Jack Palgen to Write the Script

Started by Aspie, Jun 17, 2013, 11:43:47 PM

Author
Jack Palgen to Write the Script (Read 53,633 times)

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jul 09, 2013, 11:32:00 PM
What I'm looking forward to most are the next batch of interviews where Ridley Scott goes off on some more spontaneously rambling tangents.

Ive said this before and I will say it again. Not to be a jerk but just to be sure this stays fresh in people's minds.

Anyone who says another ALIEN film after PROMETHEUS will not happen is sorely, sorely mistaken.

The ONLY question is what that film will be and if you don't WANT it to be PARADISE, well you can pretty much be assured that the next ALIEN film will be a REBOOT/REMAKE of ALIEN that follows in sequence after PROMETHEUS.

That's how PROMETHEUS set things up, and THAT IS WHAT FOX LOVED ABOUT LINDELOF'S DRAFT.

If you don't root for PARADISE, then you will be delivered an ALIEN reboot.

Do you want that to happen?

After ALIEN 3 - which was a clear ending, we still got A:R.
After A:R effectively ruined the franchise, we ended up with AVP.
After AVP turned a smart adult-themed series into a PG-13 cartoon and everyone hated it, we STILL got AVP-R.
NOBODY LIKED AVP-R. It is one of the most widely despised films in recent memory. It didn't even do well at the BOX OFFICE and yet....
...WE STILL GOT PROMETHEUS!

Even though the next logical step, at that time was a remake/reboot of ALIEN...

Do the math here.

PARADISE or REBOOT. That's whats on the table.

SM

SM

No.  All that's really on the table at this point is Prometheus 2.

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: SM on Jul 10, 2013, 04:38:56 AM
No.  All that's really on the table at this point is Prometheus 2.

Correct PROMETHEUS 2 - which will either be PARADISE / PROMETHEUS 2, or PROMETHEUS 2 The ALIEN REBOOT.

To clarify: Ask yourself if it seems logical enough to start PROMETHEUS 2 with some kind of unwitting Weyland Corp ship of Terraformers, sent from an off-world out-post to Terraform LV223... What follows is a reboot of ALIEN that leads into a reboot of ALIENS. Change character names / add new characters....There. Now its both a sequel to PROMETHEUS AND ALSO a REBOOT OF THE ALIEN series. See how easy that is?

If PARADISE doesn't happen, this will happen. FOX is already taking a risk even considering doing something different when they can just move forward with an ALIEN reboot from here.

If you think some other ALIEN film won't be coming,... You just don't get the film industry. After the success of PROMETHEUS, another film will come one way or the other. Its also worth noting that an ALIEN REBOOT as a PROMETHEUS follow-up, will likely cost them much LESS money than Ridley Scott's PARADISE or whoever directs.

I suppose you could ALSO consider the likelihood that PROMETHEUS 2 will be some combination of both things, that FOX believes will keep fans happy by featuring the alien and possibly also taking place on PARADISE...

Im not completely against that idea, but I'd rather see a more original story follow Prometheus.

PROMETHEUS set-up, what could easily be an ALIEN reboot-PROMETHEUS sequel hybrid. If you think that's not true, you are not seeing the full hand that the PROMETHEUS plot dealt the studio.

It allowed the studio to either A) Make a further original film that continues in the same vein as PROMETHEUS - and becomes PARADISE or B) If PROMETHEUS failed, it provided a larger framework for an ALIEN-REBOOT series, starting with what is essentially and ALIEN reboot.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

I think they could have done an Alien reboot without making a prequel... but I understand what you're saying. To be honest, I'm not sure there is much money in an Alien reboot... it's a much more expensive movie to make than a Halloween or Texas Chainsaw Massacre (which can be done very cheaply), and I'm not sure the market is there to make that money back. Prometheus worked, financially, because it was a prequel and because Scott was coming back to the franchise. I'm not sure they could get that audience again unless they made a very, very good movie.

SM

SM

QuoteIm not completely against that idea, but I'd rather see a more original story follow Prometheus.

And since Riddles pretty much agrees with this and has said any Prometheus sequels will likely move further away from Alien, it renders most of your post kinda void.

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Reboots are for superheroes and tv shows, not cinematic classics. I honestly can't stop laughing at the idea of some young director coming along and casting seven 'hot' young thespians in a remake/reboot of Alien.

The 3rd and 4th Jaws movies sucked. Does Jaws need a reboot?

If that's your idea of entertainment, let me suggest the Monster Truck show...

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: SM on Jul 10, 2013, 12:01:33 PM
QuoteIm not completely against that idea, but I'd rather see a more original story follow Prometheus.

And since Riddles pretty much agrees with this and has said any Prometheus sequels will likely move further away from Alien, it renders most of your post kinda void.

Rite man, but I stated this warning to those who trash PROMETHEUS. Riddles, as you say, is on the same page, but FOX is not yet. They listened to fans reactions and have a choice to make: What is more bankable, a PROMETHEUS 2 that moves further away from ALIEN or one they can market with the ALIEN on board in a real way.

The point is: I WANT PARADISE, not an ALIEN REBOOT. And anyone who doesn't want an ALIEN REBOOT should be EXCITED that PARADISE MAY HAPPEN so we don't get a version of PROMETHEUS 2 that behaves as a reboot.

As for those who said an ALIEN REBOOT isn't marketable, that's just silly. Its certainly cheaper to make than PARADISE and they also have the distinct option to say its a PROMETHEUS SEQUEL and not be lying, when really its an ALIEN REBOOT.

Unfortunately, this remains a bankable, cheaper alternative to PARADISE, so lets keep our fingers crossed that JACK PAGLEN comes up with something exciting for the studio to warm up to. I wish this REBOOT potential for PROMETHEUS 2 wasn't the case, but sadly its like a carrot dangling in front of the producer's faces.
Why take a really expensive risk when you can take the less expensive ace in the hole?

SM

SM

Yeah but looking at the numbers, Prometheus was $230m ahead in box office receipts of the nearest flick with an Alien in it.

And it's third in terms of inflation adjusted box office behind Alien and Aliens which have 33 and 26 years respectively worth of headstart.  And it's Alien and Aliens it's behind.

Despite the apparent rage from some quarters, Prometheus reviewed better among critics and punters than Alien3 and Resurrection and way better than the AvPs.  At this point you'd be angling for more Prometheus than Alien.

Alien³

Alien³

I'm so excited for Prometheus 2. :D

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Jul 10, 2013, 11:45:05 PM
Reboots are for superheroes and tv shows, not cinematic classics. I honestly can't stop laughing at the idea of some young director coming along and casting seven 'hot' young thespians in a remake/reboot of Alien.

The 3rd and 4th Jaws movies sucked. Does Jaws need a reboot?

If that's your idea of entertainment, let me suggest the Monster Truck show...

Yep, this 100% for me, there's no need for a reboot.  Love it or hate it, there's enough scope for Prometheus 2 to be its own thing, even if it did have an alien in it.  Prometheus' shorter than average Jockey was proof enough for me you can take something you did before, and still turn it into something else without harming what's already in place.  I myself expected too much of the prequel thing at first, but once you open your eyes to it, Prometheus can go anywhere it wants, all I want to see is a story that's told in a better way.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: CainsSon on Jul 10, 2013, 04:20:21 AM
If you don't root for PARADISE, then you will be delivered an ALIEN reboot.

That's apparently what 'Prometheus' was going to be before Fox got wind of the bad reaction.

Not that I'd necessarily be averse to a remake of 'Alien', but I can't think of anyone I'd trust to do it right. Plus, it would be just as unnecessary as 'Prometheus', itself, was.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: CainsSon on Jul 11, 2013, 06:44:02 AM
Quote from: SM on Jul 10, 2013, 12:01:33 PM

Rite man, but I stated this warning to those who trash PROMETHEUS. Riddles, as you say, is on the same page, but FOX is not yet. They listened to fans reactions and have a choice to make: What is more bankable, a PROMETHEUS 2 that moves further away from ALIEN or one they can market with the ALIEN on board in a real way.

The point is: I WANT PARADISE, not an ALIEN REBOOT. And anyone who doesn't want an ALIEN REBOOT should be EXCITED that PARADISE MAY HAPPEN so we don't get a version of PROMETHEUS 2 that behaves as a reboot.

As for those who said an ALIEN REBOOT isn't marketable, that's just silly. Its certainly cheaper to make than PARADISE and they also have the distinct option to say its a PROMETHEUS SEQUEL and not be lying, when really its an ALIEN REBOOT.

Unfortunately, this remains a bankable, cheaper alternative to PARADISE, so lets keep our fingers crossed that JACK PAGLEN comes up with something exciting for the studio to warm up to. I wish this REBOOT potential for PROMETHEUS 2 wasn't the case, but sadly its like a carrot dangling in front of the producer's faces.
Why take a really expensive risk when you can take the less expensive ace in the hole?
I think an Alien movie is 'marketable', I just don't think it would be profitable for the studio. Time will tell, but I'd hazzard a guess that Prometheus 2 will be closer to the themes of Prometheus than it will Alien.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: CainsSon on Jul 11, 2013, 06:44:02 AMAnd anyone who doesn't want an ALIEN REBOOT should be EXCITED that PARADISE MAY HAPPEN so we don't get a version of PROMETHEUS 2 that behaves as a reboot.

I've seen the latest Alien reboot and it was shit, so forgive me if I am not excited about a potential sequel in the vain hope that my lack of excitement somehow results in another Alien reboot.

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: SM on Jul 11, 2013, 06:56:23 AM
Yeah but looking at the numbers, Prometheus was $230m ahead in box office receipts of the nearest flick with an Alien in it.

And it's third in terms of inflation adjusted box office behind Alien and Aliens which have 33 and 26 years respectively worth of headstart.  And it's Alien and Aliens it's behind.

Despite the apparent rage from some quarters, Prometheus reviewed better among critics and punters than Alien3 and Resurrection and way better than the AvPs.  At this point you'd be angling for more Prometheus than Alien.

I hope you're right. I really do.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

My two cents.  I don't know about a reboot but I think that Prometheus will move closerto the Alien franchise than further away.  It's just a hunch, but I think most people watch Prometheus expecting some tie in with the Alien series, and that one of the main disappointments of the film was that there wasn't enough of that tie in the movie.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed