A question about ALIENS:online

Started by underbound, Jul 13, 2013, 10:39:23 PM

Author
A question about ALIENS:online (Read 2,820 times)

underbound

underbound

Is this still played at all. If so where could I find it or download it.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

You can download an offline-only version of it (I have a copy on my harddrive), but it doesn't run well on modern operating systems. You might be able to get it to work better if you DOSBox it I guess, but I haven't tried that yet myself. The multiplayer servers for it are long-since shut down, and I doubt anyone has rigged up any fan-operated multiplayer servers.

x-M-x

Corporal Hicks

Wasn't someone doing a mod on AvP2 at some point?

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jul 14, 2013, 01:17:04 AM
You can download an offline-only version of it (I have a copy on my harddrive), but it doesn't run well on modern operating systems. You might be able to get it to work better if you DOSBox it I guess, but I haven't tried that yet myself. The multiplayer servers for it are long-since shut down, and I doubt anyone has rigged up any fan-operated multiplayer servers.

Wouldn't work via DOSbox simply because it's a windows program.

Unfortunately A:O is a dead horse. Getting it to even install on 64 bit Windows 7 is impossible. It's a shame. They really need to give this game a remake and put it out there. Using something like the F2P model or through STEAM they could make something really cool.

barker_s

barker_s

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jul 24, 2013, 12:01:41 AM
They really need to give this game a remake and put it out there. Using something like the F2P model or through STEAM they could make something really cool.

That. I would kill to play a proper MMOFPS  game set in Aliens / AvP universe. It's such a shame that the last great installment in the series happened back in 2001.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Unfortunately A:O is a dead horse. Getting it to even install on 64 bit Windows 7 is impossible. It's a shame. They really need to give this game a remake and put it out there. Using something like the F2P model or through STEAM they could make something really cool.
I'll have to do more research on it, but there's a lot of older games that are Windows-based that have been re-released on modern Win7 computers via GOG and Steam, so  I imagine there's a way to get it to work with Aliens Online as well.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

GOG.com and Steam carry a ton of old-school "windows" programs, modified to work on modern operating systems. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a similar workaround for Aliens: Online.

nostalgicalgorithms

nostalgicalgorithms

I have a few versions of Aliens Online archived but you cant do much in them other than shoot some bots. I have no issues using 32bit apps on 64bit machines. Concerning Aliens Online the timing for crouching is messed up on anything but Windows 98. I wouldn't consider AO a dead horse as it was simply forgotten before it really ever had a chance to take off. It was too far ahead of the time, also it used some rather antiquated methods to make a MMOFPS a reality in 1998. A mod for AVP2 was being developed to be a sucessor to AO but it got a COD by Fox. Today you wouldn't have as big of an issue creating such a mod. At the time it could have impacted sales of official games.

Check out the AVP-Redux mod.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/aliens-versus-predator-classic-redux

http://www.moddb.com/games/aliens-online
There is a project attempting to reboot the game called AOR or Aliens Online redux. Check the videos section for the entry at Moddb.

barker_s

barker_s

Hey, thanks for that link nostalgicalgorithms. It's great to have an in-depth look into a game I've never had a chance to play (hell, I don't think I even had a modem back in 2000).

I did check your website at http://www.nostalgicalgorithms.com/ and really like what you're doing with AOR. Please keep us posted with your project. I'll consider a donation and getting into closed beta when I sort out the situation with my current job. Hopefully we'll get some fun out of it before Fox notices ;) .

nostalgicalgorithms

nostalgicalgorithms

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUzsij0-kOU#ws

I toyed with the idea of remaking AO for almost 5 years, but finally in January earlier this year I got serious about it. AOR is a student project and represents my best attempt at learning both the art and code behind game design. The engine powering the game I wrote myself and if they have issues with me using any models I'll make my own. I did a lot of research on "fair use" law and what can pass for educational multimedia so I should be fine. When I finish this project I will gladly share the entire process of what I had to do. One guy remaking an MMOFPS is no small task! :)

If Fox notices then great! Maybe they could take some notes? :D I won't hide my passion for rebuilding this game in the shadows. I'm doing this for the fans and ultimately myself. Glad you like my project so far!

barker_s

barker_s

Thanks for the vid - cool stuff :) . Is that a xenomorph mesh from AvP2? Cerainly looks like it. Although I've heard that extracting animations from .ABC format is nigh impossible, so I guess you'll have to make your own animations.

Quote from: nostalgicalgorithms on Aug 07, 2013, 07:52:13 AM
I did a lot of research on "fair use" law and what can pass for educational multimedia so I should be fine.

Could you please elaborate a bit on that matter and share your findings? I'm sure some people around here (me included) would be interested in that information. I did some research myself (although probably not as thorough as yours) and came into conclusion, that using someone else's IP (especially Fox's ;) ) is a no-go, regardless of it being a non-commercial project.

nostalgicalgorithms

nostalgicalgorithms

Honestly I could write an entire 15 page essay about it. The fact is the law is not clear so its open to interpretation by blood thirsty lawyers. But I will try and break it down:

Fair Use, the Fair Use Test. Fair use is a principle in Copyright Law that provides us with a limited ability to use copyrighted material without getting permission for limited purposes: personal use, non-profit uses, education, criticism or commentary, news reporting and parody. There are no hard rules to determine if an intended use is a Fair Use, but there are test criteria to help in making the decision:

1. What is the purpose and character of the intended use?
         2. What is the nature of the copyrighted work?
         3. How much of the work will be used? And how important is that part?
         4. How would widespread use of this work impact its market value?

I'm a student learning the many processes behind Game Design. In this case the structure behind developing a MMOFPS. Anything created that is of my own design whether it is art or code will be used in my portfolio. When I complete this project I will freely disclose the details and inner workings of the entire project for everyone to study. It would be of great use to anyone interested in developing their own game framework. It will cover the basics of texture mapping, animation, level design, and even some programming. If the IP holder does not want textures or models used from an existing game then I will remove them and come up with my own designs. Which I am capable of doing.

See projects like OpenMorrowind or even FOnline (fallout2 online) for a similar comparison.
http://www.moddb.com/engines/openmw
http://www.moddb.com/engines/fonline-engine

I'm not using much of the original source material since I plan I'm completely remaking most of the models including the animations. The use of textures from Aliens Online were to illustrate proof of concept. It is strictly non-profit but obviously it costs money to run a professional server. When the time comes I will work out all the details behind that. This project is a continuation of what I originally started while in school.

Educational Multimedia:
http://copyright.lib.utexas.edu/ccmcguid.html

Since I'm only one guy the best I can hope for is somewhat dated but stylish visuals. In no way can I impact official sales of something like AVP3 or the disastrous Colonial Marines, nor is that my goal. The best I can hope for is people will like what I'm doing and support the end goal of rebooting a classic Aliens themed FPS. A former hobbyist turned student cannot be held accountable for IP violations when no such violation exists. Will that stop them from trying? Likely not but we will have to wait and see. I'm no a lawyer but any honest individual can clearly see what I'm doing is no different from many other indie projects except that is has the stigma of being related to "Aliens". This has to change and its up to the people (and fans!) because only they can choose to be that motivation force.

barker_s

barker_s

Thank you again, that was very informative :) . Although, as much as I'd like to share your positive outlook on the matter, I don't know if I'd have the guts to stand up to Fox's lawyers if I received a cease & desist letter (though I don't know how much power do they hold outside of the US).

Anyway, I'm also creating an Alien-themed game, so I guess we'll both see how it goes soon enough ;) .

Best of luck!

nostalgicalgorithms

nostalgicalgorithms

Merica is getting bad on well just about everything. Enforcing U.S. in foreign countries and such...

I'd consider a COD an achievement and wear it as a badge of honor. Fan fiction and parody is also protected. Why can't a fan made PC game count as interactive fan fiction? Video games in the history of entertainment are as much a art form as anything else because they require mastery of such a wide variety of tools and knowledge. I'd love to argue this in court. Freedom of expression is supposed to be absolute in Merica long as its not deeming harmful to a particular race.

"Video games were protected speech under the First Amendment as other forms of media."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_v._Entertainment_Merchants_Association

Willing to share any ideas about your project? :D Feel free to email me.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed