highpoint for the rest of the franchise after Res.  Probably wouldn't have spent so much time on Gamegossip and here hoping that something would've come along to surpass it.

alucard624

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 23, 2013, 09:15:02 PM
Quote from: Stringer2355 on Jul 23, 2013, 08:57:44 PM

Canon!

That part alone was very eerie and quite off putting.  It also in some ways cheapened Alien 3 a bit IMO.  Granted, almost no one was happy with Hicks dying in the 3rd movie, but the way the game brought him back to life was kind of cheesy and came off almost like fan fiction.  But, I guess the loophole of not actually seeing his face in Alien 3 when they show the cryotube provided enough room to change that part of the story.

Cpl Nish

Cpl Nish

Quote from: Jarac on Jul 29, 2013, 02:54:42 PM
Quote from: Cpl Nish on Jul 29, 2013, 10:51:45 AM
I didn't mind the campaign nor the dlc aimed at filling in campaign/aliens/alien3 blanks however i do agree the writing should of been tighter and certain scenes/dialogue expanded on.

With any luck we will get an entirely new story going another direction within the aliens universe on the next gen consoles.

Hopefully a better publisher and better developer, i would say EA and Dice.  what would you guys say?

I despise EA with a passion of a thousand suns and would be loathe to buy an Aliens game with their name on it. Now, I like DICE and Visceral, but I don't like Daddy EA and the thought about how they would handle it. Remember, DS3 didn't exactly keep with the scary elements and went more action-focused (like what SEGA wanted by making the game more like CoD).

So... no to EA because I know how their track record is with games like this. But Visceral would be the best one to do it if EA was ever to get their hands on the franchise (please, no).

Fair enough lol

I think Bioware would make an awesome game???

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Jul 29, 2013, 04:43:25 PM
Let Rebellion work on the next title involving Aliens. Even though AVP10 has it's faults you can still tell Rebellion cared.

i agree too, although i think dice or bioware would be good choices i also think the old masters that are rebellion deserve another crack.  with some decent funding they could make a really really good game

PsyKore

I thought the first two levels especially - gameplay-wise - were pretty good. They felt like they had more life to them and they were well paced. There was also a lot more attention put into the visual design and layout of the levels which made it fun. The characters also felt more like real people - well, close to it at least - as opposed to the silly hero types in the main game. Hell, even the characters that died in a short time felt better compared to those in the main game.

Unfortunately, the story concerning Hick's is laughable. But that's to be expected, I guess.

Just a shame it wasn't longer. The story sucks but those first levels were still really fun. I'd love a full 8-12 hour long game with the style of those first levels.

acheronbeing

acheronbeing

Quote from: PsyKore on Jul 30, 2013, 12:23:11 PM
I thought the first two levels especially - gameplay-wise - were pretty good. They felt like they had more life to them and they were well paced. There was also a lot more attention put into the visual design and layout of the levels which made it fun. The characters also felt more like real people - well, close to it at least - as opposed to the silly hero types in the main game. Hell, even the characters that died in a short time felt better compared to those in the main game.

Unfortunately, the story concerning Hick's is laughable. But that's to be expected, I guess.

Just a shame it wasn't longer. The story sucks but those first levels were still really fun. I'd love a full 8-12 hour long game with the style of those first levels.
The game would be in the crtical need of making those "aliens" from the scratch as well. Those levels can be as scary or jumpy as you want them to be, but all that tension that indeed is intended to achieve gets shredded to pieces by the moment one of those tiny attempts of the alien pops up on screen; a moment that is intended to scare you suddenly turns into a moment of inevitable laugh

If game developers keep making the aliens as small and pathetically weak as we are used to then the aliens will never be feared again. Bring back their original stunning size plus that human-like behaviour, or they aliens will keep sucking over and over again, attempt after attempt.

You can't just make an aliens game scary relying only on non-armed moments, scary places, etc. You need the aliens, at least the original Giger's alien (in a game) to rise to the occasion. Otherwise everything fails

SPECIAL FORCES

SPECIAL FORCES

How about the graphics? Was there any real improvement? Especially on the details.
I remember on the begging of the game,after you get out to the hangar and then enter a locker room,there were some bottles or something on the floor.Reminded me of Sega Saturn 3d Shooters.

WarriorRidged

WarriorRidged

People often talk about Rebellion making another Aliens game, why not Monolith?

JokersWarPig

Quote from: WarriorRidged on Jul 30, 2013, 03:09:21 PM
People often talk about Rebellion making another Aliens game, why not about Monolith?

Monolith needs to get their balls back and make a proper F.E.A.R 3 that retcons that god awful F.3.A.R

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Pretty sure Monolith went under.  Wasn't their last game FEAR 2?  If not, hell yeah I'd want them to make another FEAR or AvP with a modern engine.

Local Trouble

I'm gonna go get the papers, get the papers.

Kimarhi

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 30, 2013, 07:56:38 PM
I'm gonna go get the papers, get the papers.

Now you look like the crazy one.

SM

Why didn't I get your mass text? Why didn't I get your mass text?

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: Cpl Nish on Jul 30, 2013, 07:38:48 AM
Quote from: Jarac on Jul 29, 2013, 02:54:42 PM
Quote from: Cpl Nish on Jul 29, 2013, 10:51:45 AM
I didn't mind the campaign nor the dlc aimed at filling in campaign/aliens/alien3 blanks however i do agree the writing should of been tighter and certain scenes/dialogue expanded on.

With any luck we will get an entirely new story going another direction within the aliens universe on the next gen consoles.

Hopefully a better publisher and better developer, i would say EA and Dice.  what would you guys say?

What needs to happen is FOX needs to rip the franchises from SEGA's hands and give them over to a company that won't jostle us with promises stoking our fan-boy/girl expectations with flashy demos and pre-release vidocs/cinematic trailers. Rebellion tried with AvP2010 and now GBX tried with A:CM. Both failed to do much more than amuse some folks, anger the majority of fans, and not reach out to those who haven't ever delved into either movie franchise.

Personally, I like both games. They, like the movies, have their flaws but without being too critical and just playing the game for what it is and not what it isn't, both can be enjoyed. Fact is, I don't get upset about canon-issues or continuity between A:CM and the movies because ultimately the movies are TRUE CANON, and everything else is PERSONAL CANON, or what ever one wants to be canon is in their own mind.

Stasis Interrupted is a great DLC IMO, because it pays more homage to the films while also trying to fill in some plot holes. I must of been the only one who didn't laugh at Turk getting trapped in the cryo tube. I watched it happen and went "ohhh... so that's how they explain that." Works for me. If I start getting too nit-picky, I won't enjoy it. And since I spent money on it, I'd like to enjoy as much of it as possible. My only real complaint was the voice acting. It's clear that the people working on this didn't try very hard to sound convincing. Including Biehn, but we all knew that from the start. Overall, I'd say it's as good, if not a bit better than the main game. Def worth $10

With the next gen-consoles coming out this year, with technology getting better and faster and what game developers are capable of now and in the near-future, I do not doubt that this will be the last Aliens game. I've read about the Alien title in development now, but details are sparse. We'll have to see what that turns out to be like. Slenderman + Alien = Potential?

PsyKore

PsyKore

Quote from: acheronbeing on Jul 30, 2013, 12:58:35 PM
Quote from: PsyKore on Jul 30, 2013, 12:23:11 PM

The game would be in the crtical need of making those "aliens" from the scratch as well. Those levels can be as scary or jumpy as you want them to be, but all that tension that indeed is intended to achieve gets shredded to pieces by the moment one of those tiny attempts of the alien pops up on screen; a moment that is intended to scare you suddenly turns into a moment of inevitable laugh

If game developers keep making the aliens as small and pathetically weak as we are used to then the aliens will never be feared again. Bring back their original stunning size plus that human-like behaviour, or they aliens will keep sucking over and over again, attempt after attempt.

You can't just make an aliens game scary relying only on non-armed moments, scary places, etc. You need the aliens, at least the original Giger's alien (in a game) to rise to the occasion. Otherwise everything fails

I agree on the principal here, but there needs to be a balance for the sake of gameplay. If the aliens acted like they did in the films, then it would be an extremely frustrating game. But the Aliens definitely do need to intimidate the player so every encounter is tense.

Also, in all fairness, every game made with Aliens in it hasn't really been any different from A:CM - you can mow them down rather easily in every game.

However, as far as depicting them goes, I think Alien Resurrection on Playstation 1 actually did it the best. That game actually was frightening and made you peek around corners. Developers really need to look at how that was done and expand on it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed